Hip Hop mix, feedback is appreciated :)

CUSETOWN

Hey all.. It's been a very long time (years) since I've recorded or mixed any vox. But this past week I've been learning reaper and loving it.. Any tips/feedback is appreciated. Looking for constructive criticism on mix, the way vocals sit in the mix... overall presence, energy etc.. Let me know any thoughts..

https://soundcloud.com/hiphopdrums/kt-jesus

Thank you!

It seems to have too much presence, to me. That high end is almost distorting in spots. Conversely, the low end is kind of lacking. I'm on headphones though, so that's not entirely reliable. Around 1:38, there's an audible crackling noise that continues during that entire section.

The song by you that kicked in after this one, though, was much more balanced frequency-wise. Better sounding low and high end in that one.

It seems to have too much presence, to me. That high end is almost distorting in spots. Conversely, the low end is kind of lacking. I'm on headphones though, so that's not entirely reliable. Around 1:38, there's an audible crackling noise that continues during that entire section.

The song by you that kicked in after this one, though, was much more balanced frequency-wise. Better sounding low and high end in that one.

Thanks for the feedback Andrew. Unfortunately this was a two-track I had to mix vocals over. Whereas the other tracks youre hearing on SoundCloud are things I mixed. The 2 track was way bass-heavy in my opinion and muddy, so i eqd it and I tried to accentuate the transients and set the vocals "in" but truth be told I'm not sure if I made it better or worse LOL.

The crackling you hear toward the end, is actually in the whole thing, just more noticeable at the end.. It's static on the record the sample came from. ;)

Last edited:
Back