Hi from the new guy...

darwinsdoggy

Although I've been lurking in here for awhile I've never actually posted anything. So first a quick hello. Having said that, I've put up a song that I would love to get some feedback on. It's a pretty big file(the thing just got away from me). I'm just looking for any thoughts you may have on the sound and the overall mix. Any suggestions would be helpful. My wife insists it sounds like it just came out of the eighties(she may be right)...

Thanx...

http://www.nowhereradio.com/imagesea

Click on "discography" and the "singles"
the song is "Seasons in the Dream"

Lance Langlois(darwinsdoggy)

Welcome to the new guy! My only complaint is, I could'nt hear the drums! Oh, and this should really be 2 songs. That acoustic part was definitely good enough to be its own song.

Twist

Hey - welcome

I seem to be missing some kick & bass. The elec. guitar sounds a little thin, but not too bad. The voice is missing something. I can't put my finger on it. Sometimes it sounds too dry but still I am hearing a fair bit of processing on it. Maybe some reverb and sit it back in the mix just a little?

Hey, I really like that acoustic part in the middle, except it doesn't really fit in there. Maybe if you just ended it there, but when you bring in the drums again it just doesn't fit.

Not a bad mix though. Keep in mind that I'm listening on computer speakers so, I defer to others with better monitors :D

Thanx for the input guys...I was brainstorming the idea of removing the acoustic part for the same reasons, mostly because it seems to sit well on its own.

Nice writing man......i agree about the vocal sound being weird. Did you compress the crap out of it? If so....a little less please. I like the song a lot, especially the driving sections. The muddy sounding vox really detracts from the tune though 'cause every time it comes in I kinda focus on that.
I don't mind the acoustic interlude actually. Judging from the comments, I was expecting it to be really jarring but it was allright although it need a little more to be effective...either some sort of ride or vocals or something to give more of a reason for it to be there and then when it goes back to the song....it just kinda peters out. That needs to either be more powerful or not be there at all....you could just end it with the acoustic.

Nice work...welcome to the clinic!!

welcome double d., good tune, and what the guys said, about the acoustic part. It's kinda like a new tune starting. If it were louder and a cool lead riff backing it, could work. Keep up the good work.

Nice song. Great guitar sound on the guit playing the higher part. For some reason, I just like the tone. Good part too. You did some interesting things with the vocals - panning, double/single tracking during various sections.

Some weirdness with the vocals and perhaps a clip at :43. Some vocal syncing issues during the double tracked sections. Very minor though.

It's a fairly long song. The musical interlude that begins at about 3:20 is really pretty. But I'm not sure it adds much to this song. If it were me, I'd take it out (and make another song out of it). That's just me though.

Again, my thanx to everyone for the input. The vox on this song(and mine in general I suppose)are somewhat of a thorn in my side. I don't have a particularly strong voice, usually just enough control to keep someone from getting up and banging the gong(some older members will recognize the reference). Thus, I do ALOT of tweaking here and there with alot of experimenting with very little in-depth experience of the finer points of sound mechanics. I'm working on it but have yet to find that happy place between reverb and compression. Alas, the search continues. Thanks to all...

I liked the vibe of the song a lot. I think the instruments just need to be mixed a little differently to bring them "closer" to the listener. I'd love to hear that snare louder and then everything else sit around that snare.
I do agree about the acoustic part as well. Maybe an intro instead!?
RF

very nice tune. I like the parts you got for it, the acoustic part has been metioned. Id like to hear a big round dark bass pumpin under your guitar parts for support. maybe thicken the snare so it thocks real strong, the kick could use some wood batter and volume on it for definition. The tune rocks man, Id love to play that one myself.

very nice tune. The vocal could be louder and bring the tone out in it a little more, but its good singing. I like the parts you got for the tune, the acoustic part has been mentioned. Id like to hear a big round dark bass pumpin under your guitar parts for support. maybe thicken the snare so it "thocks" real strong, the kick could use some wood batter and volume on it for definition. The tune rocks man, Id love to play that one myself.

i LOOOOOVE that intro groove....fuck i love that...ok BUT too much effects on the vocals.....for my taste....guitar sounds great tho...
"out of site out of mind"...cool line...is this a drum machine?...pretty coool fills if you programmed it ..nice work

jamal

I love the flanger on the ride in the beginning, and it's got a great groove! Kinda dark...cool! Your voice sounds a bit like someone but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe Ian Anderson?? I could have used a few more drums and bass, but still, it sounded good! I certainly agree with the others....use that acoustic part for something else!

Back