Hi.... 'member me? :op

WATYF

...happier than you.
Of course you don't... you're all a bunch of newbies. :p

So anyways... First submission in a while... and it's not even me.. :p (well, most of it isn't.)

This buddy of mine helped me out at my wedding (last minute stand-in DJ... and no,.. that does not make him a musician. :p) and so I promised him I'd record a song for him.... and this is it.

He wrote it (most of it), played the piano and did all the vocals. My bro did the bass track, I "assembled" the drum loops, played the acoustic parts, wrote the chorus, produced it, mixed it, helped him arrange it/track it, etc. etc. blah blah blah...

Anywhoo... you may remember (those of you who have been here more than five minutes, that is... :p) that I put up one of this guy's songs a long time ago (named Breathe), which certain unnamed people (*cough*mixmkr*cough*) ripped to pieces. (and for good reason... I mean... the recording did suck after all :p) But this is by far a much better recording over-all...

There are some issues, though. I'm having trouble getting seperation in the chorus (as always)... and some of the levels are questionable... but he was happy with it.

I think my brother's Genelecs (sp?) have an accentuated high-end, because this mix sounded very "crisp" when I mixed it at his house, but when playing it on my own monitors (Studiophile 8B's) it sounds much more dull. (so maybe my monitor's high-end is just de-accentuated :p)

I decided on a "bare" vocal (i.e. no 'verb) We both kinda liked the "in-your-face" feel of it. Let me know if that's too plain.

btw.... if you're patient enough, I left a nice little "flub" at the end of the MP3. (If you turn it up, you can hear me yelling from the control-room after he kinda goofs up the words just a teeny bit. :p)

Have at it.

Storm

WATYF

BTW I tuned my cheap laminate top to DADGAD so I could play along w/your cover of "Tell Her"...

Now the guitar doesn't want to go back :(

It's your fault :mad:

Downloading now :p

C

Nice PNO... a little dark, but nicely played... good composition...

Whoa... the voice is very "close"... sounds like a Radiohead experiment, actually...

There's MR. TAYLOR w/that boast-y tone... STRUM "HERE'S THE 414!!" STRUM... "HERE IT IS!!" :p

Nice maj7... said it before, will say it again... "such a sad, but hopeful chord"...

Hey... drums sound suspiciously like the kit used on Jamal's "Last Hurrah".... hmmm... ;)

Some proximity effect on vocals... "the rain falls on my fAAce..."

Can hear some of the natural "room" in this... NEAT...

Good job w/panning when the arrangement fills out, and nice job dropping the voice back into a "pocket" as it were... BGV's complimentary of WATYF?? :)

Really very nice composition here... very big Radiohead w/an American accent vibe...

Ha... "when I call out blah blah blah!!" haha YEAH!!

C

Where ya' been man! :)

Nice song......nice performance.....vox sounds a little too dark.......needs a low-cut....maybe around 250-350 hz or so.
Glad to see you back around.......

Yeah dude, I remember ya. The preamp thread...lets not go there.

Completely agree with Lt. Bob on the lo mid thing. A little too warm on the lo end of the vocal.

I'm also picking up an overall roll off on the highs. The guitar strings are just not sparkly. Kind of sounds like you tracked it all with the same preamp or didn't let the highs through. Might be a monitoring thing.

Liked the tune and the mix placement was good as was the production. Just some EQ tweaking and your there.

MM

Hey Watyf,
....Nice and clean! Im listening on the computer at work, so take it for what its worth....bla bla bla:rolleyes: :D From here, I like the darker aspect of the recording. It kinda fits the song, imo. I'll have to hit this again from home. Im not usually a fan of vocals that are this "in your face", but I like these. Again,....kinda adds to the spooky/meloncholy vibe of the tune. I agree w/ the radiohead comparison. This was a nice listen. It coulda been a little longer:p ......
...nice work man. He got his fair share of the deal.
g

nice song. i like darker recordings in contrast to the mostly brittle, airy stuff you hear from most home recordings.

the piano sounded nice, but i'm listening on computer speakers right now. i'll give it another listen later in my pristine, basement listening environment :).

part... Hey man. Sorry to hear aboot your guitar. But that's what you get when you try to tune a cheap guitar to DADGAD. ;) Next time,... buy a Taylor. :D Thanks for the comments. We were pretty happy with the piano sound. It's a Yamaha P-80. It has a great piano sound.... and that's pretty much it. :p (the rest of it's sounds suck pretty bad... but hey... it's still got that great piano sound goin' for it. :p) I was dealing with those vox a lot, too... trying to get them from sounding too "in-your-face". I think I may have overdone it just a tiny bit. But when the full chorus comes in, it's not nearly as loud. The song is so dynamic that it was hard to account for all the level changes.

I see you're glad to hear the 414 again... :p I missed it too. I swear, I haven't played it much at all lately. Gettin' married sure does take up all your time. :p I pretty much "wrote" the guitar part while I was tracking. You can kinda tell at some parts. :D I thought the maj7 "fit" with the mood, so I ran with it.

No, the drums are not Jamal's ;) I got 'em off my loop CD. And no,... the BGV's aren't me... he did all the vocal work. Originally the chorus was just going to be "sweep me away" over and over, and I told him there really needs to be something else filling that out, so I farted out that little melody/lyric that gets sung over "sweep me away" during the 2nd chorus. Oh yeah... and thanks for the Radiohead comment... he'll dig that. He likes those guys.

Lt.... Thanks for the listen. And yes, I should have cut that low end more. And by "more" I mean, I already cut it considerably. (low end roll-off and cut out some lower mids.) But this guys voice is so low and "thick" that I have to just hack that low end to death just to keep it from being too bassy. I'll prolly end up going back for a re-mix at some point to address that. Good to see you again too, man.

Middleman... don't even mention that thread.... :eek: ;) :) See the above comment re: the low end. And yeah... I noticed the high end problem too... but not until I got home. My bro's monitors much be a little exaggerated on the highs, 'cause it sounded totally different when I was mixing it at his house. When I got home I was like, "where's my freaking high end?!?!?" :p I gotta fix that too. Thanks for the listen.

G... thanks man. Let me know what you think after listening from home. I was kinda trying to keep as much of the "dark" feel as I could. When it was just piano and vox (and drums) it was super "dark", so I tried not to screw that up with the git parts. I even thought of having some "rain storm" sounds at the beginning, just to set the mood. :) And you're right aboot the length. We both kinda went back and forth on that. Originally we thought we should have stretched that 2nd chorus out longer, but then afterwards we thought it was an OK length. I dunno... most of my tunes are close to 5 min, :p so I guess this was pretty short by my normal standards. And I'll relay the radiohead (and other comments)... he'll appreciate that.

Thanks guys.

WATYF

eric... oops... I missed ya. Thanks for the listen. Glad you liked it. Let me know the verdict once you get home to your pristine environment... (man, I wish I had me one of those. :p)

WATYF

i'm actually working from home today, so all i gotta do is walk down to the basement (i'm so lazy), which is full of a bunch of noisy ductwork, washing machine, dryer, etc. and my monitors are surronded by cement! it does actually sound better down there but mostly it's just livelier and those are the only decent speakers in my home..........why did i just type all of that?

another nice thing about the basement is that i brought my drums home to replace the heads for a gig i got tomorrow and they ring out very loudly accentuating every d, a, or e that comes out of the speaker! i was trying to listen to the last song i did not realizing the whole time i had the 10" tom sitting right next to me singing along and i couldn't figure out why no amount of eq would correct that ring. LOL.

why did i just type all of that in your thread? maybe cause you're a drummer? i dunno. i could have just spent all of that time listening to your song instead.

I don't doubt it... typing unnecessarily long, rambling posts appears to be a characteristic trait of drummers around here... (with myself being the most quintessential example of such. :p)

WATYF

I use the 8B monitors too, so let's have a listen...

Warning, I'm in hard rock mode from mixing my new one (and going mental from the problems!), so I'll try to take that into account.

Hahaha...love that bit at the end of the file! :)

Nice piano....

I think the dry vocal works, but it could use a little low cut and a gain boost.

I'm also craving a touch more kick, but like I said I'm in rock mode. Still....

2:42 the lead vocal seems to jump like 2 or 3 dB's. Any reason for that?

Beautiful acoustic guitar. Outstanding sound actually.

This is a terrific song and a terrific recording too. Mix needs some work IMO, but the good news is the tracks are great.

Tom

I didn't like this at all for the first 30 seconds or so, but then it grew on me and I ended up liking it alot.

I wasn't too crazy about the piano sound, but the guitar sounded great. Melody created a nice dreamy mood, fit the title quite well.

Thought the vox were a little low in some spots and hard to make out, and I think the BG vox could also come up a bit (but I'm not sure on that one - the low volume does tend to add to the mood of this, but I wanted to hear them better).

Your boy did alright for a DJ. :)

Thanks guys... yeah... the more feedback I get on this, and the more I listen to it, the more I wanna go back and just start from scratch on the mix. The BGVs are hard to make out in the 2nd chorus, the main vox seems too loud at some parts and not loud enough at others, there's no seperation at all in the chorus.

*sigh*

:mad:

Oh well... that just means more time for me to play around with my brother's expensive plug-ins.

:D

WATYF

Hi man

Yup, really good. I enjoyed that. After the 2 min mark I was takin in most, great production mate. So thats what a piano should sound like. Thanks.

Erland

Very cool man.......
I like the piano sound....the guitar is awesome......
The vox is a little bass heavy...

great composition man...
all the rest has been said,
Cool tunage :D
Joe

Back