Hi, Clinic

chrisharris

King of Bling
My name is "Chris," and I'm an alcoholic...but that's not really relevant right now.

My daughter wants to enter a radio contest. The deal is, you download an mp3 of music and sing over it, then send it in to the radio station. SO ALL I RECORDED ON THIS WERE VOCALS...hers, and some of mine b/c it really REALLY needs that one part.

There were about 20-30 songs to choose from, most of them being Christina A. or Celine Dion. Anyway, she went with Evanescence's "Bring Me To Life."

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1698&alid=620

Any comments on the vocal or the performance would be appreciated.
BRING ME TO LIFE

Wow, you guys pull that off a lot better than I expecting for a dub over. I think the vocal performance is right on, I might say bring up the vocals over the track a little, seeing as you are showcasing her vocal ability afterall.

Hey Chris,

Sounds pretty good. You should try getting your daughter on to Star Search. She would certainly give some of the "winners circle" occupants a run for their money.

You might be interested in checking out Dave Fortman's website. He is the one who produced the Evenescence album. You can find it here: www.balanceonline.com. His e-mail address is on the site. You could try sending him the song file and he might even respond - you never know (dave@balanceproductions.com).

He lives about 20 miles down interstate 12 from me in Mandeville, Louisiana. He used to play in a band called Ugly Kid Joe.

Check out a couple of Dave's tunes on the website. "The More You See," and, "Once Upon A Time," are pretty good. The latter sounds like something Boston would do.

Best of luck to your daughter.

-Scott

WOW! Your daughter has incredible talent. She really does the song justice!! And you did a wonderful job mixing this! Kudos to the both of you.

This is superfantastic.

The guy background vocals sound a little lame in the chorus... but the original was worse, or maybe I just don't like Evanescense (Lacuna Coil is so much better :p ). The girl sounds great, as well the production. I'd really like to hear her singing for a good band.

I went back and listenend to your other stuff. She does indeed have a great voice.

Daenn said:
The guy background vocals sound a little lame in the chorus...
lol...I totally agree. I actually posted it on another site to see if I could get somebody else them, b/c I'm a middle aged lawyer...and this is NOT my forte', but I didn't get any takers, so I had to take a run at 'em. :D I have no idea why they left that out of the backing track....fuckers, lol. Hey man, thanks a ton for the feedback.

M Havlen - Nice of you to say. I will pass that on to her...I might edit it for language, but probably not, lol. THANKS!!

crimp - I much appreciate the listen. Hard for me to be objective on something like this.

blacksummerrain - Hey, thanks for the tip. I sent him a link. I remember the summer of "Ugly Kid Joe," lol. Super cool of you to say that about "Star Search." I have a rule...if she does all the legwork, I help. I hate stageparents...(hope I'm not one yet, lol).

RhythmS. - Thanks a ton. I sent it to an engineer today for a quick and dirty mastering job. Hopefully, he can fix whatever I fucked up, lol. THANKS.

Ryan - Cool...lol; I can't beat that comment. :D

THANKS AGAIN GUYS. Since I sent it out today, I can't fix anything else, but this post helped a ton...I appreciate it...So this thread is officially over now. :D NOTHING TO SEE HERE.

So this thread is officially over now. NOTHING TO SEE HERE.
Man, the post started and ended in one day? I just got to listen to the song. Anyway, I thought it was great. Too bad the thread is dead. :(

I checked this out this morning before I left for work but didn't have time to write out a critique this morning.

You daughter did a really good job of capturing/mimicking the original vocal performance and you did a good job doing the Sonny part to her Cher.:D

There was a bit of the original angst missing in the performance of both of you but it is still impressive as hell and certainly good enough for a teeny-booper contest, I would assume?

Now you must work on the video and be sure to have all the right visuals and rapid cut, flash edits scenes and make sure you spray an alley with a hose and have somebody running through it in anger!

Great job guys!

Cheers! :)

chrisharris said:
My name is "Chris," and I'm an alcoholic...but that's not really relevant right now.

My daughter wants to enter a radio contest. The deal is, you download an mp3 of music and sing over it, then send it in to the radio station. SO ALL I RECORDED ON THIS WERE VOCALS...hers, and some of mine b/c it really REALLY needs that one part.

There were about 20-30 songs to choose from, most of them being Christina A. or Celine Dion. Anyway, she went with Evanescence's "Bring Me To Life."

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1698&alid=620

Any comments on the vocal or the performance would be appreciated.
BRING ME TO LIFE

awesome. really. wow. being a parent is the most wonderful gift granted to us in this life. your daughter is blessed.

Chrisharris rapping lol, this definantly something I would never have expected. Your daughter did a really good job capturing the vocal. How old is she anyways?
"Lacuna Coil is so much better " I will have to agree with Daenn. Lacuna coil makes Evanesscene sound like a bunch of wannabes. Too bad you will never hear Lacuna Coil on mainstream radio.

I had to re read the original post twice to figure out what I was listening to. I thought first you posted the original tune and I couldn't figure out why you'd do that. HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!! Jezus, that kid can sing! The mook doing the rap is OK.:D I'm impressed to the point of advising her to seek a label.

Wireneck said:
How old is she anyways?
She's 13.

Thanks wireneck. Very nice of you to listen. See, now I have to check out "Lacuna Coil." I'm one of the lameasses who actually doesn't mind Evanescence too much, lol.

Flash- See, I'm still here, lol. Thanks for the listen and the comments. No sad faces, ok? :D

Ghost of FM - Hey ghost, thank you for listening. I know what you're talking about. No excuses, really... It's just not my bag, lol. She took 2 passes as it, and I comp'd it, then used the leftovers for doubling. But when I was mixing it at 2 a.m., I was wishing I could wake her up to take a couple of more passes at parts. I'm just hoping that most of the other contestants record one take vocals with a PC mic, lol. :D

colinear - nice comment. thanks.

TrackRat - Dude, I value your opinion SOOOOO much. That's nice to read, and I know you mean it...so thanks.

Back