heyyyy got a mix for you to yell at :)

But you don't have to mix in mono. Do you only have one monitor?

His left earbud stopped working and he can't get another set?

These days, mono is fine for demo recordings. If you just need to set down "this is what the band sounds like" for a press kit or something, you can do that in mono. But if you want something that people will be willing to buy, you should really use the full array of tools available, and that includes stereo mixes.

As to what's specifically wrong with this mix:
The band keeps losing the beat. If they can't play the song, there's no point to recording it.
The guitar is out of tune. If your instruments aren't in tune, it's always going to sound bad.
The guitar tone is bad. You somehow got it so sound simultaneously thin and weenie AND muddy. That's kind of impressive, but not a good thing.
The bass tone is worse. It's pretty much imperceptible the whole time. It just makes things muddier.
The vocals are buried.

There's no reason to mixdown in mono. Not even for a demo. If you're multitracking, why wouldn't you make a stereo mix? It's boderline retarded not to. Nah, fuck that. It is totally retarded not to.

But you don't have to mix in mono. Do you only have one monitor?

There's no reason to mixdown in mono. Not even for a demo. If you're multitracking, why wouldn't you make a stereo mix? It's boderline retarded not to. Nah, fuck that. It is totally retarded not to.

i am fortunate enough to have 2 lol but as i said im recording roland drums, with minimal equiptment, the only way i can get stereo drums is record everything seperatly, which given the quality of these musicians is just impossable.

Another tip, take Gerg with a pinch of salt

have done since the liquified shit comment

His left earbud stopped working and he can't get another set?

funny you should say that as i have an ear infection in my left ear. and i cant use it as an excuse as it is post that mix (english lessons needed?)

The guitar tone is bad. You somehow got it so sound simultaneously thin and weenie AND muddy. That's kind of impressive, but not a good thing.

its a drastic improvment compared to the original. *digg's hole deeper*

You somehow got it so sound simultaneously thin and weenie AND muddy. That's kind of impressive, but not a good thing.

:laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings::laughings::spank:

OK, it's a horrible performance and mix in general. But let's not start laughing at people in the Clinic. Matty did his best with what he had, and probably realizes it's not great. Let's not Cave it up. :)

I gave the lad rep points for being a good sport. Nothing would make me gladder than hearing his work kicking arse in a year from now.

It's like boot camp here: humility, and hearing your stuff as others hear it...especially when is liquified excrement, is the place to start making the exponential progress. No profit on building upon error, right?

And I know that if HappyMatty plugs on through the shellbacking, he'll be getting valuable lessons from anybody who first scorned his work. It takes courage to start at the beginning, with sound guidance.

Matty's task is tuff: he has to find suitable music by musical players to record, first...and that ain't easy [and I guess that he can't produce his own??]. Then the schoolin' can start. [although, I have to admit, that making a silk purse out of his subject's noise might be the best education imaginable:)]

Hang in there, Matty. A to Z, one step at a time. And listen to other's work...read the critiques, and fill your head with knowledge and ideas. And keep throwing stuff for us to listen to, cuz I learn from that: it's easy to critique others' work than your own...and the ears you develop eventually let you hear critically in your own work. Really.

Yeah my first mixes in here were awful. Thank God those links are dead. But like Jeff said, keep trying and keep posting. Listen to other people's stuff and read the comments. If ten people say the same thing, it's probably true. Look at what others say and try to hear it for yourself. See if you agree or disagree, and why. You'll learn a lot simply by being active in here.

I gave the lad rep points for being a good sport. Nothing would make me gladder than hearing his work kicking arse in a year from now.

It's like boot camp here: humility, and hearing your stuff as others hear it...especially when is liquified excrement, is the place to start making the exponential progress. No profit on building upon error, right?

And I know that if HappyMatty plugs on through the shellbacking, he'll be getting valuable lessons from anybody who first scorned his work. It takes courage to start at the beginning, with sound guidance.

Matty's task is tuff: he has to find suitable music by musical players to record, first...and that ain't easy [and I guess that he can't produce his own??]. Then the schoolin' can start. [although, I have to admit, that making a silk purse out of his subject's noise might be the best education imaginable:)]

Hang in there, Matty. A to Z, one step at a time. And listen to other's work...read the critiques, and fill your head with knowledge and ideas. And keep throwing stuff for us to listen to, cuz I learn from that: it's easy to critique others' work than your own...and the ears you develop eventually let you hear critically in your own work. Really.
Nice post.:cool:
Yeah my first mixes in here were awful. Thank God those links are dead. But like Jeff said, keep trying and keep posting. Listen to other people's stuff and read the comments. If ten people say the same thing, it's probably true. Look at what others say and try to hear it for yourself. See if you agree or disagree, and why. You'll learn a lot simply by being active in here.
Yeah, never mind my FIRST mixes...I can't even listen to anything I did a year ago without NEEDING to turn it off.

Not only the mixes, but some of these things I actually called songs. In your case Greg, at least you've always been honest in your song-writing and you've never tried to sound like something you're not. I've gone through some weird phases, where I guess I was trying to be "creative" or clever, and I listen to some of those now and wonder what the hell I was thinking. I was creating music I wouldn't even listen to. Now, I always ask myself "would you listen to this if it was a stranger", and luckily, I answer yes a little more often. :D

Nice post.:cool:

Yeah, never mind my FIRST mixes...I can't even listen to anything I did a year ago without NEEDING to turn it off.

Not only the mixes, but some of these things I actually called songs. In your case Greg, at least you've always been honest in your song-writing and you've never tried to sound like something you're not. I've gone through some weird phases, where I guess I was trying to be "creative" or clever, and I listen to some of those now and wonder what the hell I was thinking. I was creating music I wouldn't even listen to. Now, I always ask myself "would you listen to this if it was a stranger", and luckily, I answer yes a little more often. :D

Lol. Yeah for real. I know that feeling well. I'm generally pretty happy with the songs I write. I write stuff that I'd want to listen to and I do stay true to myself. Thanks for noticing. I've scrapped a bunch of stuff that just wasn't heading in the right direction. I'm lucky in the fact that I'm simply not very good, so it's easy to avoid wandering into musical territory that I don't belong in. :D

I got to hand it to this place. This is the first time I've ever seen a community-moderated forum go from liquefied excrement, to actually helping the poor guy out - in just a few posts.

Why didn't I find this place 5 years ago?

Dude... I generally try to be as generous as I can... but that sucks... and I'm not talking about your mixing, I'm talking about the band.

And the tone... and the way the drums were tuned... everything about what was captured is just horrible.

Honestly... I don't even understand how you got it sounding that good. That distortion... it's ungodly... it reminds me of a local band that wanted me to do some recording for them, I had to just say no eventually... I didn't want something that bad coming out of here and representing me.

Kudos for trying I guess... I truly feel bad for you as you said they are your friends, and I understand why you would want to help them. But it seems to be a lost cause.

Also have to agree with what everyone else said... I really do hope to see you posting some awesome stuff in here a year from now!!

Ugh... I don't even want to think about the first things I posted... it makes me cringe.

wow, alot of love!

i got a few things to mix (via yours truely, with an understanding of timing, dynamics and a taste in music) so as soon as my ear clears up ill get some on here, i think ive been persuaded to get those tracks done and never think about it again.

thanks people.

Back