heyyyy got a mix for you to yell at :)

happymatty

hello, as you may or may not have read im currently doing a few tracks for a friends band , i sent them a sample and its turned up on myspace! there's some sparkle missing from the drums which i will blame on myspace, and the drums are quite heavily compressed (damm roland everything on 1 track)

soooooo nice and harsh comments welcome.

my track is groove at the bottom
http://www.myspace.com/KINGGOATMUSIC

AAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHH!

Forget the recording! The composition and execution and original sounds were awfulllll. Gonna have to "Simon" this one. :eek:

:O is that why the levels are everywhere, i had no idea! lol

dont blame you for the "simon" thing even though i dont know what it is, i've taken a good guess.

Simon is the nasty dude from "Idol". "That was awwwwful"

The fellers need a whipsaw/producer's talent-type to organize things and restrain the 'flourish' in the playing....and some experience in making bad music...and then good music...then being able to tell the diff, at some point.

I reckon an artful engineer could assemble something nice out of what they played....but, man, that was bad in so many ways.

An early attempt on the learning curve....

I don't like to pan stuff w/o constructive suggestions.....but that would take a lot of bandwidth....:(

Wow! After reading Jeff's comments, I though to myself "It can't be THAT bad". But I was wrong. I mean, I'm all for encouraging people to imrove, etc.... But I don't even know where I would start with this.

I couldn't make it through the whole thing. If I were recording this, I'd start from scratch.

Almost everything is wrong.

I reckon an artful engineer could assemble something nice out of what they played....but, man, that was bad in so many ways.

An early attempt on the learning curve....

I don't like to pan stuff w/o constructive suggestions.....but that would take a lot of bandwidth....:(

?????

im a little lost lol, they wanted big and beefy and rrraaaaarrrrrrr, and they were happy with that track, and is this my attempt on the learning curve? or there's in your opinion?

could you elaborate on what is right please :)

There's nothing right about your mix. It's not entirely your fault if they gave you garbage to work with, but you have to accept a lot of blame because you weren't quite smart enough to turn them down. And if you did the tracking, well, you need to reconsider your methods. Seriously, do your ears work at all? Do you hear anything good about the mix? I don't. Nevermind that the music is unlistenable crap. The fucking mix is mono. Are we still in 1963? The source sounds are shit. Listen to those drums. What the fuck kind of shit is that? The snare sounds like a tupperware container. The guitar sounds awful. The band can't play in time. They suck. As an engineer/producer you have to notice these things and either fix them, or walk away. Use your ears.....unless of course they are defective.

I liked it :drunk:

Ah Gergles, go easy on the feller.

But yeah, first problem is the band. Your solution? Stop recording them, forever.

I'm gonna post a "mix" I did years ago actually, it's worse than this.

:laughings:

"Liquified shite" translates to "Love and Puppies" via Gergle Translator

Kinda like "Shit Eating Grin" huh? :laughings:

Yo MattyDude :D
yeah...the tune needs to go back to the tracking stage to fix it. :) Chalk it up to one of the first efforts, learn from it and move on. You'll get there.
:drunk:

i got a new idea, im gonna record a song allll by myself, spend 5 minutes making it sparkle a little, then post it here, show you what i can actually do yaaa? try and rectify the increabably important name of happymatty on this crutial to life forum ;)

o also i have to record in mono, although its got its disadvantages i figured if the end product is ok then its fine, (this obviously being a bad example)

o also i have to record in mono, although its got its disadvantages i figured if the end product is ok then its fine, (this obviously being a bad example)

Everything is basically recorded in mono. EVERYTHING.

Even when you record to a stereo track, it's just two mono tracks panned left and right.

Let's take drums as an example, running through my usual setup:

Kick In: Recorded in mono (1 mic to a mono channel), mixed center (mono)
Kick Out: Same (mono)
Subkick: Same (mono)
Snare Top: Same (mono)
Snare Bottom: Same (mono)
---------------------------
Hi-hats: Recorded in mono, panned to the right.
Rack Tom 1: Recorded mono, panned to the right
Rack Tom 2: Recorded mono, panned center
Floor Tom: Recorded mono, panned left
Overheads: Left is recorded mono, Right is recorded mono, panned left and right (giving the effect of stereo)
Room Mics: Left is recorded mono, Right is recorded mono, panned left and right

So, everything there was recorded mono. If I was to use just the kick and snare tracks with no panning (I always leave them center anyway), the drum sound would be mono.
When I add the other mics, and pan, it becomes a stereo image (mix).

There's basically no such thing as recording in stereo, because stereo is just two mono signals panned left and right. Your mixdown is probably a 2-channel mix with everything panned center (equal on both sides making it mono)

So, because you record in mono, you can mix in mono (as you know :p), stereo, 5.1 surround, 7.1 surround, 34.7 consume... (i made the last one up but you get the point :D )

Do you only have one monitor?

Another tip, take Gerg with a pinch of salt :D

Back