Hey Ya

Bulls Hit

I recorded this cover a couple of years ago, can't remember if I posted it back then. The mix was always manky and it bugged me so I dug it out yesterday and worked it over. Interested to hear any thoughts on it, partic how the vocals sit as I don't do a lot of those

That was awesome. Fun song with cool tones on the guitar. I like the tone on the left guitar especially. Vocal sits fine (maybe a half db low but it works and might not be worth tinkering with).

I always thought that song was a bunch of fun. Good cover. I don't remember you ever posting it.

I've heard better sounding guitars from you. Not a lot of detail in the guits you have here. They're kind of muffled.

The bass is a bit rumbly. Not a lot of definition. But the low end of the mix is well balanced.

I liked the vocal. Not super clear, but they worked well on the mix.

I admit I loved this song when it came out. It's so fun. I like it. I like the rawness of the whole thing. It sounds more "lo-fi" than your usual stuff and it's cool for this. The only thing I don't like is it pumps a bit.

It was a fun track - taking the mickey out of themselves and everyone else.
Just a little bass definition would be nice.
Good interpretation!

+1 on the pumping, especially in the chorus.

Cool take on the song. It lends well to garage rock.

What effect are you using on the vocal? It's kind of cool but does get a little tired by the end.

I feel like there's some clipping on the harder drum hits.

A little more polish, and I think this would be a really great mix.

Nola - Hey thanks. Glad you liked it.

TripleM Yeah I picked a single delay on the guitars which sounded OK on its own but probably just muddled things up. The whole recording was very flat and 1-dimensional for some reason, hence the go at the remix. Thanks for the ears Trip

Greg L The pumping is due to some over enthusiasm with my new compressor in an attempt to bring some life to the mix. I'm still learning how to abuse this gear without making it sound so obvious. Cheers Greg, good to have some feedback all the way from satan's butthole :D

Robus - That's a brave call! Thanks for the listen

rayc - Yeah maybe the bass is at the root of whats wrong with this. I should retrack. Thanks Ray

VHS - The vocal is compressed to bejesus it an attempt to bulk it up a bit. Yeah the parallel compression is responsible for the overs. I have to learn how to drive this gear. Thanks for the nice comments but I think it's a case of turd polishing here

I loved this song when it came out. It's just a cool song. I think this is a cool cover. I don't have anything to add...just wanted to say I liked it.

Back