Hey guys. I'd like your opinion of this song

Boy, this sounds so much like (Dweezil Zappa's band) Z & Mike Keneally's stuff. Pretty good! Mix could use some more 'dirtyness' or reverb though, not sure...

I was getting a "server bandwidth exceeded" message at nowhere. also...boy a 10 meg file for a 5 min song? Additionally, I went for the d/l, but that was going to take 20+ minutes or more it seemed..even on my cable. lemme come back later and see if things work a little better.

ok...here we go...

but the thing is buffering a bunch now.

the gtrs are waaaaay back there in the beginning. there seems to be something that is giving the effect of phase cancellation happening on the vocals...and maybe the entire mix too.

I like the music pretty much. It is much better than the recording quality.

The vocals seem kinda muffled too...or recorded in a extremely dead room with the mic picking that up.

it's hard to pick the problems of this mix, but it seems like things are just processed too much, and things seem to be on top of each other, rather than occupying there own separate spaces in the mix. Panning is not the answer, but I think more of an EQ issue here, as most of the instruments, including vocals all seem to be fighting for that middle ground. Another description would be the sound of something that is several generations down in an analog format....like it was bounced a lot on a casette multitracker, but without the hiss. I think it is because there is just a lack of REAL low end, REAL high end content. Everything in the 800-2500kHz range. I think actually trying to get the instruments to sound good on their own first would be a place to start, then begin by adding them together one at a time...unlike the method I actually prefer of just pushing up all the fadars at once....sans vocals.

mixmkr said:
ok...here we go...

but the thing is buffering a bunch now.

the gtrs are waaaaay back there in the beginning. there seems to be something that is giving the effect of phase cancellation happening on the vocals...and maybe the entire mix too.

I like the music pretty much. It is much better than the recording quality.

The vocals seem kinda muffled too...or recorded in a extremely dead room with the mic picking that up.

it's hard to pick the problems of this mix, but it seems like things are just processed too much, and things seem to be on top of each other, rather than occupying there own separate spaces in the mix. Panning is not the answer, but I think more of an EQ issue here, as most of the instruments, including vocals all seem to be fighting for that middle ground. Another description would be the sound of something that is several generations down in an analog format....like it was bounced a lot on a casette multitracker, but without the hiss. I think it is because there is just a lack of REAL low end, REAL high end content. Everything in the 800-2500kHz range. I think actually trying to get the instruments to sound good on their own first would be a place to start, then begin by adding them together one at a time...unlike the method I actually prefer of just pushing up all the fadars at once....sans vocals.
Excellent. Thanks very much for your honesty. I truly appreciate it. It's tough man. I really don't have a clue what I am doing! :) I think I should pick up a book, because there are a lot of things I need to learn. Thanks!!

I really like this.It has a cool hook right from the get go....the whole mix EXCEPT the drums and cymbals sounds really muffled.The vocals are muffled the most.....the doubling and layers of vocals might be the cause of that.....some rolling off of lows and lower mids on the vocals might help them...you might wanna try and spread the backing vocals out a little more to seperate them a little from the lead vocals.....EQ them slightly differently to put them in their own space........the whole mix is kinda muddy and Im thinking the vocals are the reason for that.The lead vocal is like a wall off sound thats blocking out the other elements of the mix and not allowing them to cut through and have their own space......rhythm guitars are muffled in the same way..........lead guitar tone sounds a little too dark too....kinda like it has a blanket thrown over the amp......the licks are killer but the tone needs just a little more high end to it to let it cut through.

I think the mix problems all boil down to the vocals and the overprocessed sounds on the guitars.

Thats just a few random thoughts as I listened to it a couple of times.Good tune with a catchy hook........what is the song about?A chick?Religion?

Kramer said:
Thats just a few random thoughts as I listened to it a couple of times.Good tune with a catchy hook........what is the song about?A chick?Religion?
Thanks Kramer. I tried something different when I recorded this tune. I put down a scratch guitar, and then all the vocals, mixed them together, then recorded the vocals again, and mixed them all together on one track. (I only have 8 :()...so good call on the layering! The song is about a chick. I bad relationship I was coming out of, while at the same time finding Jesus in my life...so kinda both. Thanks for listening! And thanks for your comments.

Well....

My left ear is fried from the flu....
I'm better now but the residual is like a "swimmer's ear" effect....
Doc says it will go away with time but, I can't gauge audio levels or seperation listening in "joro-mono"....

so........
after that rather lengthy preface....

Good hook...good writing....good performance....

I sense the mix is off...but with my "condition" it's hard to comment with any certainty.....sorry man....

Hey, what's up with this stream only stuff??
How come we can't download the MP3??

Take it easy man,
Joe

joro said:
Hey, what's up with this stream only stuff??
How come we can't download the MP3??
Take it easy man,
Joe
I don't know! You should be able to do it. It shows that I can. ????

i like the song im listening as i respond, im lo fi streaming so to comment on the mix would be wrong. i like the song alot and i like the theme of this song, i think weve all been there before my friend.i have done the mixing of 8 vocal tracks before lol and i had a worse problem with it than this by far from what i can hear on lo fi it doesnt sound nearly as bad as my stuff.your a better singer than myself as well and i dig the lead vox. sorry i cant coment on the mix to much. keep rocking youve gott a good tune there. and im realy glad to hear you found jesus because without him i wouldnt be anywhere at all, and best of all his love is free to all. keep rocking brother and if you have a chance check out my song the one i wrote for my christian metal band, the mix is crap because i had to reformat and then record it back onto my hardrive so it lost alot. http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1751&alid=-1 the one. god bless tim pate

Joro is right-the other 2 songs are downloadable, but Sinistry is not & the buffering is taking forever

Sydfan said:
I think I should pick up a book, because there are a lot of things I need to learn. Thanks!!

There's a lot you can learn here on this board.

I like the song, but the vocals are overpowering everything else. The tone on the rhythm guitars is muddy & the bass seems thin. Do like mixmkr said & mess around with the eq & levels a bit.

Sydfan, the mix lacks definition. Someone had already said about a second or third generation analog sound, I agree but am unable to give any advice. I don't really think a few digital bounces should reduce quality as much as what I'm hearing.

The overall tune, great job! Nice piece of work. Well written (nailed all the harmonies). Everything good.

Good

Joe

pretty good man!

it's not the style of music i would listen to, but the song is well written, catchy and definitely well played. i can't comment on the mix, because i don't know anything. haha! keep up the good work!

peace
joe

very co0l tune!! enjoyed it. I agree with everything that has been said, add more bottom, add more high's. mixmkr is right, everything seems to be sitting in the mid area. I'm struggling with this myself. Your a real good singer, man! lovin the voice, sound's pretty effortless. BASTARD!:D

Please post a remix, i would love to hear the difference with everyone's suggestion's. it would benefit me tremendously!!!:D

Thank's man!

Peace

Rick

Nice tight group. Well thought out.

I'll echo that the drums sound way brighter than the rest of the mix. I also thought I heard artifacts in the voc harmonies - or did you fkange them? Something anyhow. Might be my speakers' fault. Lead singer missed his high note around 1:20.

I'd probably do something different when it breaks down to the 2 git solos - add a rhythm instrument, dirty up the bass, busy up the bass, etc.

Still, nicely played and arranged. Good solo work. Mainly I'd brighten up the sound, and fatten it up around the leads. And retake that one high note - he (you?) hit the rest of 'em...:cool:

Back