Hey friends - would welcome your comments

crEEk

Hey gang. I'd love to get your opinion of my tunes. I just posted two at www.mp3.com/craigingram. HI-FI downloads are appreciated.

I like the spirit of everyone's remarks. Keep the great music coming. As always, I'll be listening.

"You": Seemed that the drums started up too hard right away. But I surely loved that transition right at 1:12 (and a couple of later spots)when the loud electric guitars stopped for a second to make the vocals ring in both channels and make the electric return worthwhile.
"Fly Me Away": There, you've gone and woken up Marilyn. Nice job.
On both of those I would have opted for an acoustic guitar lead instead of the electric.
Or both...

Have to agree with drstawl 'bout the start-up drums in "You".....the electric guitar was a bit loud in places that didn't call for it maybe....nice songs...Fly Me Away has a touch of country in it...might explore the possibilities of that in some other tune you write.....gibs

David type in Craig Ingram in the search box at the address you got...it'll take you to his stuff.......gibs

Duh! thanks gibs.Fly me away was my fav. but "You" was great also! can you share what you used to record these tunes? Your a hell of a guitar player dude keep it up!

David

Thanks for the replies and input. This is my first foray into the world of home recording. These tunes were written in full on an acoustic guitar. The arrangement you hear was fleshed out in the recording process. Believe it or not, the entire recording was done using a Roland VS-880, a PC with Sound Forge, and the equipment listed on my mp3.com page. All instruments were played by myself and a very talented friend that frequents this BBS at times (perhaps he'll show up soon and reveal himself). I can't take credit for the ripping solos, they are his. I wrote, arranged, and co-produced the tracks. Bookmark the page, b/c I plan to rotate in other tracks from the session as the weeks progress. I really appreciate your comments. Again, I'm not a professional. I've written songs for a while, but these are the first to be captured for the masses. Make sure you direct me to your stuff. I'd be glad to comment. For those who still haven't listened just go the www.mp3.com/craigingram and click 'hi fi' or 'lo-fi' play.

Thanks again....

"Fly Me Away" was a winner. I think you achieved the right sound and feel for that song. Nice guitarwork.
"You" was also good, but I think you held out the "eewww's" a little too long. I also feel that the vocal would have sounded better if it was clean, with a bit of plate-reverb. Other than that, it was a good song.

Both songs were kind of Gin Blossom-ish.
I liked them both.

I won't comment too much on what I think about the songs... I obviously like them since they were recorded at my home studio and I played on them, but thanks for the compliments on the guitar playing. :) The solo on 'Fly Me Away' I made up as I recorded it, after messing around with the track running for a few minutes, so I'm just thankful I got it recorded and it didn't turn out terrible. The 'You' solo is a bunch of noises and wah stuff, and it sure is fun to play. Both were done with my PRS through the same old trusty Deville amp.

[This message has been edited by Jon X (edited 05-03-2000).]

Jon-X is much too modest when it comes to his talent. If you've ever done much recording (and I'm sure you've done some or you wouldn't be here) one of the first things you'll notice is that there is a HUGE difference b/t ripping 16th notes in your bedroom all day long and trying to play with melody and finesse within the confines of a few second solo break in a pop/rock song. THAT takes talent (not to mention patience while you hack it out). Jon-X truly nailed it. A toast to you my friend!

Now, Buck62, its very interesting to me the gin blossoms comparison. I've never really listened to them. Hmmmm...:cool

Well, keep the comments coming. The enlightenment continues. Thanks again everyone.

[This message has been edited by crEEk (edited 05-03-2000).]

[This message has been edited by crEEk (edited 05-03-2000).]

just heard "you" i'll checkout flyme later
very good work and like other i don't like the drum intro,it sounds like i'm gonna hear
tatatata sixteenth notes of distortion guitar roaring in
i also don't like much of acoustic guitar rhythm strumming this way but maybe i'm too addicted to classical guitar when it comes to
stringed instruments!

crEEk,
I checked out "Fly Me Away", I really like the production after the first minute or so when the drums come in without the flange/phase effect. I'd like to hear what this would sound like if you changed the beginning drum sound to something like a soft rim-shot and bass drum beat without the flange/phase. If it starts out softer like that, the change in dynamics will be that much more dramatic when the first section is over and the full sound kicks in.

Check out my stuff at: http://xxxmusic.com

[This message has been edited by XXX Music (edited 05-03-2000).]

crEEK,

Hey, I checked out "You", and man I like "You", I mean the song. I'm sure I like you too, but let's not get carried away.

The only thing I noticed, and this is just an opinion and I could be wrong, but your vocals are very thin and distorted. I think you've got a good singing voice and it seems ashamed for it to be thinned out by the setup and distorted by overdriving it... or whatever. What's your setup for doing vocals?

I really like this song. Great job to you and Jon X!

Teddie, thanks for commenting. The vocal effect you're talking about is a mono effect that kind of makes a 'lo-fi' sound. We decided to use it for variety. It made the chorus sound bigger b/c we took the effect off to keep it interesting. I'm glad you like the tune!

To hear a 'full on' vocal check out 'Fly Me Away' on the same page.

:p

That effect on the vocal in "You" was an accident for the most part. I was intending to select a reverb patch from the effects card in the 880 to try and adjust it when listening back to the lead vocal track, and picked the wrong one. When crEEk and I heard it though, it just really made the overall tone of the song for both of us. I can see what people are saying about both that vocal effect and the drum intro part, and when the song stands alone I tend to agree. I still think that in context of the flow of the entire CD that crEEk recorded, it sets the song apart a little and gives it a character all it's own. crEEk is the man when it comes to putting lyrics, melody, and good ideas together to make a song different, yet almost familiar at the same time. Each one we recorded fits with the others, but has it's own unique thing going on. I think it's a good balance.

I agree that the drum intro should have come down some, and at least not really kicked in until the rest of the instruments hit. However, the transition from the previous song on the disc needed something to jump out, and those drums certainly do that. Probably too much though now that I listen again. It always impresses me how this forum is such a great resource for getting other excellent ears to critique a mix.

As for the recording of the vocal, Teddie, I'm almost embarassed to admit what a mediocre mic setup I have. I used a single Shure BG4.1 with a XLR to 1/4 adapter and plugged it right into the 880. Same setup for all vocals and acoustic guitars. My next recording equipment purchase will be a decent tube mic pre, and maybe a mid to high level Rode mic or two.

crEEK, I didn't realize you were going for that sound. You know, the more I've listened to it (about 14 times in the past few days) the more the vocals sound good to me. I can see what you were trying to achieve, although I still think it may have sounded better with clean vox. Man, I like that song.

Jon X, what do you think about the ART Tube MP? That's what I use and I like it a whole lotta.

That's the mic pre that I've been looking to buy. It'll either be that one or the dbx that's a little more expensive. I like the fact that the dbx has the digital output, but I've heard so many good things about the Art that I'm leaning that direction.

Jon, I was really having alot of trouble with my vocal tracks before I got that ART Tube MP. I love this little box.

Let me know which one you end up getting and which songs you end up using it on. I'd be interested to hear how it works out for you.

Back