Here's Something New For Your Consideration

boydrj

Hello All,

Wow, this site is great!!! I love listening to what others are doing and hearing the cool vibes out there.

I finally finished a new one (for 2002). This is actually the first recording I have made in seven years. The last two songs I put on here were from 1995.

Anyway, the song is called "Blessings In The Sun".

Have a listen when you can ...

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/9/1483/reviews.shtml

Take care, all ...

Pretty good little tune.Kind of hippy trippy.:)The cymbals seem to be a little to loud and harsh.Overall a good little tune.

Thanks Kramer, I'm glad you liked it. I have tried re-eq'ing it a bit to lower the cymbal sound a tad and re-posted it.

Any other feedback or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks all!

yeah this song comes from a good place.... I sort of agree with the 'hippy trippy' comment, but that's not a bad one....the cymbals get a bit loud every so often, and there are some minor vocal things in the chorus, but it's a decent tune.... Your first in 7 years? Let's keep em comin' dude! :D

hey i enjoyed the song tell me what did you record it on, how did you record it, etc...give us all the info! thanks a bundle.

Nice tune. I especially liked the "strings" at the end...

Made me think of Pretty Things around the time of S.F. Sorrow...

I'd like to hear more.

do you remember the song, "Pictures of Matchstick Men"....anyway..that's what I'm hearing a strong influence from...that style. I don't remember the group...maybe some of you really old farts out there can fill in here with the group. Almost KINDA the same chord change too...and lead gtr sound.

hippy trippy....I like that!

boydrj,

Invigorating tune. I dug on the overall feel. I kinda wanted the vox up some. The drums, the kit itself, seamed to lack a crispness. They were muffled. The cymbals were almost too sharp. Please note that I'm just a simpleton "loop boy" myself, but, thought I'd share my percusion impressions.
I really liked the instrumental break down/bridge around 2:25. Nice arrangment. This song might not call for it but, what about some more lead git during the break?
Must be cool to play and record with your stepson doing some git work for ya. That is "quality time" for sure.
Nice song. Thanks for the chance to listen.

Theron.

Wow, thanks for all of the great feedback.

Mixmkr -- Pictures of Matchstick Men was a one hit wonder by a band called The Status Quo (they must've not have been since they only had one hit) ... I think Ozzy Osbourne did a cover of it as well. Your right, the song does kind of have that hippy, 60's type sound going for it. Thanks for the feedback.

Blue Esq -- Glad you liked the strings. I kind of buried them in the mix, so I'm glad you were able to pick them out.

Abbott -- Thanks for your kind words. I'll give you a quick rundown of the recording: I use an ancient Tascam 488 8-track to record on. First off, I played a "Click" track and record that off of a Casio keyboard that I have on track 8. Then I went back and recorded three guitar parts on tracks 1-3, with one of them being played through a wah-wah. I then added a bass on track 4, and used tracks 5-6 to add a drum track. I played drums via the Roland TD5 (also ancient) so it is really me playing on the pads, no pre-programming.

I then bounced tracks 1-6 to a DAT, leaving off the click track from track 8. I then bounced that back onto new tape, tracks 7 and 8 to give me a stereo mix of the basic rhythm. From there, I added the guitar solo on tracks one and double tracked it on 2 (my son played ... very cool because he is a great musician) I then used tracks 3-6 to add the strings, and some other odd little things buried in the mix (kind of ambiance, if you will).

Another reduction mix to DAT of all 8 tracks, and then back onto fresh tape. So now I have the complete music mix on tracks 7-8.

Now time for the vocals. I double tracked the lead on 1 and 2, and added the harmonies to tracks 3-6. And a final mix down to DAT, and, walah (if that is a word), a song is born.

Theron -- Thanks for your feedback. I wish I had the mic's to record the real drum set, which is a sound I love. Unfortunately I just use an electric one, so sometimes the sound isn't always quite right. I'm glad you enjoyed the song. I had a great time working with my step-son. My wife also wishes the solo was a bit longer. I always kind of thought that was cool to leave em' wanting more.

Thanks all. Your feedback is valuable to me. I'll post another one as soon as it's ready.

Later!

Back