Here's An Older Tune...Still Need Opinions!

(im listening and typing comments as i listen)

i like the the bass and guitar intro....nice intimate rhythm feel is there. but i feel the vocals has too much reverb (for my tastes that is :))

nice harmonies at 1:30-ish and 2:00.

other than the vocals having too much reverb, i cant find anything else that's wrong. it sounds pretty cool!

cheers!
kb

I like it! The reverb doesn't bother me, I wish I could sing like you. Good work!

You did this 3 years ago? How did you record this song?

I gotta listen to your other tune. If you have more material post it.
:cool:

kartikbala-I agree. I think it has too much reverb. Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do with it, as the master has long since been deleted!! :( I wish I could lessen the verb! Thanks for listening.

therage--Thanks for the kind words. I do have a couple of other tunes posted here. One of them you can access from my NWR spot. Here is a link to the other.

I recorded this with a Korg D8. I recorded all the instruments first, bounced them down to 2 tracks and then filled the rest back up with vocals.

I've posted this earlier so I won't post it on the forum again. I'm anxious to know what you think. Thanks for listening!

I'm streaming, but this still sounds damn good to me. Anyone ever tell you that you sound like neil young? Well I am:D . Really, this sounds like something he would do, and I love Neils voice btw. I thought this sounded great man.

Ooo I like the drum entrance at :50! I was hoping for some of that.

Maybe you've made some changes since the other responses, but I don't hear the vocals as having too much verb for this. Are there 2 different snares? I'm hearing a weird panning inconsistancy or something. One sounds slightly to the left and one more centered. The one to the left sounds awkard. A panned snare usually throws off the whole balance for me, but I could be imagining it. I see dead people.
The harmony at 2:30 is well placed. Nice job. Are you using an SM58 for the vocals. Actually to be honest it kind of sounds like SM58's all the way around. IF so, nice job with them. But the vocals lack the clarity that a condensor might give you. Just a thought.

Nice stuff!

SLuiCe said:
Ooo I like the drum entrance at :50! I was hoping for some of that.

Maybe you've made some changes since the other responses, but I don't hear the vocals as having too much verb for this. Are there 2 different snares? I'm hearing a weird panning inconsistancy or something. One sounds slightly to the left and one more centered. The one to the left sounds awkard. A panned snare usually throws off the whole balance for me, but I could be imagining it. I see dead people.
The harmony at 2:30 is well placed. Nice job. Are you using an SM58 for the vocals. Actually to be honest it kind of sounds like SM58's all the way around. IF so, nice job with them. But the vocals lack the clarity that a condensor might give you. Just a thought.

Nice stuff!
Thanks Sluice! There are not two different snare drums, but I did pan it very slightly to the left...maybe about 11:00. I don't really know why I did that! For the vocals I am using a condensor choir mic. I think it was an audio technica. I borrowed it from the church I used to go to. I think the clarity it's lacking is because I had to stay so far away from that mic. If I got up close, it would just get terribly muddy, even with the pads brought way down. Thaknks very much for listening!

i like it all. sounds very good. the vocals are very clear. the bass drum, sounds great. how do you get that nice sound? I'm still struggling with my drum mic setup. a very nice mix indeed. I think the verb sounds ok.....but i kind of like a lot myself.....
Jason

Sydfan said:
I think the clarity it's lacking is because I had to stay so far away from that mic. If I got up close, it would just get terribly muddy, even with the pads brought way down. Thaknks very much for listening!

Also try backing of the verb a little. That should take away some of the wash-out. Or give the verb a higher pre-delay...40ms is usually my minimum for reverb pre-delay. This creates a little separation from the verb and the actual note being sung. It won't completely sure the proximity effect that's happening because of your distance from the mic, but it will at least help to preserve what's already there. But you may already know that. Just trying to help if I can. I don't know much about AT mics.

Nice job, good song, Neil Young flavor for sure. This song is real wide and marketable to a big audience IMO. I like the aaahs following the harmony too.

If I had to nit pick I'll say you didn't nail that very first harmony. I expected poor intonation as I listened but you nailed the rest?

I think I'm a little sensitive in that area to be honest. It drives me nuts when Neil Young doesn't tune his guitar.

Joe

Strmkr--Thanks! That's one of the things I was wondering about..Too much reverb. Thanks for listening.

Jasonird...Actually, I used SM58's all around on the kit for this one, including overhead. It's all I had.

Sluice--I certainly appreciate your comments. You've got some of the best stuff I've heard here. I'm not exactly sure how to use pre-delay. I'm not familiar with the term. Thanks!

Smokepole--I never noticed that I missed the first harmony, but I'll listen and see. The one I know I missed was at 2:53 on the word "hand." I cringe everytime I hear it. Thanks!

Sydfan, missed is not what I was really saying. Remember I'm nit picking here. Something about the intonation twists my ear a bit, where on the other ones, it rings they way a chord or interval should.

Don't focus too much on it, but if you’re doing any more work there you could scrutinize it a bit.

All in all good response from me. I like everything!

Joe

Wondering if your using a noise gate on the vox?just and inquiry.Very listenable.I'm real drunk right now and this is really treating me great.Nice sing.Melow yet not boring.Good work now it's off to your other post...

Back