Here's a new song I produced...check it out

stash98

Well, last song I posted here was cool because I got a singer here to jump on it, and it was a really nice job by him.

This one is my old singer that tragically died in a car wreck in 2005. He was previously signed to Atlantic and we worked together on writing songs for a record.

So I am making a record out of the vocal files I have...I can probably make about a 6 song EP.

It's the first song on my Myspace called "soldier song"

myspace.com/ultimatescout

Boy he was a good singer! Sorry to hear about the loss.
Production on this song sounds excellent. I am on my laptop right now but, believe it or not it has pretty kick ass speakers (harman/kardon).
I will check it out in the studio later over my monitors.

Very nice job! Too bad he passed away. Sounds like you guys had a good thing going. I pull out the one I sang for you once in a while. Our drummer really likes it:D Actually a lot of people do.

Well got to go. Getting ready for the 4th BBQ. If ya ever need some help on anything let me know. Even if ya just need some custom lyrics, I could give it a shot.

Have a great 4th of July!

F.S.

Yeah I agree that the mix is good.
I touched it up with some mastering. :)

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=8161

Let us know what you think of it now?

Eck

Sounds good Eck but, it thinned up the top end a bit much. Really accented the sizzely distortion of the vocals. I like other things you did like the bottom end but ya harshed out the vox a tad. I'd personally go a different direction with the top bands assuming your using a multi band.

F.S.

Last edited:
Cool..post a song and get it remastered. :) What did you do to it? I boosted the volume and ran it into Glip..raised that by 2db and then went into the L2 and took off a db. I think it's at around -9db...did you add some more highs?

Stash, if ya don't mind me asking. What treatment did these vox get. Sounds to me like theres an underlaying distortion mix in but I am curious as to what all was done.

Thanks

F.S.

you are correct sir.

I had 2 takes of his vocal. The double underneath just got heavier, verb and compression. I also automated when the dostortion send would come on and off (off until middle of verse 1 for example) I Eqd just a little around 1.5 k for a boost and compressed pretty hard with a medium release in the Waves SSL. I bussed in camelcrusher on almost every elemnt of the mix..this added some distortion. I also took a Waves L1, put it on a bus and squashed the shit out of it with a super fast release. I sent a little of the vocals to that. I used the waves Doubler and pitched one side -9 and the other side +9 and sent in some of that. I used Altiverb for the reverb on a buss. I compressed that rverb a little and shelved out some lows and highs and set that in. I also used 2 delays..one is a stereo delay set to under 15 ms on each side..the other was 8th note delay.

The other thing I did at the end of the lead vocal was use the Waves SSL buss compressor to take off about 8db or so. I used a .3 attack and a fast release i believe.

I automated a LOT in this mix...I think that makes a song breathe more especially on the vocals.

A lot of times, I automate the fast attack knob on the waves SSL strip. U can hear this when the song breaks down with just the guitar on the bridge..I had the fast attack on that guitar and then slammed it back off when the chorus hit.

another thing i did on this song, (has nothing to do with vocals, but you should try it) is I automated the inner kick mic. So on verse 1 it is not really in the mix until the chorus. It's a subtle trick I learned, but if you do a bunch of subtle tricks together they can help make a chorus explode.

Very Cool! Thanks for taking the time:D All I do on my vox is compress, eq, and use waves multi-tap or reverb (usually only one). :o I am going to have to experiment more.

I like the kick Idea!

F.S.

another thing i did on this song, (has nothing to do with vocals, but you should try it) is I automated the inner kick mic. So on verse 1 it is not really in the mix until the chorus. It's a subtle trick I learned, but if you do a bunch of subtle tricks together they can help make a chorus explode.
Yeah automate anything if it makes the mix better, thats what I say and do religiously. Sets bog standard mixes apart from the more pro sounding mixes.

I only used EQ and then L2 to re-master this song. I was going to use Gclip but it sounded a tad harsh in the high mids although it did sound more transparent than the L2.
I agree the highs are a tad harsh, I did this in a hurry not really concentrating on it as much as I would if I was getting paid for it. :)

Here is a new master which I spent more time on.
http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=8169

Eck

Thanks guys, I actually used BFD for the drums. I spent a shitload of time on learning how to program drums so they sound like a real drummer. It's the ludwig brass snare and the DW kick. Ludwig snres rule!

I like that new master Eck..you basically added some nice EQ there, and I did not EQ it when I mastered the song. I may mess with that in the future though. Sometimes I add 10k to a mix with the URS pultec though.

I like that new master Eck..you basically added some nice EQ there, and I did not EQ it when I mastered the song. I may mess with that in the future though. Sometimes I add 10k to a mix with the URS pultec though.
Glad you like my work.
It usually takes a bit more work than just adding 10k at the mastering stage. :)
You need to look at each frequency band individually and as a whole, as well as trying out compression (if needed) and other stuff if need be.

Cheers,
Eck

Tried out VC64 plug for distorting the vox on a song and it worked awsome.
It's nice because it has parallel compression & eq's all in a single plug. The only thing I with it had is output panning. Way better than th distortion plugs I'd been messing with.

F.S.

Back