Here is something I recorded.

Anarchist

need some opinions on mix, its my first mix with vocals, did with one instrumental before, everything done by me, so please give it a listen and lemme know what you think.

A passage from the past.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=433320

Recording Chain:

Vocals:
Rode NT1A ->presonus Firebox pre
Guitars:
Boss GT6 -> Firebox (digital)
Bass:
Digitech BP80 -> Firebox line in
Drums:
BFD

Software/Plugs:

Sonar 5
Waves comp/EQ
Wizoo verb
Ozone3 Mastering suite.

I dont really have time right now but i'll try and download this tomorrow and let you know what i think of the mix,..but,..I did wanna say that I really dig this tune. Awesome stuff. There are a few problems that are apparent in lo-fi as far as performance issues,..but the mix so far is sounding good. Like I said though I'll try and get it downloaded tomorrow.

Great,..great song. Good writing. If the performance was tight I'd buy a cd of stuff like this.

Take 'er easy,..
Calwood

Cool tune man. At times vox seem to poke out of the mix, but never sound bad. Maybe this was intentional. I never get mine to sit good anyway.....
I like the tune. Nice sounds.

The thing I mostly dont like about the mix is the cymbal panning and level. They need to be tamed especially in the verse parts as far as level. The level may be good in the chorus but the panning is distracting and makes 'em stick out like a sore thumb.

When I first heard the harmony vocals in the chorus,..the apparent side,..in the right,..i really didnt like the mix,..but it grew on me by the end of the tune,...wouldn't adjust that. I didnt notice the other side 'till the second pass through. If thats all you,..thats really good. I really like all the chorus vocals.

I'm not sure this would be a mix issue or not,..but the way it starts is awful,..I'm sure you know that though.
Every so often i'll catch something off time,..but it's very minor in my opinion.

One last thing that i think needs fixing is during the solo. The mix just seems to die there. Not really sure why. But something is not right there. Maybe it's the rhythm guitars,...they sound dull. They dont have the presence of the rest of the guits in the song. Yeah,..after listening a couple times,..it's definitely the tone of the rhythm.

I love most of the guitar tones. Nice. Everything seems to sit nicely. No EQ conflicts that I can hear. Mix sounds full without alot of stuff going on. Thats a good thing. Snare could use some low end,..maybe a little 100hz.

Overall,..I like the mix,..with the exception of the lead part. Absolutely love the feel of this tune. Like i said I'd buy a CD of this kind of music,..even with things I dont like about the mix. Really well thought out,...and keeps the same feel throughout. Very very nice man. Very cool. Tell ya what,..I'd appreciate it if ya shoot me a pm if ya crank another one out.

Take 'er easy,...

Calwood

Hey, nice job Anarchist. Nice guitar tones. The vocal is very expressive. It's slightly pitchy (and just slightly), but it's so expressive that I don't think that gets in the way. I like the bass line and tone, but it gets lost in parts. I'm partial to real drums, so fake ones just don't...

wait... hell, that's a great lead at 4:30.

The start sounds like an edit point - it kind of cuts in the middle of the guitar attack.

Tim

My 2p's worth,

at 5 mins, when the drums kinda hesitate, didn't quite work for me, it took me out of the spell...

usually people would play this kinda tune really aggressively, with the guitars really accentuated, imagine some monstertype vocals on it..... i like that it's a little more held back.

at the same time, if i'm really picky, the lead vocals were just a touch off key sometimes, now i'm not spot on in all my recordings by any means, but that's punk, here what with the malmsteen style solo and all, i'd expect exceptional vocals, you know? Even better!.....if you can....it's not bad as it is.

Lengthen the deacy/verb at the pauses around 0.30. They need to fill it a bit better.
The intro took way too long for me.
The guitar sounds from the intro don't really fit your vocal style but they are more subdued during the sung sections so it's no great prob.
Good song, just need some tightening in the playing.
Of course a good guitar sound would really help.
Cheers
rayC

Hey guys I really appreciate all the input you guys provided, and I will try to correct those problems you mentioned, just to let you guys know I am not a vocalist or guitarist, I am basically a bassist, just picked the guitars 7-8 months ago and its my first time doin vocals. But now I know what my weak points are so I will sure work on em. Thank to all of you again!

Back