Here some jazz tunes....

In general the performances sound good.
I am not satisfied by the tonality of the instruments though, there is generally a veiled, muted quality to the the instruments. There is a bit of midrange pang on the ride that is a little overbearing.

It might sound wonderful on bigger speakers, but on the computer speakers it is a little funky.
The stand up bass could come up just a bit for small speakers, but it might make it too much for large speakers. Maybe there is a harmonic of some of the fundamental tones you can boost on the bass for it to translate better over small speakers.

Stand up is a hard instrument to record. It tends to have a gentle quality that is hard to push through a mix without sounding clacky.

Don't get me wrong it is a really decent recording, I am just nit picking.

I actually thought the bass came across fairly well so that shows how different the same recording can be thru different speakers. There is a slight veil over everything ..... I thought the 'groove' sounded a bit stiff but otherwise very nice.

Good tune choices. Lucky Southern is one of my favorites. All I do is play and record jazz - so it's great to see someone else here too. Thought it might be hard to find gigs with a name like Dangle and the Dickweeds though...

I think it's a pretty nice recording. The double bass is fine (that's what I play btw). The ride cymbal sounds good to me. Nice and dark like a jazz ride should be. The high end may be slightly muted, and I would like to hear just a little more drums. A lot of jazz recordings seem to put the drums in back so to speak, with a more in-your-face sound to the piano and bass. I like it to sound a little more live-in-the-room, but that's total personal preference. I've heard that that the ride and bass should be of about equal volume and I agree with that. Again, nice job. :)

Next time, you gotta find a room with a nice piano. Find a steady gig in a place with a piano and record there. That's what I do. Lots of fun.

BTW - Would you mind listing your recording chain?

hi guys, thanks alot for the input, really appreciate it.

"The stand up bass could come up just a bit for small speakers, but it might make it too much for large speakers. Maybe there is a harmonic of some of the fundamental tones you can boost on the bass for it to translate better over small speakers."

more bass is always better, right?;) (i'm the bass player, btw)
i wonder if maybe some compression might help with this? i have like zero mixing/mastering skills so i didn't even attempt to compress anything 'cause i figured i was just as likely to make it worse as better. the thing that i've noticed on my upright is that if it's up as loud as i like it (in the mix) on my monitors (mackie hr824s) it tends to totally overdrive any other speakers that i play the mix on. so maybe some light compression either just on the bass or perhaps the whole mix? hmmm....

"Next time, you gotta find a room with a nice piano."

yeah, you got that right. i'd love to have a chance to record a "real" piano. though in general i'm pretty pleased with the akoustik, i'd love to have the chance to actually capture the sound in my own way. oh well, maybe someday.

"BTW - Would you mind listing your recording chain?"

not at all.
everythings going into cubase via an echo audiofire 12. most of the pre's are from seventh circle audio (which i friggen love), and break down thusly:

Bass: tlm 103 into SCA N72 (neve clone)
David Gage pickup, countryman, N72.

drums: OH's sm 81's, SCA C84's (millenia clones)
snare top; 57 into SCA A12 (API clone)
snare under; 57 into sytek w/ burr brown
kick; D112 into A12
tom; sen. 412 into sytek.

thanks again for the input.

the thing that i've noticed on my upright is that if it's up as loud as i like it (in the mix) on my monitors (mackie hr824s) it tends to totally overdrive any other speakers that i play the mix on. so maybe some light compression either just on the bass or perhaps the whole mix? hmmm....

What I am finding is that there are certain frequencies that jump out from my bass, regardless of the room I'm in or the mic I use. I guess a string instrument is going to have its resonant frequencies. I know it gets trashed a lot, but I purchased Har-Bal. Since I did, I've been able to see the spikey frequency anomolies that cause the bass to get too loud without having it be as present as I like. Now that I know where they are, I can do it by ear much better. I also use WAY less compression, if any as a result.

Back