In Her Eyes - Remix

ido1957

9K Gold Member
Well, my bass playing friend/collaborator (Mike) finally got some time from his busy schedule to put down a bass track for this tune over the weekend. I also remixed the drums a little. I would really appreciate any comments on to the overall mix especially with regards to the drums/bass. I'm just getting used to mixing with my monitors and it would be good to know how they translate....

The song is In Her Eyes and can be found here:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=395006

Hey ido

Glad you're getting to flush out your songs more. Wish I could do that.

Now I'm not the best mixer -- as you know -- but something is not right yet about this. I can hear a good kick. But I was going: "What Bass?". It doesn't seem to have any attack (on my crap pc speakers at work). So not clearly defined.

I'm sure it's just a matter of tweaking; cos the bass seems nice if you strain to hear it. Probably because of this though, the drums also don't appear to sit as well as they could.

Like my song "Everything's Been Said", I thought the Bass was strong during mixing, but it's not in the finished product. (I've gotta go back and find it.) Must be a getting used to the monitors thing as you say.

Good luck
aspiring

Its good, its nice and tight. I like the voice, its Clapton lite!

I am not crazy about the drums, they seem sterile to me. Other than that its a first rate job, they just seem a lil dry or too subtle for this tune. Excellent stuff, very enjoyable and great vocals.

I agree with both previous posters. The drums, try and put something on them. Compress the suckers, and add some good dynamics. Try some eq, and verb, or delay. Spice them up a bit. (just a nit, but try something to add to the fullenss of this. ) And the bass...I don't really hear it. With a clean guitar, let it carry all of the bottom end of this tune. It can have plenty of space. I hear it, but put it right in the middle of the song. Let it be a second guitar. Surround your vocals with the rest of the sounds.

All these are nits, as the song is good.....just fill it out now. I think you have the basics down, now you just need to add some life to the whole thing.... :D
Ed

Revised mix now up

Ok, I have remixed this song, using the recommendations received (thanks Aspiring/DavidK/Dogman):
- added verb to drums and brought up the eq a bit in the lower mids to bring out the snare a bit more
- brought up the bass in the mix and eq'd it to take out some resulting boominess
- changed the verb on the vocals to a different patch (just preferred the new patch)

Looking forward to getting your feedback on this revised mix ......

Here's the Link - select In Her Eyes from the list
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=395006

Yes thanks for the heads up, DavidK - I replaced the song completely - the only version of "In Her Eyes" is the latest one.....

Well your tinkering really worked wonders.

With drums like this, the best thing for them to do is basically stay un-noticed, and you accomplished that very well this time. Unless its Neil Peart I dont really pay much attention to the drums unless they arent gelling in the mix. I checked em out for two seconds and then I could kick back and enjoy the tunage. ;)

The song itself I like even more than before, its really quite good. I think the best description is "pleasant", I find it very soothing and comforting, something not easy to pull off.

I am noticing something on this I didnt hear before: on the vox, it seems like there is phasing? I am guessing you didnt intend to do that. I am listening on a nice pair of AKG phones, maybe I am imagining it. This is my second listen to the new mix, I can definitely hear it and I dont remember this from the first version.

Excellent work, I really enjoy this one.

Ido,
Typing as I listen, (headphones). A really, really nice tweak of the original mix with the added rhythm parts.
I like the bass - it's right for the song - not an attempt to fit a square 80's toppy bass in to a round 70's full bottom hole.
All that's missing, given it's feel & genre, is a bit of Slowhand guitar solo -
or a quick 8 from a piano accordian/sample.
I don't know if i mentioned this before but there's a bit of Gallagher & Lyle about this too - & I have to apologise but for all my prefernece for the Birthday Party, Elvis Costello & the Damned I still play Rock Writer, Heart on My Sleeve & 15 Summers at least once a month.
GREAT rework Ido, you've shown the right mix and tweaks can really breathe extra life into a song.
Cheers
rayC

Yeah ido, that's great!

And a good lesson (for me) as to the effect of a few basic tweaks in the core (rhythm section) of a song. Unbelievable transformation...

But they're right! Now it's calling out for some subtle lead filling with something.

Cheers for the great mixing workshop
aspiring

Yep....you improved the quality man. Brought a bit more life to it, and made it a bit snappier. Now the bass seems to be playing along with the song, instead of hiding under it. It seems to carry a bit more weight of the bottom end, filling it up. Good job man.
Ed

Great advice on this forum!

Thanks all for listening and the advice - it's definitely helping my mixing skills.
Will follow up on these last few things, maybe this weekend.....
DavidK - I'll check the phasing on the vocals. That might be that new reverb patch I selected. I'll see if that's where it originates. I like the patch though and I'd like to keep it but we'll see.....
Rayc - I was going to put some lead guitar in this. But I ran out of tracks on my ADAT (lol). I might squeeze some in around the vocal harmonies...
Aspiring - you're right - great advice here on mixing - and yes, maybe some lead filling this weekend....
Dogman - sounds like the bass/drums changes were just what was needed...
Thanks Again!

Hey Ido,

I have said it before and I will say it again, I love your songwriting, arranging, playing etc. I listen to this tune quite regulary and in this mix I think the drums could come forward a touch in the mix as well as the bass.

I would love to hear some lead guitar on this track. :) A very melodic complimentary solo is all this tune needs and after hearing your other tracks I know you will deliver the goods!

Keep at it!

I'm listening to Overtime again!

Kev :)

thanks!

Thanks Gorty - appreciate the kind words....and I think I'll try and work something as far as a lead goes somewhere in this. I would dearly love another few empty tracks to work with because I like the ability to mix the double parts L/R.
BTW - just reading about your possible collab with JonathanRay. THAT would be awesome...looking forward to that for sure!

Back