Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Helping out a friend/trying to do something Erlandesque

Thanks

Smile Helping out a friend/trying to do something Erlandesque

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi there,

My friend Jerry de Vos wrote a beautiful song about 'looking for harmony in love'. He usually performs it with just a guitar and a vocal, but he asked me to make it a little bit more adventurous and eh......'spacious'. I always thought of it as a very good song, so I said 'yes, please lemme do it' immediately.

So here it is, it's a departure from my usual stuff as I didn't use a clicktrack and I didn't use drums. Plus: it contains very sparse orchestration. On the other hand, I couldn't help myself and added some harmony vocals...

My kingdom for a singer who will stand still in front of a mic! Everytime I ask a singer to help me out I'm having serious trouble recording them because they move, dance, drink and smoke during recording. And what's up with that thing called 'mic-eating'? Latent homosexuality? Dunno....but it drives me maaaaaad....all that proximity, then all of a sudden they start to move and the proximity is gone. Argh!

Anyway, here it is....Harmonie

(written and sung by Jerry de Vos, all instruments and some vocals by me

Btw, that's recording with an open window again...

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/...=2618&alid=462 (should be up in 10 minutes)

I'm really looking for some help on the mix. I'm not sure whether the spacy guitars are too loud. And I'm having trouble with mixing the acoustic bass.
    Last edited by Pedullist; 11-03-2003 at 11:52.
    http://www.nowhereradio.com/trojka
    http://www.nowhereradio.com/trafo

Thanks
    Pretty song
    The guitar is straight up the middle with the bass and might be clashing with bass overtones because the guitar seems a bit lost, in my opinion. I heard all the character of the bass when it was played alone but then it started mixing with the low-end on the guitar. (BUT I have no freekin idea how to mic/mix an upright - man, that sound is fat.)

I'd move the guitar out toward one side a little and the bass on the other side a little and let the vocal split them. (And then I'd post it up here and ask everyone else!! ha ha!!)

The singer's voice is really nice. Your backups were nice, too (Ich will auch harmonie!) The ambient orchestration is gorgeous. I paid no attention to what was being played - it just added a lot of mystery/emotion to the song.
    Cool tune!!
    ~Milan
    MC Gitarz

Thanks
    Not much into mix critiques tonight, but I dug the music. Soothing. And nothing really bugged me much mix-wise anyway. Just add wine.

Thanks
    *url deleted*

There, that oughtta' do it, lol.

Thanks
    Hey Ped - howsabout letting us download it? Nowhere's streaming slower than the village idiot tonight.

Thanks
    i don't know what everyone is bitching about, i just streamed with not much trouble.

anyway, i really like everything you post ped. i didn't realize you played an acoustic bass. that's one of my favorite instruments. sounds good to me, birds and all.

Thanks
    Originally posted by groucho
    Hey Ped - howsabout letting us download it? Nowhere's streaming slower than the village idiot tonight.
    You can download it, just login to Nowhereradio. Hey, it's free.

Thanks guys.
    http://www.nowhereradio.com/trojka
    http://www.nowhereradio.com/trafo

Thanks
    Here is a trick for getting vocalists to sing properly. Give them two mics, an SM58 they can swallow and a decent large condenser. Leave the 58 disconnected and let them use it like a prop. Do the real recording with the condenser about a foot in front and a foot above their mouth.

Thanks

THis is nice

You don't even need to speak the language to enjoy this piece. You might try bringing the vocals up just a tiny little bit, or not. There were just a couple of places where they were dropping a bit under the instruments.

Nice playing and the orchestration is great.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Pedullist
    You can download it, just login to Nowhereradio. Hey, it's free.

Thanks guys.
    I couldn't d/l it either...I thought it was my new browser, but yours was the only one that I couldn't d/l yesterday.

Thread Information