Help! What does this mix need??

timthetortoise

MADE OF SANDALWOOD
http://download.yousendit.com/E0557D87535F76EB
Soundclick... weird quality - Damnit, the song cuts short. Anyway, you get an idea for the mix. It cuts out before the best parts though!!!! Just download from the YSI link :)

I've got a 320kbps bitrate file here for your review. I think it's a relatively solid mix but it feels like there are some things that it's missing. I know that the toms need work, and I was wondering if I could get some tips on how to get them to sound more airy, but at the same time HUGE. Like they're right in front of you. Anyway, I would appreciate any help you can offer on this mix, as all I have to reference with is two car systems, a set of headphones, and terrible PC speakers.

Last edited:
hey man..

first off this song is really cool.. very mogwai.. if you don't know mogwai you need to but with a song like this you likely already listen to them. one of my favs

ok back on track
this is definately getting there... my biggest concern with the overal sound is the guitar sound.. well the distortion sound in particular.. you're likely wanting a huge guitar sound but the guitars sound a little bit muddy..... truthfully i'm not 100% sure what you need to do.. i'm fighting with the exact same problem on one of my mixes right now.. (unfortunately it's on a very poorly played hardcore song and not something that's as great to listen to as this song)

Personally i think the snare needs to be a bit punchier..

you're definately on the right track.

i dunno.. i might take it back a bit.. . the guitar sound is starting to really grow on me...

Thanks for listening, there's definitely a Mogwai influence in how we're trying to record guitars (trying to get that wall of guitars sound that Mogwai gets live). Will definitely be working on the snare. Again, thanks for listening and for the compliments, they make me feel all warm inside.

very fukin nice tim great job

i like it very much sounds like a very nice mix

I personally would touch up the sub bass just a notch @ about 40hz or so

Back