Help wanted: midi drum patterns

DavidK

Can YOU write midi drum patterns?? Well? Huh?? No you say? Then what the heck are you doing in my midi drum pattern thread?? :confused: :D

I need some, err, midi drum patterns. :rolleyes: the tune is in 6/8 time, and the tempo is 180. My idea was to get several one-measure patterns, copy and paste em and stick em together to make a song. I dont think a human can play this piece, at least not now. If I had a sketch it might be possible, but it's one of my geek classical things that is pretty insane. I definitely want a rock tune. I suck at drum patterns, hold me. :(

I need about 10 different measures, at least. Some should have small fills, some elaborate fills, some basic measures, some with the snare on 2, etc. Since they are midi, it doesnt matter what tempo as long as it is 6/8. If you have heard my old stuff, this tune is like the Sinding Suite except faster. Its a "busy" violin part, a perpetual motion.

Dont be shy, you GOTTA be better than me :D You can pm me or leave a link here or whatever. Thanks. :cool:

I can definitely provide some assistance.

Sent 10 random measures to your email.

Last edited:
bigbubba said:
I can definitely provide some assistance.

Groovy Daddio, I look forward to it. I will try to get a sketch mp3 together. Its Only 3 minutes but its a gruelling violin thingy.

DavidK said:
Here is a 30 second sketch of how this thang goes. Its real fast and will be played on violin. clip
David, do you want an MP3 of the drums, or the Midi itself? I got both, so let me know. ;)

Dogman said:
David, do you want an MP3 of the drums, or the Midi itself? I got both, so let me know. ;)

Just the midi for now. My plan is to "assemble" a midi drum track then go from there. Its gonna be a big edit job. If you have an mp3, sure I would love to hear it. :)

DavidK said:
Just the midi for now. My plan is to "assemble" a midi drum track then go from there. Its gonna be a big edit job. If you have an mp3, sure I would love to hear it. :)
How you gonna get the hits to equate to each drum? :confused:

(I don't know much about midi stuff...)

Dogman said:
How you gonna get the hits to equate to each drum? :confused:

(I don't know much about midi stuff...)

It should be automatic, just set the track to midi channel 10.

Here's a folder that has 6 midi files, with the corresponding wav's....hope you can use something.

Drums

About 15 meg, in a .zip folder.

Dogman said:
Here's a folder that has 6 midi files, with the corresponding wav's....hope you can use something.

Drums

About 15 meg, in a .zip folder.

Wow, what a killer sound :cool: I dont think I can use em though :( My bad, I will have to do some primitive example, this is gonna be harder than it looks. Tomorrow I will lay down some stupid part. I hear it in my head, but being a geek I am pretty clueless with drum patterns. :mad:

Here is a quick sample of what I am looking for:

drums

That is the feel I want, I just dont know how to translate that into a cohesive drum part. I am so ashamed, humiliated in front of my brethren. :D I want the energy of what I have, just not so dorky and so dumb.

David, would you like some wavs to loop? I could throw some clips together, and you could then just loop them if you want.

Just let me know. With EZ-Drummer, it doesn't take too long, then you could choose a few that might fit your tune.

Dogman said:
David, would you like some wavs to loop? I could throw some clips together, and you could then just loop them if you want.

Just let me know. With EZ-Drummer, it doesn't take too long, then you could choose a few that might fit your tune.

I am not sure if that would work :confused: Specifically, I am not sure if I know how to deal with it. :o The piece is complicated and there are some strange parts. I will have to piece it together measire by measure.

Are there any sites that have midi drum patterns?? Maybe I will ask in the drum forum, I have never been in there. :eek:

P.S. The key to this thang is the 6/8 time. Not many rock pieces are in 6/8.

In FL, do you have the soundfont player?

There's pretty decent drum soundfonts out there. And it's easy to get going. Cut and paste where you like, new pattern where you wish. :)

Tonio said:
Thanks!

In FL, do you have the soundfont player?

There's pretty decent drum soundfonts out there. And it's easy to get going. Cut and paste where you like, new pattern where you wish.

I have it but havent figured it out yet. :o

I think I have a game plan for this now. I am basically going to have to write something out. It's way more complicated than I first thought. :(

DavidK said:
Thanks!

I have it but havent figured it out yet. :o

I think I have a game plan for this now. I am basically going to have to write something out. It's way more complicated than I first thought. :(
Don't let it scare you. Dude like you with 70 different synths parts and 16 violins playing simultaneously can straighten it out.

So the soundfont player works like this: Just like the fonts on your computer a different shape represents a different letter. Each representation of a character can be different like office appropriate (times new roman) or party type (monotype corsiva). So the soundfonts can have each note represented by a different sound. There's people out there that record live sounds from their pianos or drums or what have you and generate a .sf2 file which you can download and use in your soundfont player.

Getting a soundfont player is a harder part since most nice ones seem to not be for free.

In FL, you add a new channel of type Fruity Soundfont Player. In the Channel Settings window click the folder icon on the Plugin tab and select your .sf2 file. This will load the font. Now in the piano roll view, just place notes where you'd like to play stuff. In a drum soundfont, some will be a kick and some other instruments.

It's not the best but it sure is the easiest. Just cut and paste and change as you wish.

I'm sure one of those other drum generating programs could do a better job but I've been sticking with FL.

* Sorry to explain the soundfont stuff if you already knew it. Didn't mean to sound annoying.

Back