Help Please!

this whole dust-up seems more than a little silly because i critiqued...

2 very small files

not many notes. i didnt consider it to be davidk or davidk's music i was critiquing.

just a few synth-sounding NOTES for god's sake

they just didnt sound good or useful to me

and david you take it personally

its just a few NOTES

Dude, just shut up. It's not your "critique". It's your delivery. You seem to think that we all "whine" when you give your opinion. Maybe people disagree because your opinion doesn't jive with what others think 99% of the time, yet you really think your opinion is way more important. I know this is just the internet, but who the fuck are you? You come off as a smug dickbiter. Let's hear your stuff. It better be damn good.

now that ive had a few minutes to think about the whole thing it all becomes clear.

the purpose of this thread was to prove that you sound better than the pro-tools guy

dont forget when you tally everything up that i sort of voted for the pro-tools guy

:)

the purpose of this thread was to prove that you sound better than the pro-tools guy

:)

Dude, read the fucking thread. One version IS NOT EVEN MIXED. How do you think I am proving " I sound better than the pro tools guy"??:confused: It is nothing, zero, zilch, it wasnt anything.

I am not an engineer. Ummm, thats why I hang out at this joint and why I am asking for advice.:rolleyes:

Here is my two cents (not that you asked, but what the heck) -

The tracks are what they are. A pro studio can do some polishing, but they aren't going to make it sound radically better. A true 'pro" recording is made from start to finish in a pro studio. Also, these are synth tracks - which are already pretty much "done" for the most part.

I thought that A was substantially better as far as the clarity and depth, but I think a lot of people honed in on the lack of low end. That was a mistake on the engineer/mixers part. I also think it goes to show that there are a lot of people listening in less than ideal environments. I doubt the difference would be noticeable on laptop speakers for instance - the lack of low end would be though.

The good news is, I bet with a little work, you could make B much better than A - without paying a heap of money! :D

Thanks NL5.:cool:

I thought that A was substantially better as far as the clarity and depth, but I think a lot of people honed in on the lack of low end. That was a mistake on the engineer/mixers part. I also think it goes to show that there are a lot of people listening in less than ideal environments. I doubt the difference would be noticeable on laptop speakers for instance - the lack of low end would be though.

This is EXACTLY why I posted this. The engineer originally had this we MUCH less low end.:rolleyes::confused::rolleyes::confused: A few people in this forum have heard other mixes as well, the guy just steadfast refuses to use low or mid frequencies. You should hear strings, it sounds like am radio.:rolleyes:

NL5 - great posts, making me really think about these two clips.

If you have some time, can you expand on:

- what you would do to mix "B" to get the clarity and depth of "A".

- can you explain the clarity and depth on "A". I'm one of those people who picked "B" because of the bass. The clarity on "A" just seems to be caused by less bass frequencies taking up my attention.

I'd really appreciate the insight.....

Thanks
the newb

:):D:):D

So I picked "a" as better. Am I right? And if I am, what do I win? :D

Yes, it seems to be pretty much a tie between A and B (for a variety of different reasons) so we're all winners.... DavidK will be shipping your prize shortly...It's a surprise !!! :D:D:D:D :):):):)

NL5 - great posts, making me really think about these two clips.

If you have some time, can you expand on:

- what you would do to mix "B" to get the clarity and depth of "A".

- can you explain the clarity and depth on "A". I'm one of those people who picked "B" because of the bass. The clarity on "A" just seems to be caused by less bass frequencies taking up my attention.

I'd really appreciate the insight.....

Thanks
the newb

:):D:):D

Wow, I am really no expert, and not sure how to answer these questions.

A is much clearer, and has a 3 dimensional quality to it, whereas B is completely 2 dimensional. Listen to them again. If you don't hear a difference in the depth between the two, I would really think about changing your monitoring environment. The difference is not a radically difference, but it is pretty substantial IMHO.

To get there with B, I would say a slight bit of EQ and either some reverb, or it sounds more like a stereo delay (possibly a combination of both). I'm guessing it's a Lexicon reverb/delay combo - Maybe DavidK can chime in here on that.

Hope that helps.

I would like to hear a little more low end but now forget your audience. It's a proven fact that old people hate bass :D

Maybe you can reclaim some low end in mastering but it would be nice to have a bit more in the mix.

if you cant be brutally honest in this forum then we might as well call it the ass-kissing forum.

you stroke me and i'll stroke you and we can both have a happy ending.

the premise here is completely unfair to the professional producer who was probaly unaware that he was being set up for defeat.

of course if you take two doo-dads and add bass and treble to one of them people will pick that one.

enhancer with bass boost lol :rolleyes:

what does it prove? absolutely nothing which is why i was annoyed even before i knew what was going on.

i gave you my honest response.

was it brutal? yes

will i try to be more of a politician in the future? mmmmmmaybe....

i can try...

i dont like to be called a whole bunch names and get neg rep with fuck you goddamed motherfucking asshole son of a whore piece of shit and all that

i also dont like wank-me threads like this

and david if you had been upfront about what you were doing and why we could have had a fruitful discussion of why the professional producers file sounded warm and fuzzy and your file sounded more plastic and gurgly.

does a professional producer gut the bass? in my experience yes he does. is that a bad thing? no.

i feel like saying screw you too davey but that would be juvenile and unproductive hmmm?

Wrong answer. The question was "Which one is better. Personal preference aside, which is closer to the mix you would aim for?"

a the second one is less annoying than b the first one
Opinions are welcome, but are worth nothing if you don't explain. Using words like "annoying" are ok if you expand like "too much bass" or too much distortion". If you don't expand, it comes across like an insult. This is a clinic where people offer advice as to how to make mixes better. I have heard very few insults here, but a lot of great advice.
b the first one sounds like its got an enhancer on it
There's a good comment - but a bit more explanation for us inexperienced mixers would help. What does an enhancer do? What impact does it appear to have on the mix? I don't have an enhancer and have no idea what it does. Explanation is helpful to readers as well as submitters.
it sounds like 2 snippets of muzak to me.
i was hoping youd say if i was right about the enhancer.
100,000 clams sounds impressive. your files do not.
The muzak comment was uncalled for - it was untrue and immature. This clinic is a mix forum and regardless of composition it should be focused in that direction... I can't even recall the last time someone made that kind of comment to someone else in this forum....
"your files do not" - another comment with nothing to back it up. It's useless to jump in and make derogatory comments without some kind of explanation. It just comes across like an insult...

You're obviously getting a lot of negative feedback for the comments you've made. You can step up to the plate and back up your comments with mixing recommendations and observations.

That's all I can say about this unfortunate "mix" up.
bada boom, I'll be here all week, try the veal..... :D

Ah yes the comments on the red chicklets remind me of 3rd grade when i heard someone call somebody else a shit-ass

i thought it must be the most powerful thing somebody could say to somebody else.

ROTFLMAO!!!

thanks guys for bringing me such a funny memory. :)

p.s. if you sign your names i will return yummy green chicklets as is my habit.

the premise here is completely unfair to the professional producer

This "professional" engineer ( I am the producer) just quit. Quit a major label union project. He will never work again for a union project, he is now on the unfair list and will not be allowed.

I didn't read through so I could be out of synch or place BUT A sounds crisper & as if playing in a neutral room without hitting the sustain pedal whereas B sounds like you've kept your foot on the sustain pedal more.
as they are I like the fuller sound of B but if it were to have more instruments added it'd get muddy.
Not much help sorry.

Back