help with mix

I think the snare sound(and the other sounds that hit along with it) are a little dated. I suppose that the genre calls for it though. It sounds "OK" to me, but it lacks punch, and I think you need more of these things:

1. Need BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSS on a rap track... I'd trigger a 2-3dB gain on the bass track keyed from the bass drum...and also raise the level of the bass (I was listening on my headphones though, but they go down to 20hz, so I don't think it's the chain).

2. I'd throw a lot of reverb on a send of the piano track, and crank it up....if it sticks out too much, pull some highs to bring it back in the mix...

3. I'd compress the vocals HARD (rap doesn't need dynamic vocals). That way you won't get spots that get buried (as they are now).

All in all I liked the track. It's not my cup of tea personally, but it doesn't make my ears bleed either :D

Only thing that stuck out to me was the background string synth, the one that is quarter notes alternating between high and low in a 4 measure loop. When it switches to the higher notes (3rd measure) the tone seems to conflict with some of the other instruments in the mix; at some parts the piano synth, and in most parts the other (lower) string synth (playing a sustained whole note for 2 measures). I dont know if that was intended or not, but it didnt sound right, IMO. Maybe try finding a different note for it.
I dont know if you were looking for comments on the music side or not, but i might also note that the loop i referenced above looped the whole song without change. Maybe change it up a little bit for the verse or chorus?
The vocals sounded clear to me though, good job on that.

The beat & bass are fine though the bass needs to be either more sub or more defined.
But the synths don't work.
& the lyrics are on the Mengeler side of mysognist dreams.
To be blunt you seem to have reduced your lyrical vocabulary to the same gangster/player/pimp cliches.
you could do better.
the snare ending should be louder & with some extra reverb.

Back