Help with this mix...

The guitars has beautiful tone. But they are fighting with the vocals. Try hard panning them left and right and put the vocal straight up the middle. Then compression on the vocal just enough to tame it. same with the guitars. Then I'd try running the reverb on the vocal through a delay to keep it off the top of the vox.

I like the song though keep at it.

It is a nice song.

There is WAY too much reverb on the vocal (and little or none on the guitar). This is a very personal, immediate song, so you don't want the vocal coming from so far away. I would start from scratch with the vocal effects and first see how it sounds with just some delay. I agree that some compression on the vocal might be nice also. In fact, you might want to rerecord the vocal completely, if possible, since the performance has pitch problems and some strain, especially on the high notes.

The guitar does sound good. Some subtle compression could make it a little silkier. There is a small slightly strange quality like there is some chorus effect or something on it, although that might be the room. You could bring up the volume of the guitar a little during the break.

Thanks guys.

The guitar was done with two naiant MS2s, panned left and right. One has reverb, the other chorus. No compression.

The vocals do have alot of verb, there's also a second vocal track ( a straight copy and paste) with delay and verb. I'm gonna ditch all effects on the main vocal and maybe find out a better way to suppress it: the 'chorus' peaks quite high, I think I'll mess around with my compressor plugs to see if I can take the sting out of it.

I'm not a singer and find it hard to spot pitch problems, though I do know there's a MASSIVE one at the start!

Pretty Nice

I like the guitars, but the reverb is a bit much. I'd add some drums and bass guitar and really fill it out, but that's just me!!

Cool song,

JasonBird

I like the guitars, but the reverb is a bit much. I'd add some drums and bass guitar and really fill it out, but that's just me!!

Cool song,

JasonBird

Yeah that'd have been my approach too! But the guy was pretty adaman that it be one guitar.

It sounds complete without drums and bass. A little compression will enhance it as a solo instrument. I would ditch the chorus on the guitar.

It sounds complete without drums and bass. A little compression will enhance it as a solo instrument. I would ditch the chorus on the guitar.

Will try removing the chorus. Have you any suggesed settings for compressing acoustic?

Listening to new mix. Has a LOT reverb on the vocals. Too much. sounds like he's across the room. I'd dry em up a bunch to get that in-your-face modern ballad effect. Once you get that reverb off of it you may hear some EQ issues. I think they might need more air, but not sure. I'd use a pretty heavy compression ratio on them too. The chorus is way loud. Watch the meter on the compressor, if you have one. Set the threshold so little to no gain reduction is happening during the verse, and so it kicks is hard on the chorus. That may smooth them out, or you can always use a volume envelope. Lots of pitch problems too, but that's not your deal.

The guitars sound pretty good, but I'd personally like to hear 'em a little shinier. The left sounds kind of flabby. Maybe put some of that thick vocal reverb on the guitars and give them more high end. They're kinda dull and dry.

Just my 2 cents. :)

I think I'm gonna have to start this one all over again. Which i don't mind....the guy was just happy to have something down at the end of the day. I'm gonna use it to practice on.

on this kind of piece you could try an old skool trick taking the main vocal track and copying it to 2 ghost tracks and seperating them by minus and plus .5 cents giving a chorus effct but a much fuller one keep these dry and back a lil in the mix and add a nice room reverb to the main but keep it more in the dry this creates a very full and warm presence as i take it its kind of a love songish thing

Remix is better, but I'd still like to hear the vocal drier...that verb is distracting to me. Guitar sounds pretty nice, but is hidden by the vocals a bit. They need some taming, and drying up. Then work on the guitar as far as adding a touch of verb or something.

on this kind of piece you could try an old skool trick taking the main vocal track and copying it to 2 ghost tracks and seperating them by minus and plus .5 cents giving a chorus effct but a much fuller one keep these dry and back a lil in the mix and add a nice room reverb to the main but keep it more in the dry this creates a very full and warm presence as i take it its kind of a love songish thing

+/- .5 cents of what exactly?

I do think the vocal is a lot better. Maybe just shorten the reverb. Of course, fixing the vocal means now you have to go back and bring up the guitar....

Back