Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help with this mix...

Thanks

Help with this mix...

Sign in to disable this ad
    I did this last week for a friend. It's just one guitar and one vocal, which is a new one for me. I always kind of thought that with music, more is more. But anyway, a tune for his girlfriend who has to go back to Poland of all places. I need both help with the mix and general opinions on the song.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=8049
    Quote Originally Posted by Gummblefish
    Went out yesterday all day long and spent 125 quid on a bender (not literally a bender )

Thanks
    The guitars has beautiful tone. But they are fighting with the vocals. Try hard panning them left and right and put the vocal straight up the middle. Then compression on the vocal just enough to tame it. same with the guitars. Then I'd try running the reverb on the vocal through a delay to keep it off the top of the vox.

I like the song though keep at it.

Thanks
    It is a nice song.

There is WAY too much reverb on the vocal (and little or none on the guitar). This is a very personal, immediate song, so you don't want the vocal coming from so far away. I would start from scratch with the vocal effects and first see how it sounds with just some delay. I agree that some compression on the vocal might be nice also. In fact, you might want to rerecord the vocal completely, if possible, since the performance has pitch problems and some strain, especially on the high notes.

The guitar does sound good. Some subtle compression could make it a little silkier. There is a small slightly strange quality like there is some chorus effect or something on it, although that might be the room. You could bring up the volume of the guitar a little during the break.

Thanks
    Thanks guys.

The guitar was done with two naiant MS2s, panned left and right. One has reverb, the other chorus. No compression.

The vocals do have alot of verb, there's also a second vocal track ( a straight copy and paste) with delay and verb. I'm gonna ditch all effects on the main vocal and maybe find out a better way to suppress it: the 'chorus' peaks quite high, I think I'll mess around with my compressor plugs to see if I can take the sting out of it.

I'm not a singer and find it hard to spot pitch problems, though I do know there's a MASSIVE one at the start!
    Went out yesterday all day long and spent 125 quid on a bender (not literally a bender )

Thanks

Thumbs up Pretty Nice

I like the guitars, but the reverb is a bit much. I'd add some drums and bass guitar and really fill it out, but that's just me!!

Cool song,

JasonBird

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonBird View Post
    I like the guitars, but the reverb is a bit much. I'd add some drums and bass guitar and really fill it out, but that's just me!!

Cool song,

JasonBird
    Yeah that'd have been my approach too! But the guy was pretty adaman that it be one guitar.

Thanks
    It sounds complete without drums and bass. A little compression will enhance it as a solo instrument. I would ditch the chorus on the guitar.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LI_Slim View Post
    It sounds complete without drums and bass. A little compression will enhance it as a solo instrument. I would ditch the chorus on the guitar.
    Will try removing the chorus. Have you any suggesed settings for compressing acoustic?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TelePaul View Post
    Will try removing the chorus. Have you any suggesed settings for compressing acoustic?

I'm not knowledgeable enough.... just try something soft, like 3:1 and play around with it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LI_Slim View Post
    I'm not knowledgeable enough.... just try something soft, like 3:1 and play around with it.
    Thanks, I don't really trust compressors, they seem to be almost like a black art to me but I'll give it a go.

Thread Information