Hello Im new and here are MP3's for your feedback

MoonCrazy

Hi, I am a home recording artist in Seattle who is working towards a CD project with 11 tunes. I record using Cakewalk Home Studio 2004 XL. I am primarily a guitarist, but for the demo versions I am posting, I am playing all instruments except the drums which are loops from Drums On Demand (awesome product by the way).I have a Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card being fed by both direct inputs and the guitars through a POD V2.0.
These songs are rough mixes, without the vocals or acoustic instruments added yet, just the basic tracks. The neanderthal mixing was done by committing the cardinal sin of mixing on headphones. I know this is a horrible practice and intend to mix these right once I have a good sound room and pro monitors (and a lot more experience).
What I would like is just some general feedback on sound, arrangement, production and anything else you can help me with.

I have 6 demos ready for you to listen to but have all 11 songs (including lyrics) written. Since my ISP only allows 10Megs of webspace per e-mail address, I can only post 2 at a time on separate websites. Here are 4 of the tunes downloadable from the 2 sites below. Please let me know what you think. Feel free to critique it to ribbons, I just want to learn and to have the songs be the best they can.
Ill post the link to tunes #5 and #6 in a later post to this thread.
And in advance, thanks for taking the time to consider my work in the context of your experience and professionalism. I really appreciate this.

-Tim

Site #1 = http://home.earthlink.net/~emotico/

Site #2 = http://home.earthlink.net/~napalimoon/

Thanks for your comments DimC. Generic in the sense of structure? Like verse-bridge-chorus patterns or did you mean something else?

I heard compass... no vocals... are all your songs instrumental?

not bad... good playing and arrangement... I like the drum sound...

it has that mid80s - early 90s feel....

You SHOULD consider getting a Audiophile2496 to replace the SBcard....

Thanks, Leeking. They will all have vocals, eventually. They just havent been recorded yet. All the lyrics are written, though.
And thanks forn the suggestion on the soundcard. I will look into it.

I'm getting really heavy MP3 artifacts on these, but it sounds like a good quality recording is behind them somewhere. Surprisingly decent considering the SB... Guitar tone is classic for the POD - One of the only direct guitar interfaces I'd even consider recording with. They are some pretty bad-ass sounding drum lines...

I generally don't comment on writing style, but for the most part, there's nothing "wrong" with any of it... Finding a Way is quite catchy - Tree of Heaven failed to get my foot moving, but it's been a long day, and my feet hurt. :D

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

Back