heh! Check this out!

tanlith

King of the Wicker People
I had to put this up... All the work I've been doing in Acid and with my guitar and I think I know why I haven't been able to produce something worth posting... All along I thought it was my equipment... turns out it's my SON who has all the talent :P

OK I'm not trying to be a father bragging about his kid, but give this a listen (and keep in mind it's an 8yr old with a slight learning disorder at the keybord... he did some of the "loops' used himself most were from my loop library... but still...)

Dance Groove

Maybe I'm biased, but I think he's got a good ear... I just don't wanna start forkin out $$$ for music lessons before i get a (few) opinion(s) about it?

- Tanlith -

well first of all i would not say you are biased by any means. any time our children take a notion to express themselves with music is awesome. he realy sounds like he is very creative, if it is somthing you feel will hold his attention for more than a few days i would say he would definately benefit from music lessons. i have a daughter that is 8 and she does all kinds of hobbies that keep her busy. from playing the clarinet to singing and snowboarding. to bmx bicycle racing. i would definately take this as you son is expressing himself and if you get involved and plant a seed within him it will grow to great levels and it is somthing you two can share for along time. very wonderful are our children at this age and they are at there best learning age as well and are most impresionable. i cant believe no one has responded to this and im proud to be the first. i always go down the column and respond to the ones that dont have any respnses first. anyway i commend you on your eeforts with your son and incourage you. tell him flash said good job and that he is well on his way to performing great music. nice thread and ill talk to you later. god bless you and your family. tim pate

flash2ace said:
well first of all i would not say you are biased by any means. any time our children take a notion to express themselves with music is awesome. he realy sounds like he is very creative, if it is somthing you feel will hold his attention for more than a few days i would say he would definately benefit from music lessons. i have a daughter that is 8 and she does all kinds of hobbies that keep her busy. from playing the clarinet to singing and snowboarding. to bmx bicycle racing. ....

Thanks for the kind words... I was hoping it wasn't just me. Aparently he spends hours at the PC playing with Acid Pro (I'm seperated so he doesn't actually live with me :( ) So I guess I gunna have to dig deep and get him some lessons :) (I'm pretty stoked about the idea!)

:D :D :D :D

- Tanlith -

8 years old? How much did you have to do with this? Did he do it all on his own? Because if he did, I'm floored! If you don't mind me asking, what is his learning disability? Sometimes I think that people with slight mental variations put out some of the most creative stuff. They come from a different place. The "tune" put me a little on edge. Very interesting. Please tell us how much you had to do with it and how much was him....very fascinating!

Sydfan said:
8 years old? How much did you have to do with this? Did he do it all on his own? Because if he did, I'm floored! If you don't mind me asking, what is his learning disability? Sometimes I think that people with slight mental variations put out some of the most creative stuff. They come from a different place. The "tune" put me a little on edge. Very interesting. Please tell us how much you had to do with it and how much was him....very fascinating!

Some of the loops were pre made by me a while ago and sitting in a folder waiting to be used. Some of the synth loops you hear he actually made. All the aranging was all him... he even did the main drum loop in Fruity Loops then exported it as a loop. Other than some of the extra loops (reverse cymbal and cymbal crash and a couple others including the 2 I made earlier) it was all him.

His disability is called "Global Learning Disorder" and in his case its "mild" which is to say curable... the disorder isn't actually a mental then but a social disorder... (I won't go into details here, but when my wife dicided to leave me she moved around ALOT and he was 3 when she left... so this "condition" arose preventing him from being able to function properly on a social level)

I'm pretty sure this is why he's got this ability. He's also at a grade 4 level math... his teacher doesn't know what to do with him. Because he's incapable of functioning in a social setting he tends to be very "task" oriented and can be extremely "focused" on whatever it is that holds his intrest... and he loves music.

I'll be picking him up this weekend... I'm gunna see if my ex will let me copy the .ACD files from his PC (He has the same loop library as me... I gave him a copy) and hear what else he's made... maybe I'll post a couple more...

tanlith said:
I'll be picking him up this weekend... I'm gunna see if my ex will let me copy the .ACD files from his PC (He has the same loop library as me... I gave him a copy) and hear what else he's made... maybe I'll post a couple more...
Please do!

Alright... I grabbed my son's entire music folder (About 300megs worth of stuff in there... I snagged his MP3s)

I listened to some of it... i still got a bunch to go through, but this one caught my eye (ummm and ear?)

A lot of the MP3s he rendered were just a mish-mosh of different noises and loops he string together (At least that's what I made of em... I'm gunna go over them again later...

I don't know weather to be happy he's got a decent ear or take him to therapy.... this song was a bit haunting and disturbing to me. (Seems to sound better through headphones...Probably cause he uses headphones... his mom took his speakers away... he likes his music loud :) )

Bad Dreams

- Tanlith -

What is he using to encode those MP3's?

They download as cryptic text files on a Mac despite the .mp3 file extension. Had to convert 'em with iTunes to listen to 'em. Weird.:confused:

Anyway, that's pretty cool stuff, especially for an 8-year-old.

I'd say he's already found his own kind of therapy.;) Just make sure he understands what can happen to his ears if he listens to loud music for extended periods.

Good thing he has a supportive father.:)

Tanlith,
I agree with m.brane, he's found his therapy, now you need to nurture it. It looks like he's got a grasp on the technical end, see if you can get him some lessons.
My 7 yr. old is taking guitar lessons in school. We're lucky enough to have a local jazz musician working at his school. hopefully you can find your own little stroke of luck somewhere. This will strenghten your bond with him as you spend quality time with him enjoying a shared interest.

bd

M.Brane said:
What is he using to encode those MP3's?

They download as cryptic text files on a Mac despite the .mp3 file extension. Had to convert 'em with iTunes to listen to 'em. Weird.:confused:

He encodes em right from Acid Pro... SO I guess he's using the codec that comes with it.

Thanks for all the responses. He wants to learn guitar, but I need to find one he can actually play. Mine has a pretty 'fast' neck, but it's still a little big... any ideas?

Our local music store has some "kid sized" guitars but they all sound like crap... like the fret layout was done by a tone deaf monkey.

- Tanlith -

I saw in the MF catalog that Fender mades a kid size strat, called a Squire Mini. The price on it is $99.99.....that and a little $60 Ibanez amp and he should be good to go. My boy has a birthday coming in April, I'm thinking I'll get him one.

bd

bdbdbuck said:
I saw in the MF catalog that Fender mades a kid size strat, called a Squire Mini. The price on it is $99.99.....that and a little $60 Ibanez amp and he should be good to go. My boy has a birthday coming in April, I'm thinking I'll get him one.

bd

Sa-weeeet! I'll look in to it this week... thanks man. :)

If it's a fender it should be decent.

- Tanlith -

Eight Years Old?

I'm totally blown away....I don't know my way around Acid very much, but I couldn't even operate my Nintendo when I was eight

That's amazing

This is fantastic..

I didnt even know how to choke my chicken yet at 8 years old.

We all need to look out, this kid's got great things ahead of him.

Wow... thanks for all the great replies. My I read them to my son (Ummm he can read, I read them over the phone to him) he says to say thanks!

Since the space my ISP provides is so limited (they took the song offline again -- seems they have issues with MP3 files... they don't wanna get caught in the middle of a lawsuit, so they just blow em away at random) My son and I are making a website for him. I found a place that provides 50megs for pretty cheap (Around $15/mo after taxes and exchange from Canadian to US funds) If any of you know of a better deal please lemme know asap...

- Thanks again... I'll be sure to have his stuff online soon!

Oh yeah! Before I forget, I got my site mostly done. I'm just waiting for the DNS update... click my name to check it out (Might not work for another 24-48hrs) Once it's up and running I'll be sure to post here.

- Tanlith -

tanlith said:
Since the space my ISP provides is so limited (they took the song offline again -- seems they have issues with MP3 files... they don't wanna get caught in the middle of a lawsuit, so they just blow em away at random) My son and I are making a website for him. I found a place that provides 50megs for pretty cheap (Around $15/mo after taxes and exchange from Canadian to US funds) If any of you know of a better deal please lemme know asap...

www.nowhereradio.com is the place to be.Thats where 90% of the guys around here store there mp3's.Pay a small monthly fee of $2.50 USD for INFINITE space.
If you pay for 12 months you get a month free.
Now thats a deal.

Free account gives you 15 megabytes of space.

Back