Heavy Rock Tune

xfinsterx

Hey Guys, I just tracked this Band and i was curious what people thought of the mix i did for this tune.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

I kept waiting for vocals... But alas, they never came.
I don't care for the snare sound but I just like a lower tuned snare.
Also, the snare seems like it is on it's own plane
Away from the rest of the song, to me.

Then again what do I know...

It does sound like you actually kept some of the mids in the guitars...
Kudos...
I can't stand the super scooped guitar sound that's so popular these days.

Sounds like you did a great job tracking and mixing. I'm not a big fan of the phaser on the guitar at the beginning, mostly because some kind of weird phasier than normal distortion seems to be happening, and I too have a problem with the snare, but that's it.

The phaser thing is a total nit; I'm not sure about the snare though...can you beef it up any? It's not just the range of the snare, it's the "roominess" of it that bugs me...the kick sounds like a big huge massive sample (sounds good, drumagogged or not), then you've got this pissant little snare, lol...I dunno'; I know you noticed it, so I'm assuming it was a band decision.

Besides, you're way beyond my help, lol.

chrisharris said:
Sounds like you did a great job tracking and mixing. I'm not a big fan of the phaser on the guitar at the beginning, mostly because some kind of weird phasier than normal distortion seems to be happening, and I too have a problem with the snare, but that's it.

The phaser thing is a total nit; I'm not sure about the snare though...can you beef it up any? It's not just the range of the snare, it's the "roominess" of it that bugs me...the kick sounds like a big huge massive sample (sounds good, drumagogged or not), then you've got this pissant little snare, lol...I dunno'; I know you noticed it, so I'm assuming it was a band decision.

Besides, you're way beyond my help, lol.

Yeah the snare, the sanre, the snare.

Man i hate that damned thing! :)

Sounds like hes beating a tin can. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tips too. You pretty much confirmed everything i had little doubts about. Phasey gtrs efx, snare, roominess.

As always, yours is great advice Chris.

Thanks.

Disposable said:
I kept waiting for vocals... But alas, they never came.
I don't care for the snare sound but I just like a lower tuned snare.
Also, the snare seems like it is on it's own plane
Away from the rest of the song, to me.

Then again what do I know...

It does sound like you actually kept some of the mids in the guitars...
Kudos...
I can't stand the super scooped guitar sound that's so popular these days.

Crappy snare? "Check" :)

It is a bit loud isnt it?

And about the guitars...if i posted a clip of the original guitar sound "before i shaped it"...you wouldnt br so happy. :eek:
I miced the 4x12 with a ribbon, a condencer, and a dynamic.
On the condencer's track i high and low passed all but the 900hz to 2k region and just boosted that in the mix till the mids returned enough to fill out the mix.

But i agree man, over scooped guitars suck!
I love mids!

Spaztic said:
Sounds good, I agree with Disposable, the snare sounds to highly tuned.

Bingo!

Its a 12in snare thats been cranked to the sky.

Can we say "weightless"? :rolleyes:

I might have to be pushy and retrack the tune with something better.
We will see.

This one track is being recorded as a pre production "whats what" guideline.
So all this feedback is good stuuf, thanks.

Oh btw, the drummer (amazing guy that he is) played his stuff to a click and did it in (gasp :eek: ) ONE TAKE!!

'''There is a god", and hes at Geomana.

Wow.

Everybody's already hit the points I heard. That is the WORST sounding snare (within a decent recording) I have ever heard. It distracts your attention from the rest of the song. The rest of the drums sound pretty good.

The only thing that bugged me about the guitars - when the distorted guits come back in at about 3/4 of the way thru, the left and the right parts don't seem to sync quite right. Not bad, just not right. (that's just a personal taste thing tho - and a performance thing - the recording is fine)

Nice work! (but please put your foot, fist, bat, whatever thru that effin snare) :D

I can't point anything out to you that you already haven't heard, so I 'll just say, cool tune. I enjoyed listening.
Ed

NL5 said:
Wow.

Everybody's already hit the points I heard. That is the WORST sounding snare (within a decent recording) I have ever heard. It distracts your attention from the rest of the song. The rest of the drums sound pretty good.

The only thing that bugged me about the guitars - when the distorted guits come back in at about 3/4 of the way thru, the left and the right parts don't seem to sync quite right. Not bad, just not right. (that's just a personal taste thing tho - and a performance thing - the recording is fine)

Nice work! (but please put your foot, fist, bat, whatever thru that effin snare) :D
My kid has a toy snare that sounds like this. I "accidently" stepped on it. Great mixing, otherwise.
I too, wanted some vocals....

Damn, those rhythm guitars are awesome, what was that setup? My points have already been stated, the phaser just sounds lame... The snare sounds disgusting, but I actually feel that it fits the song. I would love some vocals :cool: No other nits on this stuff, great job man!

The snare...Reminiscent of Helmet. I kinda like it, but... My music collection contains everything from jazz, to ...Sepultura. I listen to alot of stuff, so it's not out of place. Vocals are a must for this tune.
Ed

Well I for one don't hate the snare, it's the right type for the song - but I think it needed muffling a little. Ot is it just a shitty snare, not built for the task? That ringing "ping" after the attack is killing it. Maybe a bottom mic to grab the sizzley snares. Looser snares? I dunno, just throwing some ideas out. It just doesn't bark like it needs to.

Former jazz drummer??

The heavy guitars sound a little bit narrow, but they're really powerful. For me, it can be tough to spread things out without losing some power.

Their's something else I'm looking for... oh yeah, this is good mathy metal - crank the guitars!! (a wee bit).

The band - sounds a bit like Helmut but smarter. And the overall mix? Well let's just say this is a really good pre-production!

Out of curiousity, how big and/or live are the rooms you recorded these guys in? I should stop by and see for myself sometime, but I've been a busy beaver...

Nice work.

Back