Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Heavy Rock Tune

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Portland/Oregon
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,470
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    127264

    Heavy Rock Tune

    Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey Guys, I just tracked this Band and i was curious what people thought of the mix i did for this tune.

    Thanks in advance for any insight.

    http://www.geomana.com/~new_audio/EyeLid%20Mix1.mp3

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Age
    37
    Posts
    503
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    17
    I kept waiting for vocals... But alas, they never came.
    I don't care for the snare sound but I just like a lower tuned snare.
    Also, the snare seems like it is on it's own plane
    Away from the rest of the song, to me.

    Then again what do I know...

    It does sound like you actually kept some of the mids in the guitars...
    Kudos...
    I can't stand the super scooped guitar sound that's so popular these days.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    215
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    21
    Sounds good, I agree with Disposable, the snare sounds to highly tuned.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    5,224
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
    Rep Power
    15770430
    Sounds like you did a great job tracking and mixing. I'm not a big fan of the phaser on the guitar at the beginning, mostly because some kind of weird phasier than normal distortion seems to be happening, and I too have a problem with the snare, but that's it.

    The phaser thing is a total nit; I'm not sure about the snare though...can you beef it up any? It's not just the range of the snare, it's the "roominess" of it that bugs me...the kick sounds like a big huge massive sample (sounds good, drumagogged or not), then you've got this pissant little snare, lol...I dunno'; I know you noticed it, so I'm assuming it was a band decision.

    Besides, you're way beyond my help, lol.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Portland/Oregon
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,470
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    127264
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisharris
    Sounds like you did a great job tracking and mixing. I'm not a big fan of the phaser on the guitar at the beginning, mostly because some kind of weird phasier than normal distortion seems to be happening, and I too have a problem with the snare, but that's it.

    The phaser thing is a total nit; I'm not sure about the snare though...can you beef it up any? It's not just the range of the snare, it's the "roominess" of it that bugs me...the kick sounds like a big huge massive sample (sounds good, drumagogged or not), then you've got this pissant little snare, lol...I dunno'; I know you noticed it, so I'm assuming it was a band decision.

    Besides, you're way beyond my help, lol.
    Yeah the snare, the sanre, the snare.

    Man i hate that damned thing!

    Sounds like hes beating a tin can.

    Thanks for the tips too. You pretty much confirmed everything i had little doubts about. Phasey gtrs efx, snare, roominess.

    As always, yours is great advice Chris.

    Thanks.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Portland/Oregon
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,470
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    127264
    Quote Originally Posted by Disposable
    I kept waiting for vocals... But alas, they never came.
    I don't care for the snare sound but I just like a lower tuned snare.
    Also, the snare seems like it is on it's own plane
    Away from the rest of the song, to me.

    Then again what do I know...

    It does sound like you actually kept some of the mids in the guitars...
    Kudos...
    I can't stand the super scooped guitar sound that's so popular these days.
    Crappy snare? "Check"

    It is a bit loud isnt it?

    And about the guitars...if i posted a clip of the original guitar sound "before i shaped it"...you wouldnt br so happy.
    I miced the 4x12 with a ribbon, a condencer, and a dynamic.
    On the condencer's track i high and low passed all but the 900hz to 2k region and just boosted that in the mix till the mids returned enough to fill out the mix.

    But i agree man, over scooped guitars suck!
    I love mids!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Portland/Oregon
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,470
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    127264
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaztic
    Sounds good, I agree with Disposable, the snare sounds to highly tuned.
    Bingo!

    Its a 12in snare thats been cranked to the sky.

    Can we say "weightless"?

    I might have to be pushy and retrack the tune with something better.
    We will see.

    This one track is being recorded as a pre production "whats what" guideline.
    So all this feedback is good stuuf, thanks.

    Oh btw, the drummer (amazing guy that he is) played his stuff to a click and did it in (gasp ) ONE TAKE!!

    '''There is a god", and hes at Geomana.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Analog Heaven!!!
    Age
    49
    Posts
    5,151
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    1865680
    Wow.

    Everybody's already hit the points I heard. That is the WORST sounding snare (within a decent recording) I have ever heard. It distracts your attention from the rest of the song. The rest of the drums sound pretty good.

    The only thing that bugged me about the guitars - when the distorted guits come back in at about 3/4 of the way thru, the left and the right parts don't seem to sync quite right. Not bad, just not right. (that's just a personal taste thing tho - and a performance thing - the recording is fine)

    Nice work! (but please put your foot, fist, bat, whatever thru that effin snare)
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -B.F.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Unicorn Heaven
    Age
    56
    Posts
    15,602
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 35 Times in 27 Posts
    Rep Power
    21474866
    I can't point anything out to you that you already haven't heard, so I 'll just say, cool tune. I enjoyed listening.
    Ed
    Honey Badger is badass...he don't give a shit.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    How did I get HERE?
    Age
    52
    Posts
    11,374
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    19286565
    Quote Originally Posted by NL5
    Wow.

    Everybody's already hit the points I heard. That is the WORST sounding snare (within a decent recording) I have ever heard. It distracts your attention from the rest of the song. The rest of the drums sound pretty good.

    The only thing that bugged me about the guitars - when the distorted guits come back in at about 3/4 of the way thru, the left and the right parts don't seem to sync quite right. Not bad, just not right. (that's just a personal taste thing tho - and a performance thing - the recording is fine)

    Nice work! (but please put your foot, fist, bat, whatever thru that effin snare)
    My kid has a toy snare that sounds like this. I "accidently" stepped on it. Great mixing, otherwise.
    I too, wanted some vocals....
    Instead of a Do Not Disturb Sign, I need one that says "Already Disturbed. Proceed With Caution".

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. New groovin rock zeplineaque tune
    By LemonTree in forum MP3 Mixing Clinic
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-21-2004, 21:43
  2. Rock N Roll cover tune (this one rocks!)
    By kjam22 in forum MP3 Mixing Clinic
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-09-2004, 06:07
  3. Heavy Rock - Run Away
    By Myx62 in forum MP3 Mixing Clinic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-16-2003, 01:19
  4. Dark Heavy Rock Thing, Need EQ help!
    By SixStringBlues in forum MP3 Mixing Clinic
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-03-2002, 15:17

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •