Heavy Metal-Please check my final mix

Atterion

Would like some input on my final mix please. So far seems to me, that it sounds pretty good on every car stereo, home stereo, and/or boom-box I could lay my hands on. But I would like to hear your thoughts. I'm beginning to think if I mess with the mix anymore, it'll only be counter-productive.

I've dicked with the snare to the ends of my wits and back. Seems like the guitars and vox are pretty balanced (sometimes the vox are little buried in the mix, but that was due to the performance when tracking...Never claimed to be a good vocalist :D ).

This mix features more intensive mastering than past versions, which I think was the key.

Appreciate any input. ThanX :)

FALSE CRUSADER

I think it sounds pretty good. I think the only thing you could do to bring the vocal more out front, would be to drop the rest of the music about 1 db. Don't know if that is waht sound you want, but only thing I hear that could be changed. Maybe someone else will have some better suggestions.

Good job on this one.
Ed

Thanks Ed,

I just couldn't get the guitars to have the bite everyone wanted to hear witout really pushing them right to the limit. Which makes it hard for the vox to sit in the mix 100%. The guitars are comprised of only 2 tracks, Perhaps I should try doubling the guitar tracks, and try Panning/EQ'ing the duplicates differently. seems to be a popular method. I could probably run the guitars a bit quieter then, right??? Any suggestions???

The Left guitar track is an Ibanez RG tracked with a Mesa Dual Rectifier (Through a Marshall 1960A cab with Shure SM-57 and Audio Technica Pro-5 mics), and is sent through a mixer send to feed a Digitech GSP-7 (about 90% Mesa/10% GSP-7 for added bite).

The right guitar track is a Fender single-coil Strat through a Vox Tonelab SE (set to a kinda 50w boutique sound), and run through Amplitube for a little added bite, and cab feel. We decided not to retrack that one with a humbucker, because the single-coil does add an element of midrange dirtyness that sounds pretty cool. But we did record DI's of both tracks, maybe I should try reamping it through my Mesa or through my guitarists JCM-800 (The Marshall was dead when we tracked these guitars last year).

Hey Ed drink a beer with cellardweller for me. Someday I'll make it to basement with you all.

not sure i agree about the vox, wouldn't want them any louder.

wierd to me to have a different git sound in each ear, off ballence a little maby?

bass?

maby more snare (maby it just needs to be a little more "crisp")

the entire thing is a little lo-fi to me.
but go back to the mix, don't try to correct that in "mastering"

Atterion, I'd hit giraffe up for some more specifics. He's much better at mixing stuff than I am. (check out his mix in the public mix threads.) I can pick some stuff out, like the thin guitar sound, but can't tell you how to fix it. I would suggest to track left and right guitars with one, pan them 40-50%, and maybe overlay another guitar or 2 somwhere in there. You would have to decrease the volume of each one, but it might fatten the sound up. Also sounds like you need to do some eq work, and again, I'm not that good. Hopefully you can get someone such as giraffe to have some more specifics. Check out some of the better mixes in the PMC, and see if they have the time to help you.

Wish I could help more, but it would just be trial and error from me. Sorry, and good luck. I'll keep checking this tune to see how it turns out.
Ed

the song is pretty good...

for me, the guitars just don't have enough body, fullness and bite...

same for the snare... add some low Q dbs around 3K or add a sample...

-kp-

ThanX folks,

I'll probably end up retracking the guitars all together. I don't understand Giraffe's comment about having a different guitar sound in each ear??? How else would you do it??? That is just the traditional thing to do, Right??? Aside from that, the snare is as good as it is going to get (anyone who heard it in previous versions will attest that this sound is 10000% percent better). But I will probably dick with it some more for giggles. And no I am not trying to fix anything in mastering, but previously I wasn't really doing anything in mastering other than bringing the levels up a bit. This time around I added a little high-pass push at about 4Khz and above (For a bit more overall top-end "sparkle", which I think needs to come even more still), and a small push in the 50hz-125hz. Thanks again.

Back