Heavier tune for your expertise

Hi ashulman.

I'm listening right now. I think the guitar is way low in the mix. In the intro like that it should be treated like a lead vocal line and the rest should be balanced around that being up front. It’s to low all around, even in the solo.

The vocals need to come up too. The beginning of the second verse is real hard to understand. Sometimes when you know the song well you mix the vocals low and you can pick out every word but only because you know them all.

Nice beefy bottom sounds. Nice song too!

Joe

Those cymbals are taking away from the mix right out of the gate.The ride cymbal,open hat(or whatever that is that's pounding away)should be panned off to one side instead of coming out of both sides.It should be turned down a little too.It's overbearing and harsh the way it is.

The rhythm guitar should be doubled(played twice,not copied pasted or duped)then pan them hard right and left.

The muted guitar stuff should have more definition and a little more volume.The solo needs to come up.It sounds like it's the same guitar thats playing the muted stuff.I can hear it in both speakers but it doesnt sound doubled.If it's not doubled and you have it in stereo it'll just cause problems with making the mix sound muddy.

The drums almost have no defintion.The snare needs some pop to it and the kick needs to be less boomier.

The vocals are good and on pitch all the way through as far as I can tell.You might wanna bring the vocals up just a little too.

Conclusion:
The whole mix is just a muddy wash of sound right now because there is no use of panning going on and most everything is fighting for the same sonic space.(If there is any extreme panning going on I cant hear it.)
Im sure some others will come along with some EQ ideas to help you bring the instruments out in the mix.

I like roomy drum sounds, but this sounds like it was recorded in a huge room with one mic- 50' back.:eek: Drums need more definition & punch.

I don't dig all the FX on the vocal. A little is cool, but IMO if you notice it right away it's too much. Lose the FX and gain some confidence in your voice.:)

Guitars a little harsh, but that might be what your going for. I would back off the gain a bit myself.;)

Cool catchy power-pop. Very Wheezer-ish.:cool:

I'm listening but it's rebuffering so much I have to wait 'till I have time to download it before I can critique it so as I said earlier......stay up 'till 4:00 in the morning and watch for my post. :D

This feedback makes all that carping about newbies earlier worthwhile! This was extremely helpful. As I mentioned I am having trouble with this so I'll try some of the suggestions. The drums are tricky because they are programmed but I might try EQ or just change the drumset and see what happens. I thought I did OK on the panning but apparently not and I see your point. Back to the drawing board.

Nice Song, Needs a remix

Cool song, not really my style but if you remixed it bringing down the cymbals, uping the bass drum, maybe guitars a touch, and adding a little more crispness in the vocals that would make it lots better. And jack the lead intro up as was earlier stated. I might even take alittle of the lows out of the voice. Nice song just needs a little remixing.

Like the Beef guys said, good tune, good picking, just needs some remixing and some spatial organization. And bring those vocals up, we dont know the words, you do, sing to us loud. :)
This is just a humble suggestion here... Have you tried taking everything down and working with just the bass and drums and then add 1 track back at the time till you get it built like you want? I`m slow and dumb so I have to do mine that way and it helps me a little.
Ken

Toki987 said:

This is just a humble suggestion here... Have you tried taking everything down and working with just the bass and drums and then add 1 track back at the time till you get it built like you want? I`m slow and dumb so I have to do mine that way and it helps me a little.
Ken

There ya go toki.Thats exactly what the doctor ordered for this mix.A do over from ground 0 starting with the elements of the rhythm section.

I'm drunk as a son-of-a-bitch....

.....and now I'm ready to hear your songs.....:D No shit!...I drank 4 dbl Johnny Walkers in the last couple of hours and I'm barely functional but I'm a gonna listen to your....urp*....song cause....
......I promised and I'm gonna do it...now where's that button....no....that's not it....hmmm.. CRASH!! oops.....well that's still not....wait! There it is.......2 sticks to rub together.........dum da dum...

Oh Lord.....I'm gonna feel sooooo crappy tomorrow.....sigh.....:rolleyes: :p
Ok....2 sticks is kinda a fun little tune.....a bit bass heavy

OK ....Shadow.....guitar is buried.....there's an almost distorted sound to everything...like you maybe cut it a little hot......guitars really need to come up....vocals are pretty good.....nice performance...and a nice tune...
And Rain.....I like the tremelo guitar a bunch.....you sing well.....kinda a cool synth solo........I think 6 months from now you're gonna be turning out some fine stuff....not that this isn't nice.....but when you fix the mix it's gonna open up whole new directions for you....nice work.....now I gotta go eat and crash 'cause i gotta get up in about 4 hours.....there...feel loved now? ;)

Nothing beats mixing advice from a tired boozer. But the consensus is in and I went to work last night remixing. I'm a little concerned about the hot guitars though. This was my intention to some extent but may have been a bad judgement call. I didn't want the Stooges "Raw Power" after all. I never thought to mix from the rhythm section up but I will try it. I may have to retrack some stuff if I can't get it right. I took the effects off the vocals but kind of liked the doubling effect so the jury is still out there. I also found a key mistake in my panning in which two guitars playing rhythm were panned right together and the muted guitar sat alone left. This fix was a big help. I'm also changing the programmed drumset.

Back