"Heaven", new from Bats Brew

I like the mix too. Cool synth and guitar duet. A couple of issues jump out for me. First, that delay you have on the vocal is emphasizing the sibilance. If you mute everything but the delay return, you'll hear what I mean. Second, with that bass (or synth?) I'm hearing more boom than fundamental. Overall, levels seem fine. I wouldn't mind hearing the lyrics more clearly.

I like the mix too. Cool synth and guitar duet. A couple of issues jump out for me. First, that delay you have on the vocal is emphasizing the sibilance. If you mute everything but the delay return, you'll hear what I mean. Second, with that bass (or synth?) I'm hearing more boom than fundamental. Overall, levels seem fine. I wouldn't mind hearing the lyrics more clearly.

hey robus,
thanks for listening...

i actually DID do some deessing on the vox, but the sweet spot for the clarity happens to be where the de ess needs to occur,
so i split the diff and backed off the deess a bit.....
i a/b'd some floyd, and some modern stuff like dream theatre, and just could not take all the high end out without making it sound dull..

the delay itself, actually has a high end rolloff starting at 4k,
so i don't think that is adding the ess....

the deep synth bass,
well, kinda the same thing,
as soon as you start rolling that low end off to make it play nice,
it somewhat neuters it.

and, it depends on your playback system
what are you listening back on?

Studio monitors in an untreated room. Not ideal, but I'm getting a sense of how things translate and making the mental adjustments. I expect the bass to sound a bit wonky, especially, but I'm gaining a sense of when the wonkiness is down to my listening environment and when it is down to the mix.

Studio monitors in an untreated room. Not ideal, but I'm getting a sense of how things translate and making the mental adjustments. I expect the bass to sound a bit wonky, especially, but I'm gaining a sense of when the wonkiness is down to my listening environment and when it is down to the mix.

YEA, I'M IN the same boat..

i do have ARC 2.0, and use it off and on, to check against my treated room with correction, and without.
it's a good tool.

---------- Update ----------

oh yea
i did NOT do the mastering on this, tho, i sent it to a mastering house in new hampshire

i master all my own stuff,
but not this album.

I expect the bass to sound a bit wonky, especially, but I'm gaining a sense of when the wonkiness is down to my listening environment and when it is down to the mix.

you can train your ears to work around certain room nodes.... by listening to a LOT of pro releases..
but it's nicer to not have to work so hard.

i'm interested in checking into one of those 'headphone correction' softwares for my particular cans,
as a means to spot check stuff, and trust it more.

of course, do as much room correction first, as you can afford to do.
it goes a LONG way to fixing some of the issues.

Yeah, when the synth bass goes really low I'm hearing a sizzle that sounds a little like clipping.

Apart from that it's a great sounding piece, very different from other songs I've heard from you.

Yeah, when the synth bass goes really low I'm hearing a sizzle that sounds a little like clipping.

Apart from that it's a great sounding piece, very different from other songs I've heard from you.

alright fat fleet!
thanks for listening and commenting too....

there is no clipping,
all the tracks are very clean with tons of headroom..

what you are hearing is a square wave synth, that when it rolls into the lowest part, the square wave becomes more dominant..
on a big system, it sounds like a giant machine grinding out a single wicked tone!
LOL

the best this sounds,
is on a big system with a sub, super high watts with tons of headroom.
and a sweet rolled off high end.......

yes, this one was quite different than my usual...
i wanted to experiment in some new directions.

this is where i landed.

i think i could do an entire album of stuff like this....

but i favor a more 'band' scenario, it'd be closer to 'floyd' than, say, vangelis

Back