Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: "Hearts Collide" - feedback needed/wanted

Thanks

"Hearts Collide" - feedback needed/wanted

Sign in to disable this ad
    Let me know how this one shaped up? Had some help shaping the guitar/drums from very helpful members. Some new guitar plugs - Lepou (free) through Recab ($40-ish). Bass also through Recab. First time I've done a true double on the rhythm guitars instead of copy/paste/modify with EQ/delay. I definitely like this better.

Any/all comments welcome. thanks!

"No healthy person waits in line with a slew of geriatrics on a Sunday morning for pancakes" - RFR https://soundcloud.com/andrushkiwt

Thanks
    Nice one. Sounds REALLY good on first listen. I do like the guitars, especially the chunky parts. I think everything sounds well constructed. Not an expert on drums, but they do sound good to me. Vocals blend nicely with the music. Sometimes it sounds like the vocals are muddy during chorus and I think its because of the delay you have going, but doesn't sound bad. Great job
    Sonar X, Les Paul, Marshall DSL40C, AD2, Rode NT1, Shure SM57, and Dunlop picks, and cheap egg shakers, and Nike Shoes.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bruthish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruthish View Post
    Nice one. Sounds REALLY good on first listen. I do like the guitars, especially the chunky parts. I think everything sounds well constructed. Not an expert on drums, but they do sound good to me. Vocals blend nicely with the music. Sometimes it sounds like the vocals are muddy during chorus and I think its because of the delay you have going, but doesn't sound bad. Great job
    ok thanks Bruthish. yeah the vocals were a battle... the chorus is double tracked, there's a delay, and there are harmonies at 70% each side. This was the first time i stood while singing...i usually sit. lol. i think i was moving around too much while tracking them, i wasn't really satisfied with their sound. also, i pulled back when i sang the choruses and louder parts. i might have pulled away too much.
    "No healthy person waits in line with a slew of geriatrics on a Sunday morning for pancakes" - RFR https://soundcloud.com/andrushkiwt

Thanks
    I usually sit when singing too mainly because I am recording scratch vocals. But I do notice its better to stand usually. Of course with a crappy voice like mine, I take any advantage I can get. lol
    Sonar X, Les Paul, Marshall DSL40C, AD2, Rode NT1, Shure SM57, and Dunlop picks, and cheap egg shakers, and Nike Shoes.

Thanks
    i think the performance is better when standing, but mine seems to sound better when sitting.

Thanks
    A few ppl have asked why it's so quiet... you know, there were two peaks that were messing everything up there. I ran slight compression before the limiter, something like 1.2:1 so that it only took off 1db from those peaks. The rest of the song was barely affected by it. I wonder if I should have hit those peaks harder with the compressor, maybe a few db's instead of 1. that would have let me put the limiter up some more, or even just the master volume fader.

Thanks
    Good one, maybe your best yet of the ones I've heard. I can't understand much at all of the lyrics. I'd take the guitars down a notch to open space for the vocals. For me, the gold standard is: Every word should be intelligible, at least for those willing to listen carefully. But maybe the lyrics aren't such a big deal for you. Bass sounds great. Your drums always seem a tad busy for me, but it's less of an issue here than in some of your other songs.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Robus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Really full guitar sound, I love how it fills the low mids. It does seem to mask the vocals just a bit though, I think the vocals can come up a bit anyway so maybe that would address that. There's a cha-chugga in the verses I think that kind of boomed on my headphones. Sounds really good overall!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to easlern For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You've got a good balanced pop rock mix. Compress the lead vocals a little more maybe? Just to keep them out in front of the guitars when you're quieter. Honestly, if you did that you could probably even get away with taking all the vocals down a db. Other than that, it's really just up to taste. Personally, I'd give the kick and snare some more punch and really let them move the mix while the guitars sit loud and proud in front. But that's just because I love a good wall of sound for a chorus like that. If it were me, I'd probably also turn that bass down a hair and add some more overdrive for a smoother blend.

In short, IF IT WERE ME I'd do something along these lines:
    -compress the vocals more
    -turn the bass down
    -overdrive the bass
    -turn the guitars up
    -make that kick punch harder

All in all fwiw it's a good mix to me anyways.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to wtfuhz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    nice song,enjoyed it thanks

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cakewalkKaKed For This Useful Post:

Thread Information