"Hearts Collide" - feedback needed/wanted

I liked it, two of my nits have been hit already (bass drum is more of a presence (or pressure) than a hit, and the bass sound is not very distinct...thank you, wtfuhz). The third (a bit of a mudiness around 150hz at points) was a bit distracting through the M-Audios, but not noticeable on the Rokit 5s...well, that makes sense from the freq ranges of each. :)

The end of the first chorus (~1:00): if that nice high note went up a step instead of walking off the plank I think it would work a lot better.

Love the tune. Good work on the vocals. I can tell it was a challenge.

thanks dude, a challenge performance-wise or mix-wise? it was both. lol. i'll have to listen to that note you're talking about. and yeah, it comes across differently on so many systems. I'm sure if i wasn't using SHD280's, it'd be much better. i need to upgrade to proper monitors. which pair of yours do you use the most for mixing?

thnx for listen and comments

it's a good effort...
got some mix issues tho

sounds pretty mid 90's pop rock influenced

i wouldn't worry about the 'level' of the song, unless you are trying to compete with pro releases,
in which case you should hire a mastering engineer

it's a good effort...
got some mix issues tho

sounds pretty mid 90's pop rock influenced

i wouldn't worry about the 'level' of the song, unless you are trying to compete with pro releases,
in which case you should hire a mastering engineer

agree with all of the above... i'm open to suggestions on the "mix issues". this is the place to discuss them, and i'd like to hear em' if you wanna throw them out there.

thnx man

Def M-Audio M3-8s. These things are absolutely amazing.

I use 380pros for tracking (Sennheiser), and an old pair of $500 Denons that I use to listen (they're a bit colorful for accuracy, but they sure sound nice).

I liked the guitars. They sounded cool. Good parts too - supported the song well. Good singing as well.

I thought the vox were a bit far back in the mix - the guitars are covering them a bit.

The bass is pretty boomy. It's got a problem frequency somewhere around 100hz - 180hz or so. It's got another rumble problem lower - like 60hz-70hz.

The vocals are wetter than the rest of the tracks. I personally like things dryer.

Drums sound OK.

I REALLY liked the song. Guitars sound awesome. As others have said I would bring the vocals up a tad and compress a little more. Also the kick isnt cutting as much as Id like. Finally, something about the snare is bothering me. I dont know if its the inconsistent hits or the tone of it, but I noticed it right away. This is a great pop song. I dig it! Good job!!

I liked the guitars. They sounded cool. Good parts too - supported the song well. Good singing as well.

I thought the vox were a bit far back in the mix - the guitars are covering them a bit.

The bass is pretty boomy. It's got a problem frequency somewhere around 100hz - 180hz or so. It's got another rumble problem lower - like 60hz-70hz.

The vocals are wetter than the rest of the tracks. I personally like things dryer.

Drums sound OK.

Agree on the vox, maybe the boom from the bass is the root note C (well, B since 1/2 step down), though I didn't hear a boom on the three systems i listened to it on. i'm sure it's there though, and yes the vocals have more verb than the guitars - i should have backed off the mix% a bit. bad call.

thnx 3M!

I REALLY liked the song. Guitars sound awesome. As others have said I would bring the vocals up a tad and compress a little more. Also the kick isnt cutting as much as Id like. Finally, something about the snare is bothering me. I dont know if its the inconsistent hits or the tone of it, but I noticed it right away. This is a great pop song. I dig it! Good job!!

Not sure what it is about the snare..? it's funny because if i make them too consistent, i get called out on using SD - if i make them too different, i get called out again ;) really though, the hits all have velocities between 85-100%, and I'm only allowed to select every 3rd number anyway...so between those percentages, there are 6 options of snare intensities...i used those 6.

(i noted somewhere that some ppl are putting their intensities up to 120% - my DAW's midi editor allows 100% as max).

No probs w/ lepou stuff yet. i've been messing w/ it for about 2 weeks now. I'm trying to figure out when is a good time to use the other channel...i think the orange one. of course, "when it sounds good to" is a clever answer, but some of those knobs/switches were made for certain things. This is the "modern" mode on the lepou lecto you're hearing. I've been trying to connect w/ users of that amp for some hints and tips. I matched it up with Recabinet's "Oversize" cab model...that one is also based on Mesa Boogie..figured they would sit well together.

what cabinets are you using with your amps?

I don't remember which cabs. I'm using the hybrit into lecab2, with some massive impulse pack I found somewhere. It's the lecab that crashes. Looking at his site, it seems that this is not an uncommon problem. :(

I've been using the lepou/ignite sims with NadIR for months and it hasn't crashed so far.

I've been using the lepou/ignite sims with NadIR for months and it hasn't crashed so far.

Ooh! Native 64-bit support! I'll check it out, thanks!

Also, apologies to OP for derailing your thread! There's probably a "best free amp/cab sim plugins" thread somewhere else we could have comandeered.

Ooh! Native 64-bit support! I'll check it out, thanks!

Also, apologies to OP for derailing your thread! There's probably a "best free amp/cab sim plugins" thread somewhere else we could have comandeered.

no worries... I might not have found it - and I need this info as well. :thumbs up:

Nice job. Depending on what you are expecting from the mix or the genre, the vocals could be upfront a tad more. But many mixes I've heard over the years have the vocal sitting back a tad depending on the genre. However, personally, I think your vocals are really good and would bring them up just a little. Also, I love those hooks....you know I love those hooks.

Nice job. Depending on what you are expecting from the mix or the genre, the vocals could be upfront a tad more. But many mixes I've heard over the years have the vocal sitting back a tad depending on the genre. However, personally, I think your vocals are really good and would bring them up just a little. Also, I love those hooks....you know I love those hooks.

I agree...they should be up a bit/compressed a little more. And thanks! The hook is the most important aspect in my book. Appreciate it!

---------- Update ----------

man, don't beat yourself up. damn good song.

Thanks!

I like good pop music. Great vocal.

I don't know if you've remixed it, but I don't think the vocal needs to be louder. Yeah, it's a bit indistinct, but that's maybe more of a performance issue, and there's really nothing wrong with it. That's what lyric sheets are for.

But if you wanted to make the vocals more distinct, I'd do it with EQ or possibly some kind of exciter before I'd turn the level up. You don't want to fuck with the balance, which I think is good.

I like good pop music. Great vocal.

I don't know if you've remixed it, but I don't think the vocal needs to be louder. Yeah, it's a bit indistinct, but that's maybe more of a performance issue, and there's really nothing wrong with it. That's what lyric sheets are for.

But if you wanted to make the vocals more distinct, I'd do it with EQ or possibly some kind of exciter before I'd turn the level up. You don't want to fuck with the balance, which I think is good.

Thanks for the interesting take and recommendation. No I didn't remix, it's the same one. I don't believe I have an exciter in my pitiful arsenal - any good free ones youd recommend? Been wanting to try it out.

Thanks for the interesting take and recommendation. No I didn't remix, it's the same one. I don't believe I have an exciter in my pitiful arsenal - any good free ones youd recommend? Been wanting to try it out.

I don't know of any free ones that I could recommend. If you get one, though, be super careful with it. It can help a snare pop a bit, and maybe a vocal...people get carried away and start "exciting" everything or (God Forbid) mastering with them to unpleasant degrees.

You made a really nice recording.

I don't know of any free ones that I could recommend. If you get one, though, be super careful with it. It can help a snare pop a bit, and maybe a vocal...people get carried away and start "exciting" everything or (God Forbid) mastering with them to unpleasant degrees.

You made a really nice recording.

Thanks man, I'll google around...I'd like to hear it on my vox. ?

Back