Having fun with some Rush....

queepy

aka Variaxman
...this is a recording from our last practice....we have been messing around with covering Rush's "Working Man"...kinda a guitar wankfest, but it was a lot of fun!.This is definitely a few beers into the night sooo....
Everything is recorded on a single stereo room mic into a minidisk.Its raw, but I like it like that!

Working Man -Streaming

Working Man - Download

There is a bunch more from the last couple of jams we've had ..even a cover of a song from this century :p (QOTSA)if ya wanna check 'em...there all at the top of my page...as always ...all comments/critiques welcomed!
My Music Page

Sound like fun to me... :D

I like it. For a live recording, it's not bad at all. The playing sounds pretty decent also. I'd drink some beers and watch you guys play...that would be a blast. :cool:

Dogman said:
Sound like fun to me... :D

I like it. For a live recording, it's not bad at all. The playing sounds pretty decent also. I'd drink some beers and watch you guys play...that would be a blast. :cool:

Thanks Dogman...wish ya lived 'round here...be cool to slam a few and have ya jam with us!

Greg_L said:
Haha. Pretty damn cool. Definitely one of my favorite Rush songs. Pretty damn good job playing it too. :)

Thanks alot man...I thinkwe are gonna work that one into our set if the scene/gig is right ;) !

variaxman said:
Thanks alot man...I thinkwe are gonna work that one into our set if the scene/gig is right ;) !
Shit, I'd play it anyway. If the crowd doesn't dig it, then they're stupid. ;)

Windows media player won't play the download track :confused: Anyway the tune rocks man, great guitar tone and raw rocking feel. Damn, I'd love to watch you guys play sometime... maybe if I head back to Chicago sometime I won't be too far :D You playing leads on that too? Very nice ;)

SnakeDog5050 said:
Windows media player won't play the download track :confused: Anyway the tune rocks man, great guitar tone and raw rocking feel. Damn, I'd love to watch you guys play sometime... maybe if I head back to Chicago sometime I won't be too far :D You playing leads on that too? Very nice ;)

Hey Snake...not sure why the download won't work...I use winamp, seems to work ok on that....Thanks for the props on the guitar tone... my chain was Gibson Firebird Studio>Podxtlive>Line6 flextone III (XLR outs to PA).
I'm about 4 1/2 hrs from Chicago....would be cool to hangout sometime!!
Thanks again!

zed32 said:
wow haha this tune has great balance for being a live stereo room recording. nice work.

Thanks! Yeah,those Minidisk recorders can't be beat for getting a fast easy recording of a practice/gig....
Thanks for checking it out!

Freewill is another good Rush song with high-energy for live shows.

If you want to get slightly more obscure and carry a message with the song, I recommend Dreamline (from Roll the Bones 1991). Very high energy, introspective song with excellent builts and tension musically. Even if only a small percentage of the audience recognize it, they'll still dig it as it's one of Rush's best crafted and most accessible songs.

IMO, Working Man gets covered a lot because it's from the pre-Peart Rush catalogue. Hence it doesn't have that driving drum work that requires a player with some serious chops. It's a cop out for those doing a Rush cover.

Pinky said:
Freewill is another good Rush song with high-energy for live shows.

If you want to get slightly more obscure and carry a message with the song, I recommend Dreamline (from Roll the Bones 1991). Very high energy, introspective song with excellent builts and tension musically. Even if only a small percentage of the audience recognize it, they'll still dig it as it's one of Rush's best crafted and most accessible songs.

IMO, Working Man gets covered a lot because it's from the pre-Peart Rush catalogue. Hence it doesn't have that driving drum work that requires a player with some serious chops. It's a cop out for those doing a Rush cover.

Freewill is one of my fav Rush tunes...we actually play "The Trees" and "Limelight" also which are a bit more complicated....currently, I am learning "Circumstances".....I agree about Dreamline, although I'm really not that big a Fan of the band's sound and specifically Alex's guitar sound/tone since probably the "Signals" album....that is a good one though from there "later" output.
I think the reason we like to play "Working Man" is it was such a big song growing up for us...I remember so many nights partying and listening to "All The Worlds A Stage" and the live version of the tune...it's just a fun song to jam on and people really react...I know it's not the most complicated song but were just doing this for fun , we are kinda a "Meat and Potatoes" ;) type band anyways as you can tell...not much flash..just 3 guys having fun playing the songs we loved growing up.
Thanks for listening and the feedback...I appreciate it!

Last edited:
Great playing and recording, this will go over well in a live gig. Great way to begin my Monday morning.... :D

Cool! :cool: Nice and fun. The singer has some big shoes to fill :D Me likey a lot :)

-DavidK, worlds biggest RUSH fan.

Great guitar tone man...

On the S-click player there was a logo "SRC" Is that you guys or a popup from S-click??? I'm curious because there used to be a band in Michigan by that name>

Thanx
chazba

Actually its "SRG" ...Steve, Rob Gene....we usually make up a new name for everey gig as we are not that serious....we have gone by the names Cod NUggets, Thunderchickens,Tunacocks,Das Pimpling,Gut Pump...and others....you probably haven't heard of us as we don't get out much..... :o
Thanks alot for the props on the guitar sound....appreciate it!

Hey, Vam

I'm kind of ADD, and I often have a hard time concentrating, so I bought one of those mood CDs at Target designed to help you concentrate. (part of it works, part of it puts me to sleep, so I skip that part.)

Anyway, just thought I'd let you know that I accidentally found that looping 'Toejam Soup' actually helps. I don't know what it is, but it works.

You may have another market for your music. :D

Back