Have a listen to this track if you would be so kind

McButtsky

I recorded this band mid summer and am just wondering what you think to the overall production and sound. My personal opinion is that the toms are a bit dodgy in the clean section's but i couldn't edit them cos i have no editing software, there's one tom that sounds much flater than the others plus the performance was a bit fast slow fast slow, but like i said i couldnt pull them into time cos i dont have the equiptment. but anyway, let me know what u think.

www.closure-music.co.uk under the sounds section, just right click and save target as

Cheer's.

Ok then i'll start. Some of the tom sections should have been chased up here and there, but i was getting too much cymbal bleed through and they started getting too noisy. And the first heavy guitar section sounds too Buzzy because the fool of a guitar player insisted on having a guitar track of his disgusting Hyper Fuzz pedal on the song even though i tried as hard as possible to get him to let my 5150II do the work. So there's a left and right track of lovely 5150 grunt and one sickening track of his retched Hyper Fuzz pedal up the middle. i managed to chase it back and hide it a bit more as the song went on but i'd rather it wasnt there at all!. Now you go.

listening on my computer speakers

it sounds like you did a pretty good job tracking.
Mix wise, the drums seem to get buried during the heavier sections. I would also process the toms with a little reverb if it were me. Actually it sounds like the guitars are masking everything during the heavier sections.
I like all different styles of metal but this song was a little repetitive. Especially the vocals.

Nicely recorded drums. Pretty good playing too.

In the intro I thought the drums were a little too loud. The guits and vox were having trouble being heard.

During the "intense" sections, there seemed to be a little too much energy in the upper mids and highs.

Trip..

TripleM said:
Nicely recorded drums. Pretty good playing too.

In the intro I thought the drums were a little too loud. The guits and vox were having trouble being heard.

During the "intense" sections, there seemed to be a little too much energy in the upper mids and highs.

Trip..

Cheers for your comments, i think your right about the clean sections, the guitar is a bit lost, the vox i was worried about when i mixed but the band wanted it to be in the background so what could i do?. With regard to too much energy in the high mids and top end what aspect in particular is sounding the harshest, is it the guitar or the cymbals or the overal mix EQ?.

McButtsky said:
With regard to too much energy in the high mids and top end what aspect in particular is sounding the harshest, is it the guitar or the cymbals or the overal mix EQ?.

Mostly the guitars. Maybe the cymbals too, but to a much lesser extent. Keep in mind that all of this is just my opinion.

Yeh but i thought the same thing. the buzzyness of the guitars is down to that retarded hyper Fuzz track up the middle. Sounded f*cking terrible but the guy just wouldnt have it. The 5150 tone i had was fine, all the chug and depth but without sounding like a tribe of angry wasps in a jar.

Back