Have a listen - please

dogicallove,
You should investigate a site that streams your work that way I wouldn't have to type stuff about nothing whilst waiting for the music to start also one that'll give some time coding so that a comment can be time or measure specific.
Nice beginning. The arpegg's on the guitar get lost VERY quickly in the mix. There's not enough distinction between the guitar & piano - perhaps some panning away from each other or EQ carving.
The vocals are nice though feel a bit odd in h/phones due to the panning.
The percussion is well done & the ending too.
Could you post the lyrics?
Good work thus far.
Who does what, writer etc etc please!

By no means does it "suck". It does, however, have some serious problems from a production standpoint (the playing is good IMO).

The acoustic guitar lacks definition/crispness, which may be a result of the mic used. I use a solo instrument condensor mic, and it makes a big difference.

There's some hiss that isn't too noticeable when there's music, but at the beginning and end it's easily heard. Most music editting software will allow you to fade in/out so you notice the hiss less when that less-than-perfectly-recorded and noisy track starts and ends.

The vocals suffer a similar fate as the acoustic (same mic?). The separation between the piano, vocals, and guitar could be better. Often I use equalization and some panning techniques to allow each instrument their place in the sound field. This is mostly knowledge gained from trial and lots of error.

Lyrically I had to pretty much ignore the 'message'. Ned Flanders would probably dig it though :).

Slow download.......

...... ;)

The song is fine, piano is nice. My main nit would be the vocals, they are fuzzy, too wet and not loud enough. Also, the interlude stuff is too much for my tastes. You dont need it, the song works on its own without instrumental breaks that are long. It also needs a b section, it never comes out of the main part. Its good. Some reworking will make it very good. :)

Sorry about the slow download - I'll investigate rayc's suggestions on that.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. Looks like I have a lot of recording basics to cover to get a good recording. I'm going to start with your suggestions Pinky & Rayc - by using panning to separate the guitar and piano and buy a condenser for solo instrument mic.

I agree with you DavidK - the vocals do need work - I recorded so many different vocal tracks trying different things hoping one or 2 would be good for the end recording and then just settled for what I had after 2 weeks of trying. I don't have a vocal booth of any type - I'm not sure how important one would be. And yes, too much is instrumental - the guitar lead part was originally a bridge but I never had lyrics - maybe one day.

Pinky - Ned might like this one but most of my other lyrics would have him screaming blasphamy :)

RayC - Here are the lyrics and misc info:

I wrote the music and lyrics and played all instruments and vocals - Roland MP-60, Martin 6 string, Audioi Tech ATM-41A dynamic mic on guitar, Behringer B-1 on vocals, Tascam 788 and Cool Edit Pro.

Artist: Bill Sears
Collection: Creation

Title: Let it go

Oh Lord, I fear I'm drowning
Holy spirit come to me
I'm a child in rising water
I'm a man down on his knees
We said please Lord
Please

A fire like hell surrounds me
I know I can't douse the flames
Once beyond this scorched horizon
I'll be far beyond insane
Kill the pain Lord
Kill the pain

The Screams grow faint and distant
Someone I deny I know
It's been crying much too long now
It's been dying much too slow
Let it go Lord
Let it go

© william a sears 2006

i too thought the lead vocals were a bit wet. i think the drums could be taken out completely. or they could use a full beat with a kick and snare. i would prefer real drums with brushes though, sticks may make it too 80's..but that may be what you're shooting for.

well done though. i thought a few harmonies could make a nice texture change, though. or maybe introduce the acoustic only from the instrumental section and on.

cello,

Thanks.

I did have a harmony track but I left it out of the mix. It was strange - it sounded OK in the mix, but when I listened to the harmony vocal alone, it sounded terrible - not just weird because it's a harmony, but weak sounding - almost a whimper - anyway, gotta work on that again.

The only drums I like in the song are when the tom toms come in at the middle and end - I'm going to try a mix with them out in the beginning.

I like the acoustic rhythm at tthe beginning of each verse - maybe the arpeggio could be saved for later - (making it distinct too from earlier suggestions). I'll try it.

Thanks again - I've gotten some really good feedback so far

I think as far as wrting is concerned it could be a very nice tune. However....The acoustic gtr sounds a bit odd to me, the strumming. Loose the double track lead. In general the feel is nice. Keep working on it, it DOES NOT SUCK. I listen more content of song than quality of recording. :)
Jim

Thanks jmorris - that strumming was intended as percussion but I don't think I ever got what I wanted - I think I may replace it with drums or nothing.

I agree the steel string gets lost in the mix a little especially half way through where the texture is a little thicker. Sounds like a little too much effect on the guitar. Maybe that's just a taste thing but whatever effect you are using is taking something away from the sound of the guitar.

I think the keys at times are barely hanging on and miss on the timing ever so slightly. They sound like they are falling behind. They sound much better after the tom fill, but when its just the brush on the cymbal keeping time, to me it sounds like the timing is a little bit messy.

I also agree that the the guitar is a little lost in the mix. Try to bring up the guitar and bring down the keys just slightly. I think that when the guitar and vocals come in that the keys should take a little bit of a back seat or atleast a less intrusive seating in the mix. use some panning to open up the mix a little. It sounds like everything is fighting for attention. ( I am listening with headphones so its hard to hear if there is a lot of panning going on, so I could be wrong ). That lead acoustic with the chorus that comes in is definately panned, and as a result stands out a lot more. ( although maybe panned a little too much. )

The vocals are EXTREMELY wet, but they don't sound bad, if thats the sound you are going for. I think if you toned it down just a little and gave it a little more natural of a sound it would really make a difference.

Over all I dig it. Its a good song, I would just watch the timing, mainly in the beginning, remix it slightly, and cut back on the vocal effect just enough.

Just my own two cents. Good luck and keep on keepin on. :) and if you tweak it, feel free to post a remix so that we can help you out some more.

Back