Hauntings Of A Christmas Past.............Listen

Christmas songs already? And it's not even Halloween just yet. :)

I came up with a new song for the Holiday Season. It started out with this sentiment:

"The feeling of a brisk, cold snowy Carolina Winter; Bright lights and gifts under the tree;
Families sharing joy segue-Loved ones lost and missed; a wound yet unhealed, a world
changed, a heart hardened. Segue; a flickering candle, a glimmer of hope, a love of life and a
desire to transcend the Ghost Of Christmas Past. A somewhat autobiographical tribute to my
memories of Christmas and the hopes of better days to come for us all"

There just seems to be so much going on in the world today and all at a break-neck speed spiraling to only God knows where and I guess I was just introspectively thinking about the holidays, how it affects all of us so differently and I came up with tone poem with a few of my friends. (My Strat, My XP, My ESQ-1 , this Line6 thingy I just bought and a few assorted processors) and this is what I came up with. Please take a listen. Yes this is a call out to the usual suspects here at the forum and all the new guys chime in too. This one had no commercial designs in mind. Just my free thoughts and hopes that it may warm your spirits as the Holidays approach. Let me know what you think; musically as well as technically (the recording end of this). Here's the Link:

www.soundclick.com/bands/2/musicallymrmmusic.htm

I need feedback................makes my hair grow! lol

Very nice instrumental. The clean guitar leads were very nicely done. Mix wise didn't have any issues. This gave me a nice relaxed feel, kinda easy listening style.

I didn't necessarily feel the Christmas angle overall, perhaps what you were thinking when you wrote it or maybe vocals will add the Christmas touch, but i think if you leave it as is, you'll have a year round tune.

Very nice

I get the seasonal feel from this - the high bells - sure don't hear them in the middle of July.

Technically I'd widen this out a bit. There's a lot going on in the middle of the field. Suprisingly there aren't any real nasty EQ issues. But the keys and strings get jumbled together a bit. You could do some nice spreading across the field with all the instruments you have here - almost an orchestral physical arrangement The fingerpicked guitar is a bit on the bright side - no natural resonance. A little too plucky souding in dramatic contrast to the other smooth sounding instruments.

Musically it's just downright pretty! The electric lead is played very nicely - lots of feeling and clean fingerwork. I like the chord changes - they flow very well together.

All 'round nice piece 'o music!! I like it a lot. Very nice work!!
~Milan

I love it.It has sorta of a celtic vibe to it..IMHO,the feeling and mood of the song would be brought across a whole lot stronger if the song was played with pure celtic instrumentation.Im a christmas music addict so I could definetly feel the christmas vibe in this one.

Thanks so much for the the truthful commentary. I am a fan of Chip Davis (Mannheim Steamroller) and I love celtic music in general. I was looking for that kind of vibe in this juxtaposed with a contemporary, bluest guitar melody. There is actually a underlying melody there from a 12th century chant, "Veni, Veni". This one is kind of moody-like a lot of christmas I've spent. One listener said it sounded very "introspective". That would be really close to what I was looking for.

You remarks are very very helpful. Keep em coming and thanks for the listen. :)

Thanks so much for the the truthful commentary. I am a fan of Chip Davis (Mannheim Steamroller) and I love celtic music in general. I was looking for that kind of vibe in this juxtaposed with a contemporary, bluest guitar melody. There is actually a underlying melody there from a 12th century chant, "Veni, Veni". This one is kind of moody-like a lot of christmas I've spent. One listener said it sounded very "introspective". That would be really close to what I was looking for.

You remarks are very very helpful. Keep em coming and thanks for the listen. :)

Back