Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hate the Game

Thanks

Hate the Game

Sign in to disable this ad
    Well, I'm back to recording on my own without the help of Tanacea and his sweet studio. (I've got a lot more time for this hobby than he does what with the lack of wife and kids. (Sucker!))

So here's another song I did.

Hate the Game

It's not hip-hoppy in any way at all. That's a completely misleading title.

Is the lead guitar too loud? Are the vocals too quiet?
    How are the drums?

Thanks
    Sorry Steve, but I hear absolutely no low end whatsoever. This might be one of those things where you need to consider the room you're mixing in. If it isn't treated, you should put some thought into doing so.

The snare is right out in front and not balanced with the rest of the drum kit. The keyboard is also prominent and not blending. Vocals are buried a bit.

I like the song, though, I see where you're going with it. I think the performance is there too.

cheers,

Thanks
    Chili's right about the missing low end. This songs like I would hear a song on AM. Kind of cool.

Thanks
    I see what you guys mean about not enough low-end. I probably mixed the rhythm guitars and the bassier of my bass tracks too low to avoid mud. I'll touch it up tomorrow evening.

I actually rent an aparment, so properly treating a room isn't feasible. Any recommendations on decent kludge treatments? (My bed and piles of laundry absorb sound, so that's good, right?)

Chili, they keyboard's too loud? I thought the keyboard was actually pretty quiet.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by VomitHatSteve View Post
    I see what you guys mean about not enough low-end. I probably mixed the rhythm guitars and the bassier of my bass tracks too low to avoid mud. I'll touch it up tomorrow evening.

I actually rent an aparment, so properly treating a room isn't feasible. Any recommendations on decent kludge treatments? (My bed and piles of laundry absorb sound, so that's good, right?)

Chili, they keyboard's too loud? I thought the keyboard was actually pretty quiet.
    You can use OC703, cover them in fabric and then just use push pins to hold them on the wall. When you eventually vacate the apartment, pull them down, spackle the pin holes, you're done. Take the panels to your next dwelling. OC703 is a very cost effective solution for room treatment.

Until you get to that point, lots of comparison listening with commercial releases similar to your style.

i thought there were some places where the keyboard stood out.
    Listening again, I still hear it on top of everything else, but not always.

Thanks
    +1 for vocals too quiet, snare too loud, and not enough low end.

Thanks
    I think this could sound great with a remix. I'd start with

increase volume way up on vox.
    increase volume titch on back guitars
    maybe pan some of those guitars more
    more low end eq wise
    bring up some of those back up vox

Just my unprofessional thoughts....

Thanks
    A truly original effort just as I've come to expect. I think this is a cool tune and well arranged and everything, but the mix seems pretty odd to me.

I just read through the comments and pretty much agree with what has been said.

- vocals could be much louder
    - snare is cool and should be featured heavily, but still too loud as is
    - too mid-rangey and lacking in low end generally
    - keyboard is too loud at least in first half of song

I like the tune...it's very fun and original. Just adjust some levels and give the whole thing some kind of scooped treatment and I bet it would sound way better.

Thanks
    OK. New version is up.

Old version for comparison.

Changes:
    Lead vocals are louder.
    50 Hz High-pass filters removed from rhythm guitars.
    Lead guitar (which I think you guys have been calling a keyboard?) turned way down. (The "keyboard" is actually the organ-y sounding thing slightly on the left side.)
    Bass guitar turned up and given a boost around the 50Hz range.
    Normal snare drum turned down.
    Normal drum machine turned down. Distorted drum machine turned up (unfortunately, I don't really have fine-grain control over the individual hits there since it's randomized.)

Thanks for all your input!

Thanks
    This is not good man. The mix is a mess. I don't even know where to begin. It's just a mash of noise. Sorry.

You need to decide on what kind of mix you want to make. Do you want shiny and polished? Or do you want dirty and lo-fi? Something in the middle? First and foremost, you have to have a good mixing environment and good monitors - or at least monitors that you are intimately experienced with. After that, I think a decent mix starts with the drums. If you have good, usable drum tracks, the rest almost takes care of itself. Even in old DIY punk recordings, you could hear the drums pretty clearly. Start with that. Make sure you can hear everything with the drums, and don't let anything else in the mix interfere with the kick and snare. Then, make sure you're tracking a good bass sound. Don't try to fix everything in the mix. It gets beaten to death in here, but you really do have to start with good source sounds. Good drums + good bass = great start. With a clear kick/bass relationship, the rest of the mix is simple. Drop in guitars and keys and vocals and whatever else you want to add. Just don't fuck up the kick/bass relationship.

That last mix you did with the Tanacea person was good. Consider the differences between that mix and this mix, and go from there.

Thread Information