This Has To Ship Monday!!!!

Jamal Bucket

....so i sent these tracks to chris cause i posess no mixing skills or a desire to aquire them..and he has a way better handle on this than i do.. hopefully he didnt muck it up too much with his"gayness"...well you tell me.....

and chad (participant)..was cool enough to send me a wicked drum track..chris used mp3's for the drums for this test since I just got the CD from PartyPants...lmao...DON'T WORRY CHAD, THE .WAV FILES WILL BE IN TEXAS TODAY!! (thanx for the FedEx, btw)

....and guernica offered to do the bass..so this bass track tht chris did will be replaced when i get his...*AHEM* - DONE YET?

so...i posted a rough version of this but it sucked and this is WAAAAY better...LOL.

Please hlep. :D

http://www.nowhereradio.com/mynewhead/singles

LAST HURRAH...

THANKS
jamal

Last edited:
There is a very strange phased quality to the vocal.......... excessive sibilance too - sounds like significant overuse of EQ....

Drums are buried in the mix....

Bass is mushy-sounding - needs more definition.....

Guitar solo needs to come out more - and fix the timing mistakes and bum notes.....

The second vocal during the chorus sticks out kind of strangely - you can do better blending it with the main vocal.

Other than that, not too bad.....!

Killer tune. Very good. The vocal is sibalant. If you can, de-ess it. The lead needs to come up a little. Outstanding backing vox my friend. Other than that it sounds great to me.

heya--I like the arrangement changes you've made to this-Nice piano during the second verse-Real good tune and strong vocal performance.
As far as the mix-I heard a few things that bothered me-It sounds like the opening vocal is chorused-kind of taking the natural high end off the voice--The vocal seems to drop in volume when the music kicks in-you might wanna ride it some--The guitar riff is kinda low when it first starts...Is that chorus on the drums-the high end sounds funky-when i cranked up the high eq on my player-the sound came to life a bit-but the vocs-were kinda sibilant. I like the talking bits at the end-I could hear em both but couldnt understand either lol-but I like that-drew me into the mix--That key part during the second verse is a cool part but the sound is kinda muffled and its mixed a touch too loud-I like when you hit that low note "E" maybe? that contrasts with the key part-I would work that into a part of its own. Hmm the guitar solo...I like the way it starts and the harmony sections-but the fast bits-sounda kinda wanka wanka to me...Some of the background vocals seem to be sticking out in places.
I know that sounds like alot-but I listened to this for an hour and took notes etc. 'cause I really like the tune.

Who gets a big hurah? Jamal does! Jamal gets a big hurah! Let's have everybody give Jamal a big hurah! HURAH! HURAH!!!

Kick ass job, J.B. I even dig C.H.'s drum track. Very nice cymbal swells. The piano is a great touch. Maybe a little more definition? I love that scream right before the guitar solo. That was most excellent kick ass. And before I retire, let's give one last HURAH!!!!

First off, forget the music for a second. You are one of my favorite writers on this forum and I always look forward to your work. As usual you did not disappoint me. How many guitar tracks are on here because I like the layered sound you got going. I liked the effect on the intro vocals contrary to what others have said...does that mean I dont know what the hell I am talking about??? This thing would SELL!!! The only problem is radio is so F****d up right now that it is brainwashing the youth into believing that you dont need to have any musical talent to be BIG.

Great job on the second version of this tune man.Did you mix this or Chris?The mix is a million times better than the first mix.It was a good song right out of the gate but now it's taking shape into a good recording.The background vocal work is KILLER!

You've came a long way since the first mix of this tune.It's becoming a really good tune and recording.You write some excellent hooks in your tunes.

Good job jamal.

Nice tunage....I think the Bear covered all the mixing points.
I like the vocals...the way they build on each other....very cool. It does need some work on the mix though..Chris? CHRIS? :D

Hey guys...I'm gonna' respond here for 2 reasons:

1. You guys are being VERY helpful right now, and I'm in the middle of trying to put this together, so it's appreciated; and

2. I may actually be Jamal.

No, I'm not. Before I respond to each of you, I HAVE to post these very short clips of some of JB's bg vox of this session. I know Jamal and I rib each other a lot (because he's gay), but don't let him fool you into thinking he's a slacker, because this first clip HAD to hurt more than I'm willing to suffer for MY music. Props to a guy who can do this and still walk...

JAMAL DEATH SCREAM - Under :10 seconds
www.nowhereradio.com/honestmango/singles

Also, for all of you praising the vocals on this, I want you to know what I'm dealing with...LOL. Listen to the other snippet called

Cleeeeean Jamal Vocal - Also short. - I'm starting to think I'm a GENIUS from some of the compliments. How the hell would YOU mix that???

Okay...I'm gonna' be back in a bit to respond to your earlier comments and ask some questions if you guys have time. Time is short on this one, and I, for one, really appreciate the help.

BBL,
Chris

i haven't listened to this version yet, But i have officially pissed in my pant's!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!!

i will clean up and return! chris, your a bad boy!:eek: :D

fenderlikingood said:
i haven't listened to this version yet, But i have officially pissed in my pant's!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!!

i will clean up and return! chris, your a bad boy!:eek: :D
LOL...Hey Rick. If you're talking about those clips, I swear to God they're real. That second one is actually IN the mix...

Now, if I'm bad for posting them...LMAO, well, Jamal owes me after sending me that shi.... nevermind.

:D
:D

Gimme' detail if you get a chance to listen and notice anything else. Thanks, man.

First, im not clear on who's doing what in this version??

Chris mixed this??

These are not chad's drum's??

there is another version to come with a new drum track, and mixed by chris? and the solo is chris??

The final version will have....jamal ...git's, vox. guernica bass, chad's drum's, chris's solo, and chis is to mix it??

So this version is just a prelude to the final?? sorry guy's, i'm just trying to understand beacuase this a real cool collab!!!

The difference from the first version to this, is HUGE!!! I don't have anyhting to add:rolleyes: I agree about the piano needing to be more "defined", and i can't understand the spoken word's at the end. bass coud could use more "definition", i'm grasping at straw's here.:D this a cool song!! I'm really looking forward to hearing the final mix!! ?????

lol..yeah Chris, i thought you had added all that distortion to the "cleeeeeeeean" track, to fuck with Jamal ( hence the bad boy comment) :D

Ok, so you did mix this, how in the hell did u hide all of that distortion??? UNREAL!!! i can't even hear it IN THE mix!!
THAT TRUELY is some wizardry!!!!!! And what ever verb or effect you used on jamal's vox, really made them jump!!! I like to hear jamal nice and clear like this!!!!

IM done!:D the final is going to be a real treat!!

thank's guy's!

peace

Rick

Very interesting direction you've taken this arrangement in, Jamal... a lot more poppy... the vocal overdubs are nice. Very cool new arrangement...

The mp3 is really, really "swimmy"... I'm thinkin that in the verses the drums get a little too low... or maybe the arrangement should be more dynamic there? Just a tad quieter... (random thots)...

Would like the snare to stick out more in certain places... sounds a bit too "eq'ed"? Possibly... either that or it's just low in the mix.

During the choruses, it sounds fine.

I'm thinkin the same thing as Bruce on the vocals, esp in the opening... a little flange? Or something... sounds strange...

During the solo, there's some hissy, noisy thing going on in there... scratchy... hmmm...

But this is starting to sound much more like a "song"... than just a rough idea.

Cool job so far, jbsongboy & c to the h :)

Okay... after hearing the "Death Scream" :D I understand where the "swimmyness" of the mixed mp3 comes from...

The D.S. mp3 is only 64kbps, and it's swimmi-er... (swimmy-er? swimmer... ) swimier than hell.

The final mix will use all .wavs, correct?

The only thing other than that, and some level issues, was the noise in the solo part...

maybe i should have cleared this up better..lol....
ok i sent chris all the original tracks for the version that you all heard a few days ago.....chris is a bout 1000 times better at mixing and has the patience to actually do it...(the trick is finding a song that he actually likes )...seems to make the time go by quicker...lol...anyway....then chris added the bass part and did some of the back up vocals...

chad..(participant)...also sent me a drum track (that i asked for)..because as you have all heard his drums usually hit you square in the chest...now WHAT IS ON THIS VERSION IS CHADS DRUMS ONLY IN MP3 FORMAT strictly as a consideration towards time...he fed exed the c.d.to me (which i forwarded to chris)..but in the meantime he alos posted the tracks in mp3 so i could get started.....hopefully that all made sense....

guernica also offered to lay a bass track as well but he was waiting to see what the drums would sound like so he could get the feel for the song....so when he is done ill replace this bass track with whatever magical hocus pocus he comes up with..

ok whew...evryone still with me...?...the common thread here in all this is i am EXTREMELY LAZY.....(as well as pressed for time all of a sudden)......that said..

blue bear:.lol..ok all you said was noted and in the process of being fixed i heard the sibilance too but i have obnly heard this in mp3 format so i thought it might be from that ....i have no idea about the "wrong" notes in the solo i didnt hear any???....lol..thanks..

track rat:..thanks man your opinion means alot to me...specially after i saw your "metal god" pic in the cave....d-essing coming up....im glad you dug it.

stratomaster:..heya--I like the arrangement changes you've made to this-Nice piano during the second verse-Real good tune and strong vocal performance." ...yep i (i say i i mean chris)..lol..tried to incorporate most of what you guys said the first time thru...seriously you all came up with great ideas...i dont know what to say about the solo other then i love it...but that is fine ..im sure i like lots of stuff you would hate ...lol..im weird....and the fact that you took the time to post in such a precise way..man thats great it makes it sooo much easier to understand people when they give specifics and not.."the vocal needs to be different"...lol....again thanks...and yeah the backups are still a mess..i think chris said at one point last night..(we were up till 3:00 am my time)...that there was a total of something like 22 tracks!!!!....

jr97:...the scream really??....lol i think chris left that in a s a joke...mostly cause he didnt think i could scream that high....ok well i could once....hehehe.....whenever i read your replies i ALWAYS have to get my wife to come read so she will beleive me that someone other then me likes some of this shit!!!!!....THANK YOU.

king elvis:...wow what a cool thing to say...i have said for a while that if someone with a set of balls who worked for a record company would spend a tiny bit of time in here..well you get the point..i myself have posted plenty of pop crap in here but slowly im finding my own voice...kinda ....man i cant tell you howmany times i have re-read your reply to make sure i got it right.....very cool and hurry up and post something..

kramer:..yep i took your advice and sent it on to someone who CAN mix ...all i do is frustrate myself ...and i have been thrilled with both songs chris has hepled me out on...thanks for checkin on the progress...its a huge leap from what i had to begin with to im happy !

tex road kill:....PERFECT thank you...i think its about 95% there and i still have a couple of days left......(fingers crossed)....lol..

lt.bob:...yeah i hear it more that it was pointed out (the sibilance thing"....it seems to not have such a "static" feel to it now like it has diff moods.....make sense??.....thank you sir.

bigus dickus:....TURN IT DOWN YOUR GONNA HURT YOUR EARS...LOL....sorry......lmao....thank you...ok ok the sibilance the sibilance....i GET IT..........

chris:....what a dick ..i cant beleive you posted that clip....nice....i am sooOOOOOO gonna doctor up some pics of you and post them.....hahahahaha....jerk.

fenderlikin good:...that was uh.....those werent.....real....i mean....i was just goofin off......(sweating)....yeah i did that TOTALLY as a joke....lol.......i cant beleive he posted that shit...lmao....hope i cleared up the confusion for you???..

and does anyone know how to make a crappy casio "piano" track more"defined".......?!??????????...it is really an ugly sound i though the lower the better...lol...

thanks again all you guys..

"eddie vedder does it better"
jamal.

hahahahhaha very funny!

ok, who's the joke on here??:D my god, chris, you made me use the word "wizardry" LMAO!!!!

fenderlikingood means "GULLIBLE", in chinese.

ya'll are killin me!!:D

Thank's for clearing that up, Jamal!

i'll just wander back to fantasy land. there's a pink elephant there that i've alway's wanted to fly.

haaaaaaaaaaa!!!

OKAY...I have 29 tracks open now on the other computer...I know, I know...HOW COULD THIS PILE OF S#@T POSSIBLY REQUIRE 29 TRACKS??? DO YOU HAVE TRACKS JUST FOR SIBILANCE??

So if there's anymore help available, bring it now.

Bruce Bear - so other than the vocals, guitars, drums, and bass, it's good to go, right? KICK ASS!!! - "Excessive EQ"; that's rich...I didn't even have time to cut the end off of the file properly, so the only thing I've done "excessively" thus far is SUCK. I'll just cop out and blame the mp3 :D :D. But seriously, thanks for the comments. Yeah, that "phasing" on the vocal...that'd be the phaser...LOL. I'm working on it. I'm working on all of it, actually. The only comment that surprised me was about the drums being buried. That's odd indeed. Anyway, I'd appreciate another listen tomorrow if you can, and tell me which vocal you were referring to in the chorus...there are 9 seperate vocal parts in the chorus; I think you're probably talking about the voice that sounds different - that'd be mine...(burying it with the drums now) :D

Track Rat - You're much easier...LOL. ONE DE-ESSER, COMING UP!!! Thanks for the ears.

Stratomaster - Man, that was a cool post. Lots of detail. You took notes listening...I took notes from you; LOL. Due to your detail, I've been able to do SOMETHING for just about every crit you had, except the weird high end on the drums...That, I think, was a result of making an MP3 out of MP3 drums. I got Chad's CD today, so hopefully it'll be fixed. Oddly, there was no chorus on the drums that you heard, but...hehehehe...there will be now. We'll see. Oh yeah...and QUIT BITCHING ABOUT THE SOLO ALREADY...LOL. I'm NOT re-doing it. BAHAhahaha... Seriously, Jamal told me what he wanted, and I tried, and he seems to like it...SO SHUT UP!!! :D :D :D (the truth is that I've always been able to just sorta' fake guitar solos live with speed and style :D, but my timing and taste is shit - it's my lot in life) - Anyway, I hope you can check out round 3 sometime tomorrow (or tonight), b/c the detail was superb.

Jr#97 - I'm all for patting JB on the back. This is a cool song, despite my efforts...LOL. Oh, and if you could HEAR that "piano" track,...heehehe...wheeew. I think Jamal would agree that we don't wanna' "define" it any better...LOL. Actually, as is, it kinda' reminds me of that old, out of tune "Bad Company" sound that I just happen to love. Who knew that they played a $35 Casio children's toy?????

King Elvis - Jamal will talk to you...LOL. Take care.

Kramer - Yeah, that's me screwing it up...LOL. I'm also playing Bass, a little guitar, and singing all the crappy parts that don't blend. The drums (which freakin' rock, btw) are from PartyPants. I'm actually very stoked that you noticed a POSITIVE difference from the first go-around. Stay tuned brother. :D

Tex - See, THAT'S WHAT I THINK?!?!?! LOL... It'll get better, I hope.

Lt.Bob - What...WHAT?!?!?!? Are you yelling at ME TO GET BUSY?? I seem to remember a drunken boast about you having a RECORDING of you and your daughter's band that you just couldn't WAIT to post. Yeah, you probably don't even HAVE a daughter. And who WAS that in the pic you posted b/c she was really attractive, but I mean that in a "friendship" way and not in a sleazy way like I'd think about her if she WASN'T your daughter...please tell me she's not your daughter...please?

Bigus - C'mon...KILLING YOU???? Take the damned "Rock" preset off...you'll live longer. Okay, okay...I'm de-essing it. Thanks for the help.

Fenderlikingood - Dude, you figured the soap opera out pretty well...but just in case there are still questions, I'm posting more at the bottom of this...Thanks, buddy.

NOW FOR MY QUESTIONS:
*Is anybody listening to this really REALLY loud? I think the level on the (muddy) bass is too hot, but it sounds SOOooo cool with that Kick drum, that I'm trying to EQ around it. Is the level on the bass okay?

*Who agrees the drums are "buried?"

*Is there anything wrong with rolling off the lows on the distorted gits like I do with acoustics so that I can turn them up LOUD?

*Is Guernica gonna' play bass on this? God, I and everybody who has heard me play bass sure hope so. :D :D

*Have you listened to the bg vox I posted a link to above? OMG, that's funny. (they're real, though).

Don't bother telling Jamal how kickass the tune is...just help me fix it in the next 24 please. THANKS!

THE "NOBODY'S STILL READING THIS" SECTION OF THE POST
Here's the deal on the tune. I fell in love with it pretty quickly after Jamal let me hear it. Jamal asked if I wanted to do some guit work on it, so I sent him the solo TOTALLY AS A JOKE. No, that's not true. I actually tried...LOL. When Jamal posted the first version of the tune, Guernica offered to play bass, and (I think) Jamal begged Participant to do the drums.

Anyway...FOR REASONS THAT I WILL LET JAMAL EXPLAIN IF HE WANTS TO, he developed a rather urgent need to have a passable version of the tune done by Monday...(day after tomorrow). As it is right now, Jamal's playing all the gits except the solo, and Chad ("Participant") did the drums, which I just got on CD today, so hopefully they'll be better please help me I suck at mixing "rock"....thanks

Okay, here's a tip. Never START posting a reply right before dinner, and then finish the post an hour later without checking to see if some dumbass has already posted basically the same thing...LOL. THANKS, JAMAL. GOOD TO SEE YOU STILL REMEMBER THIS IS YOUR SONG. :D :D :D :D

WOW... Some of that is kinda' eerily similar, Jamal. Maybe we ARE the same person.

BUT YOU CAN STILL ANSWER MY QUESTIONS...just skip the other 55,000 words...rotflmao

Back