Happy Halloween - "The Raven"

Obi-Wan zenabI

YouTube w/pics:
John Spignesi Band | "Nameless (FULL EP) - YouTube
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Soundcloud:
The Raven by DoctorJ | Doctor J | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Just finished tracking a 5 song EP based on my adaptation of "The Raven" with my band. John Spignesi Band Here's the initial mix of the third track. Stick around for the guitar solo/jam that is the second half of the track...

Cubase 8.5; Vocals are Nady RSM4 and Blue Spark, and I left the Rode NT1A vocal scratch mic in because it turned out to be a great drum room mic. I manually edited it to sort of duck under the waveforms of the short vocal section. I guess I need to learn how to side chain properly, but ducking a drum room mic really works here -- I think I'll do it like pretty much always now.

I threw on a soft clipping as part of the stereo out mastering in addition to the usual stuff. It brought out the reverbs -- looking for advice on whether to pull the reverbs back now, or let it be halloweeny and spooky. Maybe that soft clipping insert overcomresses it. Not sure.

Last edited:
Hey, I like this a lot. Love the compressed drums. To me it sounds really unique, I wouldnt change it much, maybe add a little bit of saturation, I dont really know...It sounds fine to me the way it is. Congrats on the effort. Was all of this recorded live?

Hey, I like this a lot. Love the compressed drums. To me it sounds really unique, I wouldnt change it much, maybe add a little bit of saturation, I dont really know...It sounds fine to me the way it is. Congrats on the effort. Was all of this recorded live?

Thanks! Yes this was studio-live. I’m on bass. Scratch vocals were re-done, but I saved the scratch vocal take because it turned out to be an essential part of the drum sound. One section of an organ solo was re-done but that was pretty much just us, one take.

DoctorJ | Doctor J | Free Listening on SoundCloud

The rest of the project is here — with another go at the originally posted track. I also changed the name to “Nevermore”.

Bass drum was tamed and the bass brought up, and I think I may have deleted the other mix from SoundCloud. Sorry for breaking the link!

Liking the vibe on this a lot...First half has a Bad seeds edge to it...Cool sounding lyrics and interesting voice, some drama but not melodramatic. I like it a lot. Less keen on the muso half and would like to hear more lyrics and vocals but cool none the less.

Liking the vibe on this a lot...First half has a Bad seeds edge to it...Cool sounding lyrics and interesting voice, some drama but not melodramatic. I like it a lot. Less keen on the muso half and would like to hear more lyrics and vocals but cool none the less.
Thanks - the lyrics are a trimmed down version of Edgar Allan Poe's "The Raven" so I can only take credit for the editing down. I appreciate your take on the vocals/music balance. We are a jam band and in that scene here in New England, where the focus is often on long improvisational instrumental elements of songs and live performance. Working in a home studio allowed us to do that a bit more -- our studio stuff is more lyrics and verse/chorus based.

Thanks for the listen and the feedback! Track 4 "The Raven" comes back with the lyrics more... kind of a palate cleanser

Back