Happy 4 U

PDP

There once was a note
I was motivated to write this before the upcoming election :D Open for all comments.

Attachments

• Happy 4 U Mp3.mp3
    11.3 MB · Views: 30
Great production sound - takes me back to the 70's. A little YES. A little Supertramp. A little Starcastle..

Thats really well recorded and I like the song. A ton of hard panning but it works well and your vocal sounds great. Nice work.

Mark

Sounds good man. Overall lots of pleasant well-recorded sounds on here.

You've got the acoustic guitar and the piano panned 100%. I am wondering if the song would sound more together if you allowed them to be a bit less panned.

But it seems you are using this wideness to set things up later so maybe I am giving bad ideas. I do like the wideness of the mix.

At 1:32 the vocals cross over from nice and bright into a more sibilant very high frequency. Not sure if you'd like to mult that line and do some subtractive EQ way up high to identify the frequency (12K?).

Sounds good man. Overall lots of pleasant well-recorded sounds on here.

You've got the acoustic guitar and the piano panned 100%. I am wondering if the song would sound more together if you allowed them to be a bit less panned.

But it seems you are using this wideness to set things up later so maybe I am giving bad ideas. I do like the wideness of the mix.

At 1:32 the vocals cross over from nice and bright into a more sibilant very high frequency. Not sure if you'd like to mult that line and do some subtractive EQ way up high to identify the frequency (12K?).

Thanks man, those are very observant remarks. Both are useful and I will probably tweak the mix accordingly.

Sounds great PDP.
I thought the piano sounded cheesy at the onset, like why in this day and age not use the heaviest grand out there?
But as the tune progressed I realized it's not the focus of the song.
Love the kick drum sound and it locks tightly with the bass which is tasty as well.
The acoustic guitar ambience works well too with a sweet tone on that instrument.
Vocals are great as are the background vox.
I really like the chords and you know I am a fan of sus chords.
The dramatic ending works too.
I noticed the track is really hot and Audacity says it clips in places.
I couldn't really hear any clipping, but I played it back pretty low when I saw how hot it was.
So tell us the story if this song and it's recording. Eh?

Sounds great PDP.
I thought the piano sounded cheesy at the onset, like why in this day and age not use the heaviest grand out there?
But as the tune progressed I realized it's not the focus of the song.
Love the kick drum sound and it locks tightly with the bass which is tasty as well.
The acoustic guitar ambience works well too with a sweet tone on that instrument.
Vocals are great as are the background vox.
I really like the chords and you know I am a fan of sus chords.
The dramatic ending works too.
I noticed the track is really hot and Audacity says it clips in places.
I couldn't really hear any clipping, but I played it back pretty low when I saw how hot it was.
So tell us the story if this song and it's recording. Eh?

Thanks, The acoustic guitar is tuned to open Eb which is what gives it the sus chords in the Arrangement. My friend is a big fan of Richard Carpenter, Karen Carpenters brother who produced the Carpenters records. He taught me Richards style of vocal production. The Piano was added in after and reminded me of a simple Beatles type part to define the chord progression. The song is about how so many people even within their own families are arguing over the direction of the country right now, and how I'm happy either way things go. Thanks for listening Robert.

Overall, the performances are really good overall, and the tune is nice. The bass is doing some really cool things. My nits:

1. The piano does sound a bit cheesy to me. It's as if it can't decide whether it wants to be taken as a serious piano sound attempt or a quirky effect sound. If it were me, I would replace it with something else.
2. The acoustic guitar sounds as though it's REALLY being whacked to death. It just sounds a bit unmusical to me ... kind of clunky. The rest of the song (and the vocal) has this nice, fairly mellow vibe, but the acoustic sounds really heavy-handed. I don't know if it's the compression or the performance, but it was a bit fatiguing to listen to.

Other than that, it was nice. Thanks for sharing.

Back