Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Happier Times mix

Thanks

Happier Times mix

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hello Everybody,

Hope everybody is feeling good

Here a new song I've been working on for a while now and I'm starting to loose perspective.

I finally bought a jazz bass(fender squier) few weeks ago, so I'm still trying to get used too it. I plugged it straight to the interface and then Used Native instrument rig5 pluging for the tone. EQing and arrangement wise I'm not sure if it sounds ok Though.

The drums are the logic drummer and I haven't yet separate the elements worked on them yet, just a basic EQ/ compression, trying to save some CPU while working on the arrangements and tone for the guitar parts .

For the guitar parts same than the bass

For the vocals I have separate them(verse- mid verse and chorus)

Hoping to get some feedbacks and perspective on the tone, arrangement and mix parts.

Thanks a lot

Thanks
    I like this a lot. Glad you got a bass. It changes everything. Your guitars sound better with each new song I hear from you. In my opinion, the vocal and melody should be the focus that everything else supports in a song like this. I think the guitars are crowding your vocals in places. The vocal level also seems inconsistent--sufficiently loud in some places, too soft elsewhere. You might want to work on getting your vocal levels more consistent first. The rest of the mix should fall into place more easily then. I'll listen again later.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Robus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you Robus, I really appreciate your feedback, I agree with you on the vocals I find it difficult to level them up between each other and the mix,will definitely work on that. I'm really happy to hear there is an improvement on the guitars sound, I have been working on the tone and practice more for this song so it's good to hear that it has paid off. I probably over do the levels in some place I will look into it.

Thank you again

Thanks
    Hey Cookie, the song has an 80s vibe. I think it can benefit from reverb. It's kinda dry for the style.

The tone is a little thin, in general (e.g the guitar at the 1:50 mark...very thin and boxy). The rest of the guitars sound okay, but the lead guitars lack sustain, and the notes are very deliberately plucked at times without fluidity (e.g. outro solo). That feels very deliberate. Like you're watching your hands as you play. Maybe that's not the case and I don't mean to insult you, but that's how it sounds.

Agree the vocals are loud at times and sitting correctly at other times.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nola For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey there,

Listened earlier and again now. Agreed that it could be less dry. Agreed on the vocal level fluctuating a bit too much as well.

For me, the whole mix had a slightly unpleasant sizzle to it...a harshness if you will...I think it comes from the cymbals and vocals combined?

Lastly, there seems to be some errant rumble starting right at 1:48 that is distracting (for me anyway)...the bass guitar didn't seem too rumbly before, so I couldn't tell what that was, but it stood out on both listens.

That's all I've got...a good effort to be sure. I did like the dual soloing guitars when they were panned apart. I'm a sucker for that kind of thing.

Thanks
    Hi Nola,

I do watch watch my hand as I play , no offense taken though, I still need more practice , still difficult to maintain speed and ligato , and I have some difficulties with vibrato too so I just went to make the obvious more obvious, so it would sound a bit more intentional.

Regarding the thin guitar I'm not sure how to fix this, should I add some more mid/low end or double the tracks?

For the reverb I haven't yet worked on them properly, just used the preset in Rig5 for the guitars and a small amount of reverb on the vocals.

Thank you for the feeback

Thanks
    Hi heatmiser,

The rumbling is coming from the toms in that section starting at 1.48. I have not yet worked on the drum elements so they are not tamed yet but it will

Thank you for you feedback, I wiill definitely work on the drums, reverb and balance the vocals and post a new version soon.

Thanks
    Pretty good song. Most of the tones sound pretty good.

Those bongos panning back and forth were pretty distracting tho.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to VomitHatSteve For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I'm so use to them now that I almost don't hear them anymore ,I don't want completly remove them if I can but I'll try to figure out something for them ,thank you for the feedback

Thanks
    Great performance crycookie. I think the bongos might come down a little bit in volume, maybe bring up the drums a bit. The vocals could use some leveling I think, they kind of pop up and down in volume. Real nice arrangement, all the elements work well together.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to easlern For This Useful Post:

Thread Information