Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hammerhead

Thanks

Cool Hammerhead

Sign in to disable this ad
    This is something I did on my Fostex MR8 with some friends that I used to play with.

It was recorded and mixed with the MR8. Guitar, keys and sequenced bass were direct. Drums were recorded with two PZM mics in my basement.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/chriso...hammerhead.mp3

Open for critique if you have the time to give a listen.

Thanks
    Cool song and recording...very nice job recording those drums! Some great drum licks too!

I'd bring that guitar up just a hair. Personally I'm dying for it to occupy more of the stereo field, but that's just how I think. I know nothing.

Good job. Get some vocals on that thing.

Thanks
    Pretty damn good. Love the drums.
    This song, to me, is kinda "Rush-like."

Thanks
    Thanks for the comments and taking the time to check it out guys.

SLuiCe, I'll try a mix with more guitar and see how it is. It was tending to bury the keys a little before so I may need to separate them a tad.

ChristopherM, I've been a Rush head for longer than I care to admit so I guess it creeps in to everything I do whether I like it or not.

Thanks again guys.

Thanks
    B. SABBATH would like that guitar in the intro.

Good seperation between the elements. Just before 00:59, move the drums out of the center to the left, pan the keys over high right, and move the guitar into the center, and then stay there for awhile.

There's lots of opportunities for creative panning here, to 'feature' each instrument in the middle for a moment.

Just before 01:34 move all the elements closer into the heart of the stereo field.

Make a post on the songwriter's forum, you'll have lyric ideas in a jiffy , and could spawn a really nice thread there, I encourage you to post on the songwriter's forum.

The drumming here is very well done. Tasteful through the riffs, and nice fills, executed well.

This is some of the best micing and recording of drums with only two overheads I have ever heard. Keep working on your drum rig, and you'll be the best on this board in no time.

The mix is very compressed, I would release some of the compression on the guitar if possible for more dynamic.

Cool stuff !

Thanks for sharing !
    Performing and recording with real violin, viola, and cello for bands and artists.

Thanks

Thumbs up Nice chops dude!

Pretty good drum sound too for your setup.

Guitar level is fine IMHO, but the tone is kinda flat 'n fuzzy. Probably due to that direct thing.

I agree with the Rush-like comment.

Ever heard the Pat Travers tune "Hammerhead"?

Thanks
    Wow, thanks!

studioviols, I'll try your suggestions on panning. That's the type of input that experienced, fresh ears are priceless for. I'll have a crack at posting on the song writers forum too.

M.Brane, the guitar could positively benefit from not being recorded direct. One the mics on my wish list is an sm57. After I get it I think I'll have it redone.

Didn't know that Pat Travers had a tune called hammerhead. I hope he's not on the board. I can't afford to be sued.

I called it that 'cause when I came up with the bass line, it sounded like a mindless juggernaut. Like a shark, always searching for food. Or me, looking for a midnight snack.

Thanks
    Nice drumming.Yeah, Sam would like that guitar intro .Hate the guitar tone .Rush fan? Drums sound a little flat in the response area (Overcompressed??).Good playing. No Vox?
    My Meat Has Worms...

Thanks
    damn, just two pzm's on the drums? the kick drum is coming through real well.

Thanks
    I like the song.

With vocals and miced guitar, you'll really have something here

Thread Information