Hammerhead

DrummChris

This is something I did on my Fostex MR8 with some friends that I used to play with.

It was recorded and mixed with the MR8. Guitar, keys and sequenced bass were direct. Drums were recorded with two PZM mics in my basement.

Open for critique if you have the time to give a listen.

Cool song and recording...very nice job recording those drums! Some great drum licks too! :)

I'd bring that guitar up just a hair. Personally I'm dying for it to occupy more of the stereo field, but that's just how I think. I know nothing.

Good job. Get some vocals on that thing.

Thanks for the comments and taking the time to check it out guys.

SLuiCe, I'll try a mix with more guitar and see how it is. It was tending to bury the keys a little before so I may need to separate them a tad.

ChristopherM, I've been a Rush head for longer than I care to admit so I guess it creeps in to everything I do whether I like it or not.

Thanks again guys.

B. SABBATH would like that guitar in the intro.

Good seperation between the elements. Just before 00:59, move the drums out of the center to the left, pan the keys over high right, and move the guitar into the center, and then stay there for awhile.

There's lots of opportunities for creative panning here, to 'feature' each instrument in the middle for a moment.

Just before 01:34 move all the elements closer into the heart of the stereo field.

Make a post on the songwriter's forum, you'll have lyric ideas in a jiffy , and could spawn a really nice thread there, I encourage you to post on the songwriter's forum.

The drumming here is very well done. Tasteful through the riffs, and nice fills, executed well.

This is some of the best micing and recording of drums with only two overheads I have ever heard. Keep working on your drum rig, and you'll be the best on this board in no time.

The mix is very compressed, I would release some of the compression on the guitar if possible for more dynamic.

Cool stuff !

Thanks for sharing !

Nice chops dude!

Pretty good drum sound too for your setup.

Guitar level is fine IMHO, but the tone is kinda flat 'n fuzzy. Probably due to that direct thing.;)

I agree with the Rush-like comment.

Ever heard the Pat Travers tune "Hammerhead"?

Wow, thanks!

studioviols, I'll try your suggestions on panning. That's the type of input that experienced, fresh ears are priceless for. I'll have a crack at posting on the song writers forum too.

M.Brane, the guitar could positively benefit from not being recorded direct. One the mics on my wish list is an sm57. After I get it I think I'll have it redone.

Didn't know that Pat Travers had a tune called hammerhead. I hope he's not on the board. I can't afford to be sued. ;)

I called it that 'cause when I came up with the bass line, it sounded like a mindless juggernaut. Like a shark, always searching for food. Or me, looking for a midnight snack. :)

Nice drumming.Yeah, Sam would like that guitar intro :) .Hate the guitar tone :( .Rush fan? Drums sound a little flat in the response area (Overcompressed??).Good playing. No Vox?

Damn that's a great drum sound....kudos...

I agree with the other fellas....especially studioviols about the guits....

tasty tasty licks....

very cool man...
Joe

Heya!

I usually like a more stereo-type of mix. This one sounded kinda mono and dull to me (then again, after the drubbing I get for my mixes sounding mono, I tend to throw a stereo-widening field on everything I do, so that's just my ears talking).

The playing on this was pretty cool!! I like the almost punk breakdown playing against the backing synths.

Nice work! :)

W.I.S.C., could you expand on what you thought was flat about the drums? No vocals yet. Still in progress.

erichenryus, Bulls Hit, joro, thanks for the comments.

Shaky Tee, what would you suggest to widen the stereo field?

Is there a software version of something like a BBE unit?

Thanks again for listening guys.

In the phones (which is really the best way for me to listen cuz my comp spkrs HELLA-SUCK!!),anyway, It's like even when the drums are hit real hard, they're not really breathing in the room.Like the the resonance is taken outta them by a gate or too much compression. I like to hear more of the room or maybe a little verb (add lightly) to give it more presence.It may be a prefference thing, but even a tight kit has the room behind it to let it breathe.It may be also that the guitars are "crowding" the freq range, but you don't want EQ advice from me cuz I am a schizophrenic and may often contradict myself... plus I'm not as well versed as some of the other gurus on the board.
There is a software version of the BBE. I always get in trouble for promoting crack/illegally obtained software so I won't tell you to go on the net and look for it. I also won't tell you to look on whatever P2P filesharing prog your using. If I told you to do that, then all these assholes who lurk in the dark rescesses of the BBS will come out and reprimand me and try to get me banned by IP by writing to the moderator and junk,you know... that ol' gag.

2 cents given.

hmm the old pzm in the basement trick. amazing

So do you think that stereo field is off balance. The mix seems unbalanced. Like there is too much on one side.

W.I.S.C., that's interesting. It must be the mic position and the lack of any ambiant mics because I didn't use any compresion on the drums at all. What your hearing is how it sounds in my basement. I don't tune my drums for maximum resonance though. And they're birch, not maple. Birch doesn't ring out as much. P.S. I'll have to check out the BBE software. Thanks.

tjohnston, which side is leaning to you?

Very nice drumming. Great tom rolls. Just the right amount of them too - not to the point of showing off. You left me wanting more, which is a compliment. Cool guitar tone.

The drums are a bit forward. Since it sounds like you have quite a bit of headroom, bring them guits up.

The gain on the guits might be just a tad too much. They were a little overly-fuzzy. Minor nitpick though.

Maybe these are bedtracks for a vocal part, I don't know. But as an instrumental, it ran a little long.

All in all a good job.

Dug this thread up while searching to find out what the MR-8 is capable of. I'm very impressed by your recording and your song. Nicely done. A real bassist might bring it up a notch, but it certainly doesn't feel like it's lacking as it stands.

complexprocess said:
Dug this thread up while searching to find out what the MR-8 is capable of. I'm very impressed by your recording and your song. Nicely done. A real bassist might bring it up a notch, but it certainly doesn't feel like it's lacking as it stands.

Thanks complexprocess. I love my MR8. It's a blast.

Back