for halloween- THE WEREWOLF SONG

GONZO-X

it's a werewolf song.... called "THE PAYMENT".
inspired by the classic horror movie "the wolfman"

http://********.com/songs.aspx?SongID=49241&ArtistID=30211

OR

http://tinyurl.com/2jsvst

it's loosely based on the original wolfman movie, the one where larry talbot gets bitten by the werewolf, and he see's the pentagram in his hand, and he knows he's fucked, so he goes to the old gypsy woman to get fixed, and she basically tells him to kill himself...... what a bum deal...

anyway, these 2 brothers have been partying all night, drunk as a skunk, one of them wanders out into the moor, and meets his maker.

the other brother wants revenge, but figures he'd better get some ammunition, so he goes to see the gypsy-witch, to get some aconite (wolfsbane) and a spell here and a prayer there, and figures he's set, so he goes out to the moor too, to get his revenge.

but that's not what he gets......

“The Payment”
Written by Robert F. Gilliland
c1999 Robert F. Gilliland

Nightime, on the moor
drank up all the mead
mist is in the air
full moon, did the deed.

never saw the evil...
that poor ole son of a bitch
felt the claws that gripped his throat
yeah, he was dead without a twitch.

'it's your brother down on the moor,
with his head down at his feet!'

drink the aconite, tonight
toast the witches curse
pray to whoever you believe in
to pass over you the worst

it's your brother on the moor,
with his head down at his feet
and the debt has not been paid in full
will you, your maker, meet?

run into the moor
and see the evil eye
upon you cast a glance,
and the payment, it is nigh.

Last edited:
Another cool song !!...

How are you pulling off those vocals (??)...on this and the other song that's posted ...I love that "sound" ....have no idea how to duplicate it though :(

Thanks,
Rick

WERNER 1
happy halloween!
LOL
those vox....
well, you reach down, grab your nuts, squeeze real hard, and hope you can keep pitch!
:D

honestly, it's just getting the levels right, choosing the right mic for your voice (in this case, it was a AT4033 for this lead vocal, usually tho it's a ADK Hamburg).... i put a touch of compression on it going in (dbx mini-6 comp) just to even out the peaks and valleys.... and try to back off the mic when i'm hitting it real hard. basically, work the mic.

jrhager84
yep, stewie's got it going on, eh?!

Aidan M
thanks for cracking it!!

ok, an idea for the middle section:

at one point, i was considering doing this 'growling' thing, in the middle section....

i was thinking, to close-mic the amp, doing total slack string drops with the trem bar, and slightly hammering on/pull off on the slack bass string, to approximate a 'growl'....you know, cut up the track, into bits and pieces, that sounds like intermittant growling....

then, copy that to several other tracks, slightly offset each one, and then blend them as one wide track...

then, actually growl (or low speak) onto another track, but mix it super low, so it's barely there, and have it do the same exact thing as whatever the growl guitar track ends up....

so the idea is, for the middle section:

the remaining brother is wandering thru the moor, on his way to the gypsy witch's cabin....
it's dark, spooky, and obviously, the werewolf is watching him from a distance..... growling under it's breath....

:D

som'pin like that?!

Hey man great job. I'm not really feeling the song, but that's just personal taste. The production - as always - is freaking top-notch. Everything sounds just right, clean, and mixed well. Kick ass job overall. :)

Very Nice! Which guitar and amp did you use?
When I watched "The Wolfman" a few weeks ago I noticed something strange. When Larry goes back to his room and starts to change he is wearing a tank top tee shirt. In the next scene when he is outside he is wearing a long sleeved shirt. They must have cut out the part with the Wolfman changing his clothes and brushing his hair. I guess he didn't want the chicks to see his hairy back.:D

Greg_L
aw man, how can you not feel the claws gripping your throat, that stench of kibbles and bits in your face.....?!!

LOL
hey man, that's cool.
it's a story, that's all..... i tried to set it in a hard rock fashion, with a bruising riff and more downstrokes than up!
(so you never dressed up as a wolfman when you were a little kid?) :D
only as a spaceman rock and roller.......

Jouni
thanks for the compliments.... thanks for checking it out!

ido1957
mahvelous!
LOL
thanks......

ocnor
guitar and amp?
that's my Carvin DC200K on all of it.
the amp, is a 1981 mesa boogie markIIb 60 watt head, into a roland 1x12 closed back cab with celestion greenback, and miced with a sm57.

yeah, i noticed that edit snafu myself...
i guess, he'd dress out in the wolf garb one good time, and they'd film all the scenes they could, then they'd forget what he had on!!
LOL

"hairy back"...
i have that same problem, and it's not moon related.

notfonts

thanks for checking it..

yeah, lots of feedback in this one...

that was a fun section to do....

getting the amp just right, finding just the right gain and eq, getting the right position for the guitar to just take off.......
figuring out where to use the trem bar, and how much....

and then layering it all on top of each other.... but having it come and go, like ghosts in a long hallway....

LOL

Back