Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Had a local pop/rock band come in and record a song with me, please give feedback! :)

Thanks

Had a local pop/rock band come in and record a song with me, please give feedback! :)

Sign in to disable this ad
    Let me know what you think of this mix: I've been working hard getting the best sounds out of my shitty practice-space "studio" as I can. This is definitely the best I've ever done, so let me know what you think of my progress!

We had only two evenings to record everything spur-of-the-moment, so there are some flaws but I think we did a good job capturing what they were going for.

http://www.stevehenningsgard.com/mp3.mp3

I think the biggest flaws are the less-than-silky clean vocals, the questionable vocal panning, and the overall lack of punch. I've been doing my best to overcome the n00b syndrome of "buckets and buckets of mud", but I may have completely removed the low-mids... hmm
    Last edited by Steve Henningsgard; 07-10-2007 at 12:13.

Thanks
    sounds pretty good to me from what i have heard so far (slooow download!).

maybe the bass drum is a bit prominent, particularly when it's just kick, guitar and vocal early on.

everything else sounds pretty much in proportion to me. maybe the guitar could compete with the drums a bit more.

one question- when people do that scream thing, how do they stop themselves from retching and puking everywhere?!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zoiks View Post
    sounds pretty good to me from what i have heard so far (slooow download!).

maybe the bass drum is a bit prominent, particularly when it's just kick, guitar and vocal early on.

everything else sounds pretty much in proportion to me. maybe the guitar could compete with the drums a bit more.

one question- when people do that scream thing, how do they stop themselves from retching and puking everywhere?!
    Thanks for the comments: as for the screaming, it's done by pushing large amounts of air in your falsetto voice most of the time! That way, your real voice doesn't get hurt. It's interesting to listen to somebody get "better" at screaming over the years, but it's definitely possible to be good vs. bad at it!

Nobody else?

Thanks
    Listening to the mix right now. Great mix!, I just can't stomach the screamo vocal in it. But drums and guitars and bass all sound great. Maybe bring down the Screamo vocal more. It is really loud when it comes in. Sounds punchy to me, but I am on computer speakers.

I must be getting old, I just can't handle the blood curdling vocals. To me it ruins the tune. No offence.

DAZE
    http://www.myspace.com/richbischoff

Thanks
    that kick... its the only problem with the mix. everything else sounds great. i would bring it down and eq out some more of the 200-500hz range while boosting around 80-90hz. and then get some more click in there at 3-5khz.

the vocals sound really good. nice job on the screaming actually. i think it sits well in the mix and doesnt sound too dead like it often can.

i didnt know there was a bass untill the very end of the song. try and work on complimentary eq or buss compression with the kick and bass to have them work together better.

just some advice, otherwise nice work. its sounds awesome.
    tascam 1804
    self-built amd 4000+ system
    gateway m285-e core 2 duo tablet pc
    m audio sp-5b's
    reaper v1.8x

Thanks
    i think that song sounds TIGHT dude
    it really reminds me of taking back sunday
    and that screaming is actually really good
    good band
    good recording
    pat yourself on the back

Thanks
    Sounds like a good mix to me! Although it kinda seems it could have a little more bottom end too it.. Other than that, once again, great mix!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.h View Post
    Let me know what you think of this mix: I've been working hard getting the best sounds out of my shitty practice-space "studio" as I can. This is definitely the best I've ever done, so let me know what you think of my progress!

We had only two evenings to record everything spur-of-the-moment, so there are some flaws but I think we did a good job capturing what they were going for.

I think the biggest flaws are the less-than-silky clean vocals, the questionable vocal panning, and the overall lack of punch. I've been doing my best to overcome the n00b syndrome of "buckets and buckets of mud", but I may have completely removed the low-mids... hmm

This band sounds like something I'd listen to alot, maybe I've even heard of them, mind telling me who they are?

I think the mix is great, vocals sound amazing and guitars are well done. Could be a little more bassy which has already been said but very good.

Thanks
    Thanks for the compliments! I only hope I can at least replicate, if not improve on it with the following mixes/bands I record hah

In regards to the bottom end, I totally agree there's not a heck of a lot there. I'd always had problems with my previous mixes of capturing too much bass and having to cut a lot of it. This time around, I paid special attention to it and it clearly got lost! Next time around 'll get it

Thanks
    I agree the drums are a bit loud compared to the guitars and the kick might be a tad hot. Rest is good...good band, good playing....

Thread Information