H/R.com band lives on (ref. Dragon cave)

In reference to the other posts in the Cave, sounds like we have some good ideas for making the song different from the original. I can go with reggae or metal, or some kind of combination of both. I was thinking of doing some programmed percussion in addition to the drums, but will see what Emeric does with the rythm guitar track, and what other people in the "band" want to hear. Make sure to post here or e-mail me when there's something on the idrive that's ready for me to start working with.

Ok, this sounds fine. What kind of timeframe are we on here? I may not get around to it till early next week. Is this ok? If not maybe there is someone else who already knows the tune and has some ideas.

Don't sweat it, Emeric.
Remember that nothing rushed is any fun compared with the other way of doing it.

Wow, thanks doc! I do hate that 2 page schtuff. Anyway...on wit bidness.

The more I listen to the song, the more I realize a few things a: The song owuld soung better as Raggae than metal. b: We didnt choose a particularly easy song. But that's okay. I'm down for a Raggae version...

As for the time frame, let's not push anything. Everyone just take their time, it's more important to have quality output then quick output.

And Emeric, I guess your the one to start us out (no pressure :) ). Be creative in however you want to do it. It's completly open.

-Nilbog

I got your email Nilbog...asking me if I wanted to do vocals and I believe I replied with a yes. I'll be glad to give it a go seeing as we aren't on a strict time schedule and since it is just for fun.

Also, since it is just for fun I guess I won't worry that I'm not the best singer in the world.

As far as which style we play it in I think Emeric should play the reference guitar part in whatever style he feels inspired to play in and the rest of us can each let that inspire us in turn...or something.

Anyway, maybe what I am trying to say is if we are going to be strict about the style I may have a tough time (I barely even know what Reggae sounds like).

My voice is kind of low too. Might sound better in a lower key than what the Eagles did it in.

Tucci

I don't know how welcome I am in this thread anymore (I've watched guys I played with join bands before :)) but this caught my eye, and I think it applies big time:

"The hardest part was getting out of each other's way, figuring out if one guy plays *this* here,then I can't play *that* there."

Charlie Gillingham, from Counting Crows, when asked "Was it difficult to hash out arrangements?"

[This message has been edited by dobro (edited 05-01-2000).]

I think your right, Tucci, we should all do whatever style we're comfortable, while keeping it loosley together...
I think we should probably keep it in the same key (if it'll work for you Tucci), just because I think it would be a lot easier on everybody.
"One request though, can we keep it in the same key so we don't have to tranpose
everything." -Emeric
Dobro - You're right. Those are gonna be the things that are hardest to figure out since we can't all do this together realtime. What to do about this, aside from writing every note of everyone's part, I have no idea...And of course your welcome.
-Nil

Ok, I am sure I can still sing it in the original key. Hmmm...actually, I have a low enough range that I could sing it in the same key an octave down. Now wouldn't that sound groovy!

I don't think we should spend too much time worrying about getting in eachother's way or taking over someone else's "sonic territory" in the mix. It is all for fun right? So we just do the best we can and let Doc make it sound good.

Tucci

Been thinking about this today. This song is already kind of reggaeish, but maybe we can just emphasise it a bit more. Only thing I've come with so far is some different punch ideas and possible some heavier guitar in places. Havnt recorded anything yet, but will as soon as I can.

What about all the solo's? I don't know If I want to learn them all note for note, but again they are such classic solo's it's hard to think of anything different. Any input on this?

I say pull whatever you want for the solos. Get those solos in mind and then just rip it for a few bars. Maybe the later part of the outro could be the same, as that's the part that sticks out most to me. Or it could be completely different. ;)
I think we have a while to get this worked out for the guitar solos, as it will take me some time to setup my drums and get something recorded, as I just moved last week. Still got everything in boxes right now, but should be able to get ready to record soon. Then I gotta learn some reggae drum licks and get that vibe going... lol. We gots plenty o' time. I just now realized how close to reggae this song already is, I hear what you are talking about Emeric.

BTW, if we want any percussion similar to that bongo/shaker sounding stuff in the MP3 Nilbog referred us to, I can do that too. I think this is going to actually work out well.

Hi,

I've been away, but now I'm back.

Things seem to be shaping up nice.

BTW, in reply to the request to play guitar on this effort, I think it would be best if someone with some actual skill did it :-).

But, on the other hand, if you want some input from someone with somewhat different influences to most involved (I actually don't like the Eagles (sorry!)) then I'll be happy to have a crack at anything - bass, guitar, programming, sound textures etc. but probably not real drums, as I don't have my own kit.

Maybe I could just do a remix when it's done?...

Hope it works out OK,

matt

I agree with Jon. Just do what you feel like doing. If the song ends up sucking really bad, well...who cares? We will still have all gained a good experience. But, I don't think the song will turn out bad. You guys are rad.
I havent said rad since 1988 or so.
-Nilbog

This sounds cool ... sorry I'm catching it so late in the planning stage. Very interested to hear how this comes out. It's a great idea.
I don't really get how you guys are going to do this though ... everyone records 1 track as a .wav and then someone assembles them all and syncs them when they're done?
I don't get it, I guess. :)
If everyone was using ADAT or something ... i could see just sending the tape all over the world for everyone to add to ... but how are you going to get over the "multiple formats" hurdle?
Just wondering.
Good luck you guys!

The technique is easy enough with any S/W multitracker. The first track is recorded with an indexing noise (very sharp transient) several seconds before the program material begins. This could be added afterward as well. I like using a synth drum sound at a specified velocity as the waveforms come out almost identical peak for peak. Easy to line up after the fact down to < 1/2 wavelength.
The next person adding a track simply copies the whole track to an empty track and deletes everything but the "Click". Then when they're ready to record, they use the track with the prealigned click and record starting between the click and the material while using the first track(s) to play against. Done deal. The track is as aligned as it's gonna get!
No guesswork involved. Every other track added works the same way. As to multiple formats, I can deal with .mp3 and .wav and supposedly .aiff but I've never actually tried that one. Even with a badass Internet connect, .wav files will be a problem to upload. Upload to where?
No problem to D/L though... :)
For .mp3 may I suggest at least 192 Kbps?
Higher is no problem, either.

I finally got moved this weekend, and unless my local phone company suprises me and really comes through quick, I have lost availability of a fast Internet connection in the move. That said, I say we use MP3s. The highest quality anyone wants is fine, but it would take me a 1/2 a day to download a .wav over this 33.6 modem, and then at least that again to up the drum tracks.

BTW, it might be too early to ask this question, but when the time comes would everyone involved rather I mix the kit myself and upload the entire percussion track as a single MP3? Or would you rather I upload a few tracks each with a major piece and some other minor stuff? Either way is fine with me, but I'm not doing the final mix, so what does everyone think and what is your preference Doc?

At least we didn't get it 9/10ths done and find that out. So what's the plan, do we continue on, or pick another tune? You know me, I'm down with whatever everyone else agrees on.

I didn't bother to download and listen to their cover of the song, so maybe it's way different from what we were thinking of doing. Anybody listen to it already?

Back