Guys...I really need some help...

joro

The Pie Guy
with the mix on this new song....
I am gonna add a vox soon....gal singer...
She sings like Mellissa Etheridge...only good...ya know?

I gotta make room for the vox and I am wondering what to soften....

It is called Boarder Road and it is at NoWhere.....click here...OK?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated...thanks :)

um...

what's that buzz...?

and holy distortion batman... take those levels down man!!! take em down!!! I've heard less clips in a barber shop... :D

those are the first two things to take care of.. then we can hear what the actual instruments sound like. :)

WATYF

Hey man...

I re-mixed..dropped the levels...is it enough?

The buzz is probably my ancient NuMark pre.....
Damn...I need gear...

Same link...same song...I replaced it...
Thanks man...

Joro,

A couple thoughts.

On the intro, it might do some good to have two tracks of that git. Slap some reverb on one and pan right, slap some verb and very short delay on the other and pan left. That should make it sound alot better ( or some simular approach) Right now it sounds like the acoustic git is right down the middle and too overpowering. Get it out of the center and that will start to make room for the vox.

The lead git is all but lost in the mix. I get the feeling that the tone is thin and undesirable as well but, can't make the track out well enough to tell. Your rhythm section is taking everything over. Try some panning and verb and if you can get the lead git to sit in the mix and be heard, then you should have a fair chance at doing the same with a vox track.

Not the most concise or technical advice I know. However, it should get you rolling in the right direction. Let us hear it with the vox and some more attention.

Hope that helps some,
Theron.

things sound a bit out of sync. A metronome should help.
a good performance with decent miking techniques will always be easier than trying to fix things when mixing.

Aside from that, yeah, the acoustic guitar is too powerful compare to other guitars.

AL

muuuuch better... :p

Now I can hear that the lead guitar gets pretty well lost in the mix for the first 20 secs or so until it finally peaks it's head out at aboot 0:47.

WATYF

I would say...drop the mids out of almost everything..Very harsh...And yeah, the timing is a little off.
I only listened to about 25 seconds...my ears were bleeding after that...

Sorry Marty.....

I re-mixed again....killed one track completely that I think was skrewing up the timing worse than the others....
dropped levels and mids....add verb and delay (Thanks Theron :) )
boosted the lead a bit....sorta choppy without the lyrics but...they will fit....

Same link....
left the old one...
New one is called Boarder Road Re-Mix....

how did I do?
Thanks fellers for the advice....timing is my biggest problem I think....
I just cannot hear the other tracks when I am recording...
not even the click track....I gotta work on it....ya know? :)
Thanks again guys...

Given that it's a 4 minute instrumental, I think you need to do a bit more with different parts to keep the listener's interest. A lead guit part came in at ~2:30, but I wanted it sooner. The lead was back in the mix and somewhat difficult to hear. The part was nice, however, and enhanced the song nicely.

I would experiment with some EQing on the electric rhythm part. It seems to be competing somewhere with the acoustic (and losing).

Keep it up...

hey joro,

I'm listening to Boarder road re-mix...

There are some problems here dude... The melody is good, but the mix is bad.. The electric rhythm also sounds a bit out of tune to me.. I didnt read the other posts so I assume it was mentioned.. I'll read them after..

The electric does not sound good.. The song could use something like vocals or more leads.. Many problems here brother.. Dont hate me, but I figure you would want an honest opinion.. It is not pleasing to listen to mainly because of the sound.. I might consider redoing it.. Dump that guitar sound....whatever your using for the electric guitar, smash it immediately.:D

The song has a decent enough melody, so I would redo it..

Dont hate me because I'm ugly...:D I think if the melody is there, that's the important part... ya know?

later dude

sam (.B.Sabbath)

The distorted guitar sound isn't good. You've got to do something about that. Sounds like it's recorded direct, am I right? Get some amp-simulation thing there, or try to EQ those guitar tracks somehow. There seems to be too much high frequencies and gain overall. The acoustic guitar is good, but there's too much hiss there in the background, at least it's noticeable in the intro. Pay attention to these things, and also the playing could be a bit more in sync. The melody is alright, but the message kinda gets lost in the bad mix.

Thanks Guys...

That is exactly the kind of feedback I needed.....

I am gonna try it again from scratch.....hopefully I can do better with the timing.....I will probably use the existing acoustic track as a base track....

This tune is eventually gonnna get into a "For Real" Studio with a "For Real" engineer....
I am gonna try it again though...
The Vox really makes the tune....
I will post it when it is done...
Thanks for the comments and sorry for all the bleeding ears....

And cranky One....you are right....I recorded direct with the distorted guit....

Thanks again guys...
best ears on the web right here at HR.....ya know? :)

I'm gonna be blunt here....but I think most of the problems start with a lack of finesse with the playing. The tone, meshing together, fluid lead licks, timing, tuning...all will improve with a more intimate feel with your axe. You're heading in the right direction hitting all the right notes, per say...(ala Neil Young), but there's no dynamics in the playing. It's all kinda just bashing away...and so forth. I think with a couple more years under your belt playing, you'll see that your recordings jump up in quality too. Going to a "real" studio with a "real" engineer may not really solve the problems that you are hearing. You need to start at the source first....

Rome wasn't built in a day.....

keep whackin' and hackin' ...you're off and runnin';)

Back