Guernica, Participant & Jamal Buchet Collab

chrisharris

King of Bling
Ok, I did some too...LOL.

For anybody that's monitoring this, we're now in the "11th Hour" of creating/mixing this tune for Jamal... I'm starting a new thread because this has to be finished tonight, so any and all input is REALLY appreciated. Good, bad...bitch about the solo...LOL. Whatever, just make it honest and quick.

THE PLAYERS:
"Participant" - Killer Drums
"Guernica" - Killer Bass
"Jamal Bucket" - Wrote it, sang it, played guits
Me - BG Vocals, lame guitar solo, some yells, AND I'M MIXING IT, SO RIP IT UP!!!!

This is what the clinic is best at, and I'm sorry for starting another thread, but it's a pretty cool song, and we're out of time. :D :D

www.nowhereradio.com/mynewhead/singles
"LAST HURRAH"

For those of you who have my NWR page bookmarked under "Favorites," please note that this last mix is on Jamal's page. (Yes, the "Favorites" crack was a total joke...do you really think I'm that big of a jerk?...don't answer that).

(and this one really IS the last hurrah)

Chris, this mix absofuckinlutely ROCKS. (yes I have YOUR mix) God. I hear what you're doing and I'm TOTALLY digging it. As for the musicians here.. Need I really say anything? You guys rock, excellent playing.

-Brent

MUCH improved....!

More solid and better-integrated blend.... good stereo image............ better balancing........... lead gtr is sitting better........ (I'm still hearing a couple of places where you lost your train of thought or "wandered off" though!)

Things I could still tweak if I were behind the board...

- there's still an slightly excessive amount of sibilance and top-end

- the bass could still use some better definition in the low-mids... as it is there's a lot deepness but not as much in the upper range of the bass

Neither of these 2 points are hugely critical now though, just personal preference...!

Very nice work!

Sounds quite bit different than the original post...ok
IMO

The piano? at the beginning of the second verse could stand to be pushed up a bit it was barely noticable cause it seemed muffled, but in my opinion the piano adds a lot to the undertone of the second verse

The background vocals at the chorus (the really high ones) KICK ASS!!

The guitar solo seemed to get burried and get muttled around 2:45...not sure what you could there...eq?

The transition at 3:57 to the outro was a little stark but outro rocks!!

just my two cents worh but i would experiment with the high vocals (scream almost) and see if you can paste a couple over the transition and have that hold over the outro and then fade out into the first measure of outro.

Just a few thoughts ( not that they count)

but otherwise kick ass

Oh, hell yeah... G's bass brings it all together... very sweeeeet!! Love the choice of notes he makes...

Best one yet... some krispies... on the vox tracks... but sounding great.... very good job, chris... jamal... and G...

This was fun.

c

ZPphreak said:
J.B. Keep the sceaming up.. Don't listen to those haters!
LOL - What haters? Actually, I think the only negative comments about the vocals have been about MY vocals, LOL. ZPhreak - if you get a chance, check out the latest, which is actually on Jamal's page now, not mine. thanks for listening man.

Blue Bear - Many thanks for your time and comments on this one. You and a couple of others cut to the chase pretty quickly yesterday, and it helped a ton. I wish I could take credit for fixing it, but I honestly think that the new bass did more than I ever could...(although I may have screwed even THAT up a little...hehehe). I loved your comment about the solo...LOL ..Man, if you only knew how HARD I actually was trying when I played it,...I cheated a bunch after your first comments punched in, etc .. I suck. :D :D Thanks again for the help and ears.

Hogans Hiro - thanks for the tips. I like your last idea a lot, and I'm gonna' do that now.

Participant - I think the snare cuts through better now, and since you didn't mention it...lol...I guess it does. Nice nice work, by the way. I was hoping you wouldn't yell at me for a couple of things... Liiiiiike, I added a couple of crashes, and the ride during the solo...the drop outs were screwing with my head, so I pasted some rides in. Verbed the snare a tad, but didn't add any other FX to the drums. And if I cut any more sibilance off of the vocal, lol...I'm afraid he's gonna' sound like he doesn't have any front teeth. the sibilance problem was due to JB tracking the vocal with reverb...later compression compounded it...it's just there...lol. Hopefully, Jamal will say nice things to you about your work on this.

Right guys - I hope you appreciate this. I got out of bed specially to listen to this and comment before your deadline! :)

First things first - this is excellent. It was always a very strong track, but it's even better now.

The drumming and bass are very solid - good work. And Chris - I love a lot of the stuff you've added. Lots of cool details.

For speed I won't keep saying "I really like ... whatever" - take it as read that if I don't comment on something, I think it's really cool.

Suggestions:

The kick drum sounds a tiny bit "clicky" - can we get a wee bit more "thud"? (I'm listening on phones, so it might be that)

A bit more clarity on the highs - epsecially the cymbals?

I'd like to hear the bass a bit more clearly - make it slightly more punchy?

0:24 - 0:36 - non-double tracked lead vocal - I want to hear the lead vocal really exposed here. THen bring in the doubled vocal at 0:36.

0:48 - 0:53 - cut the harmony vocal a touch, and bring it in towards the lead vocal. More of a contrast with the later harmonies.

1:23 onwards - the piano sound needs more clarity - boost the highs, cut the lows. It doesn't matter for this kind of track if it doesn't sound "real" - it needs to cut through. It sould be louder too. You could also try fading it in over the course of the second verse.

Guitar solo - the sound is fine, and it fits in nicely with the rest of the track. I think most of the solo itself is very good, but personally I would re-track the fast bits to something simpler, specifically 2:41 - 2:44 and 2:51 - 2:59.

3:57 - "pipe vocals" - there's a hint of a left-right delay effect. Timing issue? Intended effect? Very subtle, but slightly distracting with phones.

Love the outro.

I love this song and it's gone straight into my "keepers" folder. Great work, folks.

Cheers

AB

Excellent job guys.For those of us who have followed Jamals music, we know that he has been taken to the next level in his musical quest thats for sure!

Kudo's to all of you.

Chris/Bear I was really kinda trying to say "Don't listen to THE haters" as in anyone who MIGHT not like the screams.. aka the cleaaaaann mp3 you posted.. I just kind of got a kick out of it. I did not mean to insinuate that I though that some people have already commented negatively about the song.
As for the sibilance comments.. I agree.. something's nto quite right with the main vox... maybe it was in tracking or mic choice. Since you said that the EQ was minimal I think that the problem may have lied in the original tracks. If thats the sound that JB wants then Stick with it.. If it were mine (and it's not my preferred sound0 then I'd retrack it with something else.. this is all my preference though. Not to suggest either that the tracking sucks. I'm still grooving to this BIG time.

Cheers

-Brent

it sounds really good.........i still think the verse vocals might be a tad siblant........a little de-essing could help i think......other than that, it sounds really good...........great rock song..........still love the high harmonies......how were those recorded and eq'ed?

one of the things that I think adds to the sibilance is that at the beginning the vox aren't in perfect sync.. i see this in a few places.. mainly in the verses. The part "I savor this anger" at 1:33 just seems to come out of the mix WAY too much.. like the BG music BECOMES BG music and not a band.. it's distracting... IMO of course.. maybe this is helpful.. maybe it's not.. ..

-Brent

Last edited:
Good job all!

Mix is good but needs more guitar- especially that solo! Get out from behind Chad's drum kit so we can hear you rip!:D

Hey Man...... sweeet!

...This tune hit me as very Foo Fighter(ish) ....and that is most definitely a good thing. In cans, the bass sounds appropriately very Foo-ish........ so, very nice job. Any bitches that I would have would be insignificant. .....I do however wanna mention just a few little things:

#1- This song is a stone-cold fucking Hit!! Excellent writing Jamal. Im not kidding......this tune will not leave my head. I wish you the best with whatever youre doing with it.

#2- I havent been following all of the posts close enough to know who did what, but whoever did the bg vocal arrangement on this kicked my ass. The performance and delivery is excellent on all the vocs. But the arrangement in particular is very smartly done. ....Some of the best vocal work ive seen in this clinic.

.......great job Chad..... very appropriate drums that sound great!! btw: that ride cymbal kicks serious ass!!!!
....and Chris....... very nice mix man!!!

g
w/ "A BIG 5" for the reasons mentioned above!

Last edited:
What the heck can I add!!??

Put it this way, I burned this jammy to c/d !

That's how much I was impressed! :cool:

Listening to these perfs and production shows me I gotta lot to learn!!!:(

Never heard anything ny Jamal before, but Chris and G-man are among my favorites on this bbs, so I had to listen.

Pretty freekin' good gentlemen. The song is catchy and well arranged. I loved the drums. Great sound. Nice job, participant.

I hear the sibilance that others have referred to, however, it doesn't really bother me. I mean sooner or later "s's" have to sound something like "s's" don't they?

Guitar solo could come up in the mix a bit.

I like the ending as well. Very creative.

I'm adding my 5 stars as well. :)

dachay2tnr said:
I mean sooner or later "s's" have to sound something like "s's" don't they?

haha! No doubt.

What else is there to add? It's both convincing and catchy! Nicely done, all of you, everyone who helped you.

Back