Guernica added some bass to "Rhythms"

SLuiCe

I promise this is the last post for this song. Mike added some bass that I think opened this tune up a lot for me. It also forced me to remix pretty much the whole thing, but it's a good learning experience finding EQ and compression settings for his bass parts in such an exposed song.

Any thoughts are welcome if you have a few minutes. (Of course nobody is "obligated" to listen to this again!)

"Rhythms"

I'm working on a new song right now so my ears are a bit freaked, but I'll listen to it anyway (because I'm curious)

I haven't heard the first version, but I must say it's nice to hear some reverb on your vocals! (you always mix it sooooo dry)

Great harmonies (especially at 2:17, 'remember...'!!!)

About the bass mix: it seems to really pop out when it plays in the higher register but 1. that isn't necessarily a bad thing and 2. it fits quite nice in the mix during the rest of the song. So....errrrr.....it's OK? :D

Am I nuts or is the bass panned to the right for about 5%?

O, and good job Mike!

you already know this is my favortie sluice tune.. the bass is excellent! Nice job G-money.. those cymbals sound great, and the acoustics sound big.. that's something you don't hear everyday, BIG acoustic.. I don't know, that's just what I was thinking.. I like this version a lot! The only thing I like better about the original is the vocal reverb.. I liked the vocal for this tune (and the whole mix for that matter) dryer.. I know I'm Mr. Effects saturation, but that's just what I'm thinking after 2 spins.. Maybe I'll like this mix better as I listen a few times.. great additions and rework.. this tune is classic..

dude... I am so all over this when I get home... :p

and it's ok Sluice... I listen to it on a regular basis anyway... I don't mind hearing it again... :p

WATYF

This was an easy one for me. The original keyboard bass was very well written and totally fits the song, so I stuck to SluiCe's general arrangement and kept my embellishing to a minimum.... besides.... ........I wasnt gonna be known as the guy that fucked up Rhythms w/ overplaying...:D

....I know Ive said it a million times, ....but brutha, .......this song really is "All that".

..thanks for letting me jam along, Mike

B.SABBATH said:
you already know this is my favortie sluice tune.. the bass is excellent! Nice job G-money.. those cymbals sound great, and the acoustics sound big.. that's something you don't hear everyday, BIG acoustic.. I don't know, that's just what I was thinking.. I like this version a lot! The only thing I like better about the original is the vocal reverb.. I liked the vocal for this tune (and the whole mix for that matter) dryer.. I know I'm Mr. Effects saturation, but that's just what I'm thinking after 2 spins.. Maybe I'll like this mix better as I listen a few times.. great additions and rework.. this tune is classic..

ignore the vocal reverb comment.. I must have been buggin' again..

it sounds just right..

now stop screwing with it! :)

Smooth. Flawless. Great tone on the arpeggiated parts. The bass playing is very subtle and tasteful.
Can't hear anything that needs improvement.

Is that really a Seagull acoustic?

Thanks boys. Sounds like maybe I can leave this one alone now.

Pedullist- Ya the bass is panned actually about 15% R. I wanted to keep it away from the kick and vocal since they dominate the lows and low mids in the center already. Thanks man!

Sam - I was thinking on the way home about this tune (and like 10 others) and I realized how much this mix revolves around the doubled acoustic. I don't think it would work well if the acoustics weren't as big as they are.
I just happened to add a little more verb to the vocal last night. I wasn't hearing the tail I wanted. You know what I mean by not getting the tail you wanted, right? ;)

WATYF- I think you'll appreciate my minimalist approach to the drums now. But if you have any suggestions :) (I don't think I used any china's. ;) )

Guernica- You rock. I'll be looking to you for mixing (and performance) advice when I get my bass. And I'll probably still be hitting you up for the shit I can't do yet. I look forward to more fret noise in my bass tracks :)

fprod south- hey man. Still digging that cover you did bro. Frigging rocks. Maybe if I make a CD you'll let me put that on there as a bonus or hidden track.
The acoustic on this tune was a Guild recorded with a SM58. I still have that guild, but it needs a lot of work and adjustment. But I love its warm tone. The problem is the strings are 9 and a half inches off the fretboard, making it very difficult to play. Actually when I was recording this tune, I had to wait about 5 minutes between takes to rest my hands. Painful.
I picked the notes in the middle of the soundhole to get the warmest tone possible. It takes a little getting used to, but I liked the sound so much better than playing the bridge, which is of course more trebly sounding. Cheers!

ooo someone's got it bad for me. Another 1 star. Like it's gonna change anything.

Step into the light, genius boy. Let me know what it is you don't like and maybe I can change for you.

Is it the hair? Oh God it's the hair, isn't it.

freaking sweet man... :p I dig the new harmonies in the beginning. The bass is smooth. The vocals sit perfect... Great mix...

but I don't dig the new drum arrangement... (please don't kill me :( ) I'm not saying to change anything, though... it's just personal preference... don't mind me. :p I just "hear" it differently in my head. (along with all the other voices. :p)

WATYF

I liked the drum track on it, except just one crash kinda leaps. Everything else was really smooth and alive sounding. Guern, you are one serious cut of beef! Nice playing and tone.

I'm firing this up right now. I love this song so this should be fun.

It sounds very good. The bass is very well played (as usual). I have to say, honestly though...I like the "practically naked mix" better. This is such a great song that it seemed to me that the extra instrumentation got in the way (especially the drums). I'm sure that just has a lot to do with my being so impressed with this song the first time I heard it and since I saved the "practically naked mix" and listen to it quite often, that is what my palate has settled on.

Still though, this sounds very good and it is still an excellent song. Nice work both of you guys

SLuiCe said:
ooo someone's got it bad for me. Another 1 star. Like it's gonna change anything.

Step into the light, genius boy. Let me know what it is you don't like and maybe I can change for you.

Is it the hair? Oh God it's the hair, isn't it.

That's funny. I noticed that the song used to sound good, but now that the star average has gone down, it sounds worse. I'll give you a 5 to pull the average up a bit and improve the song. :D:D:D:D

P.S., it's the hair.

.....just another example of some DICK trying to ruin the credibility of the star option at this site. If you have a problem w/ something, grow some balls and speak up. I know SluiCe would appreciate it...and for the purpose of learning, I would too.

The problem w/ the stars is that you dont have to post a response to post stars. This makes them unaccountable. Im hoping that someday that will be fixed. For that reason, I understand why alot of folks in here dont like to waste time w/ the stars. ....it really is too bad because its a feature at this site that ive always appreciated as a way to give a pat on the back for a job very well done.

Tom, everyone already knows what a fantastic song this is. You know that. ....so i know you take no offense from this childish shit.

Like most everyone else in here, Both Tom and I truly appreciate a thoughtful critique..... both positive and negative........ ....so to whom it may concern, dont be such a PUSSY .....its just plain weak.

Last edited:
i never heard the original, but i can tell you that this is a very well put together song.
im realy impressed and i must say your vocals are sitting in this mix almost perfect.
someday i will learn how to do this(i must i tell you,lol).
i cant hear anything with the mix that realy stands out as being off.
i love the realy thick acoustics it sounds good to hear them sound so thick.
ive played some of the new guilds and they do offer a very warm tone.
thanks for sharing this with us.
god bless, tim pate

Back