GSN Opus Project

Tekker

Hi everyone,

Me and a few others over at Guitar School Network (formerly Guitar Mania) have collaborated on a song that we named "The Opus Project" (for a lack of a better name :D) and would like to get some honest opinions on it.

I did the mixing (and the drums) for it and it is still a work in progress, but I just wanted to get some opinions so that we 'progress' in the right direction. :) So any comments on it would be greatly appriciated.

Thanx,
-tkr

Last edited:
listening....cool intro guitar ......that is agreat drum sound...man.......whew...nice......i thought all the guitars complimented each other pretty good in the mix.....the panning thing is a nice touch....really really good drum sound that is so hard to do congratulations......great ....a little bit of hiss at the begining......but thats about it....im no sound engineer so im sure youll get better critique from those who are...

excellent job

jamal

Thanks for listening jamal, glad you liked it. :)

I recorded the drums with a Radio Shack condensor over my drums pointed at the snare and a Rode NT2 at the other end of my small room at ear level where I have carpeted walls (usually for recording vocals... but it turns out it works great on drums too :)) and then I aligned the NT2 track to match up with then RS and panned them 52% R/L. Then added a Cakewalk stereo reverb and I must say that the Cakewalk reverb was the secret weapon in what brought those two mics together, because without it everything sounded a lot thinner. For kick I used an AKG D112 and scooped the mid EQ with a 10dB high and 5dB low boost at about 10kHz and 100Hz then used the Waves Ultramaximizer plugin and that was it.

My soundcard is an Aardvark Direct Pro 24/96 and I recorded and mixed with Magix Samplitude Producer (v6.04), and I believe that all of the guitarists were using Boss GT6's but I'm not sure what all they were using to record with though...

-tkr

Ok I made a few changes on it (and see if that fixes the hiss sound you were hearing at the beginning).... I edited the first link so it should still work.

-tkr

I really like the clean guitar tone. Very creamy. The only detractor for me was starting around 1:05 when the crunchy lead guitars come in. Watch the levels. They "jump" out a bit too much at times. Also, I don't hear a bass (not dubbed in yet?). This is a minor quibble though, I very much like what you have going on so far.

Sounds really good!
Nice job on the collaboration.
How did you guys accomplish it,mp3's?

The only things I heard were,the snare is a tad too loud and the backround rhythm guitar sounds slightly out of tune.
Minor nitpicks.:D

Great guitar playing,you guys really rock!

Pete

Thanks a lot guys,

Track Rat,
Nope no bass yet, I'm gonna have a friend of mine add it in, which I think will really add a lot to the song...

I'm still working on that crunchy guitar part, I'm tying to figure out how to get it to be only in both speakers but not in the middle, but still have it be clear enough to be heard without being overpowering... I have a Cakewalk stereo delay with the dry turned all the way down and the wet all the way up with different delay times for the right and left (so it's kinda like delaying a doubled track, but without the second track taxing the CPU)... but it really mushes it and you can't really hear what it's doing unless it's a bit louder.

Though actually after listening to it in the headphones, I realized that it somehow got moved out of time just slightly (it's just a little behind the other tracks). The timing really sticks out in the phones but in the speakers it just sounds mushy. I'll try fixing the timing and see if that doesn't clear it up a bit.

muzeman,
Yep, all mp3's...

There are a few spots where it might be slightly out of tune, but I think it's probably a few of the solos that are out of tune if they only tuned to a tuner and didn’t try to tune to the song... But like you said, it’s very minor…

...And I'll see what I can do with the snare (though I kinda like it loud :D).

-tkr

Back