Grunge rock style song thinking Nirvana cica 1993 - Mixing help Newbie

powerbob247

Hi there,

Thanks for your attention on my post, it is appreciated as there are so many posts being made on here its hard to give each one attention and feedback, so im just saying thanks in advance.

I'm new to recording, singing and mixing / production, i did a song about a year ago and posted it up and got some helpfull opinions and advice on mixing, that song was an acoustic so was fairly simple to do but i was picky with the guitar sound so it ended up taking me about a week to finish it. Anyway on to a year later and i decided to do this this morning, i wrote it quick and sang adlib on the fly, instruments are electric guitars, bass guitar, addictive drums vst, and vocals, only effects on vocals are backing vocals which is a lite compressor, the guitar obviously has different effects for each verse, chorus and lead, bass i straight in no effects, theres no reverb or delay on vocals as i found using them made the vocals sound worse, im using cubase 5, theres a multiband compresser, a maximiser and a uv32 which i was told to use by a cubase tutorial. The song is called no reaction and is about 3.40 in length and is verse chorus verse chorus, lead then chorus out, i did a mixdown to 16bit mp3 and put it on soundcloud - Thanks again everybody

no reaction by Stevemeyersmusic on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

There are some noticeable timing issues with the guitar that plays in the left ear starting at 1:43. It gets off beat with the drums the most at 1:58-2:07 (the first bend is always a bit early). Other than that the mix sounds pretty good. I think the guitars are a little loud though. From a musicality standpoint I'm iffy on the vocals, but since it's grunge I guess it's supposed to sound like that, right? Good song overall.

Yes its is grunge so i made a point of sounding slurred speach and tired through the verses and harmonies, i could lower guitars and pan another guitar somewhere, but thanks for the advice, i dont think ill go back and re record the lead part because im not (obviously) looking for pro results

I hate the term "grunge", but I don't see this as being anywhere close to "grunge" or anything Nirvana did. Slurring and tired speech to try and imitate a heroine burnout is weak. It's like you tried to pull some of the "Penny Royal Tea" type harmonies, but that's about it. There's no feeling or emotion to the song and the mix doesn't help.

Bigger/layered guitars, panned to make a wall of sound. Let the drums push the track. Push the vocals down a little bit to sit lower in the mix. This is too sparse and monotonous.

You need more guitars or at least another fatter one opposite the distorted thing.
Some out of tune vocal spots.
Sounds like a borrowed Nirvana 1/2 riff.
The nasal vocals sound - seriously - like a voice from a revenge of the nerds movie - sorry but if you affected that for gravitas it failed.
The early guitar is annoying.
There are some good parts so your should persist & retrack the problembits then reup for mix help.

Yeah I agree with the other comments. You need to double track and pan the guitars to fill it out. Song's got potential though

thanks im aware of the timing issue, thats just the way i interpret grunge singers so i copied best i could, cheers for pointers

Back